Chain guide/bash plate recommendation- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2019

Chain guide/bash plate recommendation

I have a Giant XTC 27.5+ hardtail with SRAM Eagle NX 1 x 11 with a 30 T narrow/wide chainring and 42 x 11 cassette. I dropped may chain a couple of times recently and am thinking of a combination chain guide and bash guard. Any recommendations with regard to e*thirteen TRS Plus vs. MRP AMg Alloy chain guide? I have ISCG05 mounting locations on the frame.
    2018 Giant XTC 27.5+ hardtail

Elitest thrill junkie
    Something is not right with your setup. I'm racing hard enduro and doing park days and not dropping my chain, as I've done for years, not to mention all the downhill otherwise. An XTC is an XC bike and should not need a chainguide and if you really were riding it that hard, harder than I ride in the expert class, then you'll surely snap that hardtail in no time. Something is wrong with the setup, clutch, chain length, etc.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Something is not right with your setup. I'm racing hard enduro and doing park days and not dropping my chain, as I've done for years, not to mention all the downhill otherwise. An XTC is an XC bike and should not need a chainguide and if you really were riding it that hard, harder than I ride in the expert class, then you'll surely snap that hardtail in no time. Something is wrong with the setup, clutch, chain length, etc.
    ^ or too many miles on chain or other parts. I'll drop a chain around the time it's time to change it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Absolute Black one is excellent, FWIW. Weighs next to nothing too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    Absolute Black one is excellent, FWIW. Weighs next to nothing too.
    Thanks! I prefer the Absolute Black design to others as the lateral adjustment is done at the guide rather than the frame mount. This makes installation a lot easier and results in a stronger mount for the bash plate. Looks like a great product and I will go with it.
    2018 Giant XTC 27.5+ hardtail

mtbr member
    If all things are right and good and you are dropping the chain, who am I to argue. Way back I had a couple MRP guides and they were solid. However, I must add that I agree with the others, something does not seem right. Since 1x, narrow wide chain ring and clutch derailer's, I havn't thrown a chain in years except when I had a faulty NX derailleur . It was a known issue with some, and SRAM sent me a GX exchange. Problem solved. I also ride flow, jump lines, tech, drops, bike park...exc. Chain stays on without any guide. In fact, the last two bikes I got came with factory chain guides and I removed them right off the bat. Just not nesassary any more. I would first check your NX derailleur or have a good shop do it. I stopped in at SRAM booth during a bike fest to have em look at it, and that's how I learned that some of the NX's were faulty and throwing chains.