mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Carbon wheels what have you tried?

Hi everyone, I came off some old Enve M70 s last year and hated them, I couldn't ride very long without fatiguing. This year I have wrecked my e-thirteen aluminum rims already (cheap version). Now I am trying to decide between high end aluminum DT EX511 or some carbon rims (Noble, We Are One, or Santa Cruz, they all have good warranty) I want forgiving wheels but I loved the durability of my Enves. What do you think?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thought about the new Enve's? Much more compliant. I didn't like the old ones either, the new ones are much nicer. Tires mount easier, come off easier, and I no longer feel beat up after a ride of more than 2 hours.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Of your listed Santa Cruz for the warranty.
    But I build with Sapim Laser spokes for a comfortable ride using CarbonFan rims. DT 350 hubs make a wheelset about $650. Carbon rims practically build themselves because of the stiffness and tolerances of the rim. Not stiff like an Enve.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, Iíve done 100 mile races on my Nexties and Light Bicycles. I love stiff wheels, they go where I point them.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I've owned nobl TR36 and nox farlow. Of the 2 the nox give a significantly more compliant ride imo. The nox's are built with cx-ray spokes and I am not knowledgeable enough to know how much of a factor that is in how they feel. If I were to buy a wheelset right now it would be nobl 100%.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

EAT MORE GRIME
    1) Easton Haven 27.5 carbon (pricepoint firesale) non-boost

wheels are fine but the hub does develop some play that needs adjustment as everyone on the internets complaned about. snappy acceleration, ride fine.

2) i9 Carbon Pillar 310's 27.5 24 hole boost
    just outstanding. take abuse and no play, no issues whatsoever
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I have the ibis logo carbon rims on my mojo 3 and they are great, seem very stiff yet not harsh. I also have the bontrager line pro 40s on my stache and those are great as well. Both have been issue free and are much cheaper than the over-priced enve rims

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm riding Knight Enduro 30 inner, 27.5, 28h. The ride quality is pretty phenomenal compared to chinese rims. Laterally stiff, vertically compliant-ish and light. Good rims.

Painful to remove a tire, I broke the rear rim but got a crash replacement quickly. These are the only two issues I had.

I'm selling them because I don't want to risk breaking a rim again, and ruin a weekend. But I would love to keep them for long/fast rolling days.
    French line enthusiast and expat in Denver, ig; lazoup

I Like bikes, I really do

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Tried the older Enves, but it was all on demo bikes so couldn't tell if the harshness was from the suspension not being set up right for me or the wheels. I own a pair of Ibis 741 and they've been great. I recently put on a pair of We Are One Insiders on my 29er and those are awesome as well--no harshness with some damping yet still and point-and-shoot steering.

mtbr member
    I've got two sets of Light Bicycle rims. No complaints after ~6years of use.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I've got a set of Carbonfan and Nox wheels, can't tell any difference between them. Ride is not harsh and they track very well. Both have been trouble free and taken some hard hits.

The difference is really in warranty. I did crack a Nox rim a few months back, totally my fault with low tire pressure and too soft shock settings. Was 15 mins into a Sedona ride, tire wasn't leaking so said screw it and rode rest of day with no issues. Took it into my LBS, Nox sent a new rim at no charge and was rolling again in a week. That would not happen with Carbonfan, which is not a knock against them at all as you know that going in and why the wheels cost significantly less.

always licking the glass
    I really like my derbyís. Theyíre pretty solid. I have mine laced up to Hadley hubs using cxay spokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Hadley hubs for sale

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Enve AMs/DT240s - used for 3+ years - retina detaching, but bulletproof.

We are One Insiders/DT240s - used for a month+ - great. Almost unnoticeable/forgettable. My bike rips, but I don't know how much is attributable to my wheel set. Just got back from an evening ride. Mind blowing.

E*13 TRS/DT240s - ditched after 1 ride - heavy.

%$#$*!
    Light Bicycle with DT Swiss and Nobl TR33 with nobl/onyx hubs.

LB is very nice and inexpensive but I greatly prefer Nobl. They have an excellent balance of stiffness vs. compliance. They track really well and I love the silent sprag hub. Canít use anything else now!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I haven't tried any yet, but have a pair of We Are One Agents on DT350 waiting for my next frame. Reasonable price, made in Canada, and lifetime warranty were my reasons.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Barely in control
    I think that trying to link carbon wheels with being fatiguing is silly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    I think that trying to link carbon wheels with being fatiguing is silly.
    Not at all. You can make carbon rims so stiff they provide a very harsh ride. Even on a FS bike as the suspension cannot filter out the high frequency vibrations the stiff rims impart on the bike.

This doesn't have to be an issue, but it's something you need to consider relative to your body weight, the layup being used and the rim profile when selecting carbon rims.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by beefmagic View Post
    Light Bicycle with DT Siss and Nobl TR33 with nobl/onyx hubs.

LB is very nice and inexpensive but I greatly prefer Nobl. They have an excellent balance of stiffness vs. compliance. They track really well and I love the silent sprag hub. Canít use anything else now!
    I've been running Nobl TR33's and 36's (with Nobl/Onyx hubs) for over a year now, and can't envision running anything else either.

Dig the product, and the people there have been cool to work with also.
    2019 Salsa Cutthroat Rival 1
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS
    @tubbnation (IG)

mtbr member
    ^Agreed.
    There are whole threads dedicated to why this is not possible but one ride between different rims and the feedback is immediately apparent.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I've only used the Shimano XTR carbon laminate. I really liked them, they have aluminum rails and carbon everywhere else. It mixes some flexibility in them. I do have some Ibis 942 with i9's on order.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Iím a big big at 225-230. I donít jump but I hammer on northeast rock and have a decent group of wherlsets to say are holding up well.

29: my favorite Derby rims on my 16 Remedy with 3 front and 2 rear. Great set up but due for new tread.

27.5: Nox set and Stanís ....both sets awesome. Stanís and Stan hubs beating and all. Good!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I built up a set with Light-Bicycle with I-9 Torch hubs a few years ago. After a few spoke adjustments, they never made a peep. Rock solid and for good money. Spoke tension was just about perfect the day I sold the bike.
    Liked them enough to put LB rims on my road bike and TT bike.

Got a great deal on a set of Reynolds Enduro's with I-9 hubs. Can't tell the difference between the two sets.

IMO much of the way a wheel rides is based on spoke tension rather than the rim. Even an overbuilt rim will feel soft if the tension wrong for the weight of the rider.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Another vote for the We Are One Agents. I have them on my Yeti Sb5.5 with Hope hubs and love them. Recently proved pretty tough as well. I cased a pretty big double and sheared my valve stem...no damage to the rim or spokes. Not really sure how it's possible. But I have full faith in these wheels now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

+1 Santa Cruz Carbon Reserves

I put a set of Carbon Reserve 27's w/i9's on my V2 Bronson C a few months ago and have since put them through a gauntlet of aggressively ridden east coast rock gardens, flow trails, and lift days. I couldn't be happier with their feel, weight, and durability. Needed one minor re-truing of the rear after running some super low pressures for a few sessions of smashing rock gardens and jumps in the park, but have been fine under the same conditions since-- guy at the shop said the wheel seemed to have been laced up on the loose side from the factory.

For reference:
    - Riding weight fully suited up is ~215 lbs.
    - FW: 2.3 DHF, RW: DHRII both at tire pressures ranging 17psig - 30 psig
    - V2 Carbon Bronson
    18í SC Bronson Carbon S-Build
    Carbon Reserve 27 Hoops, i9 hubs, Float X2

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Not at all. You can make carbon rims so stiff they provide a very harsh ride. Even on a FS bike as the suspension cannot filter out the high frequency vibrations the stiff rims impart on the bike.

This doesn't have to be an issue, but it's something you need to consider relative to your body weight, the layup being used and the rim profile when selecting carbon rims.
    I'm calling that out, unless I just somehow picked the best rims in the world, from fly-weight XC to my fat rims (and I have several in between), this is in no way real. You want wheels to be stiff so they go where you point them, especially in high-G situations.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

EAT MORE GRIME
    ^ I agree with Jayem

I am running 27.5 pillar carbon 310's on my chariot and they are mighty strong and stiff and reviews say stiffest wheel ever...but tire pressure + fork damping + the wheel itself just makes a sweet ride I have no complaints. they track extremely well when leaned over and on the rivet. I have used a 'soggier wheel' on the front (aluminum) and hated it. give me the stiffest spoked carbon wheel ... I'll manage
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I haven't ridden ENVEs but I'm super happy with my Zelvy wheels. Phenomenal warranty as well (true lifetime).

Worth checking out plus they look great as well!

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

Oh so some people say carbon bars dampen vibrations but you say carbon rims cause them, and there is no data where this is actually measured. Sounds like mountain biking superstition. Also I can swap a carbon wheelset with DT XM401 and if you blindfolded me I couldn't tell you which one I was riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Oh so some people say carbon bars dampen vibrations but you say carbon rims cause them, and there is no data where this is actually measured. Sounds like mountain biking superstition. Also I can swap a carbon wheelset with DT XM401 and if you blindfolded me I couldn't tell you which one I was riding.
    I didn't say every carbon rim was an issue for every rider. I might start riding a set of tires tubeless and not get a flat for 3 years. I wouldn't then claim that flats didn't exist.

If you have two wheelsets [whatever the material] that work for you awesome.

Personally I am getting rid of the carbon 35mm bars that came on my new bike and installing some Spank Vibrocore AL bars with a 31.8mm clamp to get a less stiff setup.

OTOH I can ride a bike without padded shorts for 7hrs every day for a month and not notice any issues. I don't try and convince my friends with padded shorts and chammy butter that saddle pain is not a thing.

Everyone is different.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com