Canyon Strive "Shapeshifter" very interesting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Idea! Canyon Strive "Shapeshifter" very interesting

nvphatty
    that's pretty wicked!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    So like Bionicon?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Is that still Alloy or Carbon?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    So like Bionicon?
    But without the wobbly divey proprietary dual crown fork and with any shock you desire to fit.

I've never really understood the fascination with these systems, they never seem as effective as just getting the leverage curve and geometry right in the first place.

On the other hand, I really like the extra long wheelbase option they're offering, about time manufacturers caught up to that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    So like Bionicon?
    Well except this solution is ultra elegant and lite..

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimant View Post
    Is that still Alloy or Carbon?
    It's carbon. I'm considering buying the bike, but the only thing that's putting me off is the potential maintenance issues that could rise in a couple of years. The pricing of the bike with the spec is incredible compared to similar bikes. For me, here in Norway, I could buy a full bike with X01, pike, monarch etc for the same price as a Santa Cruz Nomad frame.

mtbr member
    very interesting, but the bottom bracket heights are a bit too tall in my opinion. 365mm (14.4") is awfully high by today's standards. Even when climbing, a 14+ inch bb height will make one feel as though they are perched way up above the bike, rather than it feeling like a natural extension of the rider. That's fine on fire road climbs, but if it gets rough, that can really work against you. The 'lower' bottom bracket setting, while better, is still 13.6". That's the precise reason that I don't like the feel of Ibis bikes. They're great in every way except the fact that they feel extremely tall. They seem to fight the rider's motions more than other brands. My bike is right around 12.8," which is very low, but the handling is incredible. Just my opinion. But the rest of the bike looks very good indeed. I'd love to see them brought into the USA.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Axa
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Bionicons upgraded G2 dampening cartridge are supposed to address the diving issues due to unsuficient low speed compression damping.
    I guess anyone who don't understand the point in geometry adjustment, are just not rideing steep enough both up and down?
    I do several climbes where success in getting up or not, totally rellays on the help of lowering my Talas (still miss the easy ETA "semi-auto" lock-down) and the auto semi lock-up Magic link rear. (Superior to the Scott Genius manual lock-up i usedto ride.)
    But I'm just so fed up with having to adjust the Talas down on the fork leg.
    In the terrain I ride most of the time, there just is no good moment for letting go off the bars before heading up a steeeeeep climb, or downhill rock gardens.
    The ETA was a bit easyer to work on. And easyertto not forgetting to adjust back up before heading down, since the range was so much greater and noticable then on the Tales adjustment. But doing it down on the fork leg will never be ideal on proper trails!
    Cant wait to get on a Edison Evo and have it all in on single button under my thumb, and perfectly balanced - Just press the button and lean in the desired direction to get the desired geometry..
    Last edited by Axa; 07-07-2014 at 03:52 AM. Reason: spell check!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Axa View Post
    Bionicons upgraded G2 dampening cartridge are supposed to address the diving issues due to unsuficient low speed compression damping.
    I guess anyone who don't understand the point in geometry adjustment, are just not rideing steep enough both up and down?
    I do several climbes where success in getting up or not, totally rellays on the help of lowering my Talas (still miss the easy ETA "semi-auto" lock-down) and the auto semi lock-up Magic link rear. (Superior to the Scott Genius manual lock-up i usedto ride.)
    But I'm just so fed up with having to adjust the Talas down on the fork leg.
    In the terrain I ride most of the time, there just is no good moment for letting go off the bars before heading up a steeeeeep climb, or downhill rock gardens.
    The ETA was a bit easyer to work on. And easyertto not forgetting to adjust back up before heading down, since the range was so much greater and noticable then on the Tales adjustment. But doing it down on the fork leg will never be ideal on proper trails!
    Cant wait to get on a Edison Evo and have it all in on single button under my thumb, and perfectly balanced - Just press the button and lean in the desired direction to get the desired geometry..
    Well, when I rode those bikes my own rig was a high quality coil (custom valved shock) 6" travel bike. I rode bionicon's "DH/FR" bike, at about the same weight, maybe a few lbs lighter, as my coil bike, with the ability to drop the front end and turn it into a "climbing bike", but I found that the ETA on my own rig gave me 90% of the functionality and the single pivot (no linkage) air-suspension on the bionicon was fairly poor. Despite having 2" more suspension on the bionicon, my linkage controlled coil sprung bike felt better and much more controlled. So the problem was my "standard" bike did everything better.

Now that my FS is a 29er, I no longer have some of the problems that plagued that old 6" coil bike that I used to have. Air shock quality has improved and the 29er, despite 160mm of travel up front, does not have the propensity to flip backwards during steep climbs like the 26" bike did. This means I don't have to be flicking an ETA switch all the time, which is a nice change. And with the short stays and low BB, it descends as well or slightly better than my old aggressive 26er. So the 29er enduro climbs way better and possibly descends a little better too.

I don't think that bionicon idea is completely without merit, but I'm not so sure what actual gains there are, especially on a modern efficient bike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.