mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Cannondale Super V....Decision

Super V Carbon 900 - late 90's vintage versus Super V 1000 (vintage 2000). Both around $300. Which would you pick and why (first mountain bike)? Is the higher number the better bike??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mank View Post
    Super V Carbon 900 - late 90's vintage versus Super V 1000 (vintage 2000). Both around $300. Which would you pick and why (first mountain bike)? Is the higher number the better bike??
    I hate to break it to you but these are ancient relics that ride like poop. Both of them. If you're buying because you want a piece of questionable design history, you might want to post in the vintage forum for more info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Okay great, so which one rides less poopy? And for $300 (or less), expectations are not the highest. Any suggestions in that price range?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    BTW, I'm a 60 year old guy with cancer (deep remission). Probably not going to be banging around with either too much!

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    I have a Super V 1000 and it's a great town bike. I would not trust a20+ year old carbon bike.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Avoid the ancient Cannondales. Buy a basic used 29er hardtail. You’ll have a much better experience learning to ride. I promise.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    What are your thoughts on a 2008 Prophet 4. Not quite ancient, but....

Not seeing much in the way of 29" ers out there?

mtbr member
    Congrats on the remission... That prophet would be a considerably nicer bike, but I still wouldn't pay much over $300 for it unless it was in immaculate shape. You might want to check bikesdirect.com for cheap/decent new bikes. Used can end up being a money pit for many various reasons.

mtbr member
    What are your thoughts on a 2008 Prophet 4. Not quite ancient, but....

Not seeing much in the way of 29" ers out there?
    Much better option than the Super V.

I have to ask though - why another Cannondale? I have one in my garage, but if I'm looking for a good used bike I don't think I limit myself to brands or even models. Find the best deal possible on the best bike.

mbtr member
    Okay great, so which one rides less poopy? And for $300 (or less), expectations are not the highest. Any suggestions in that price range?
    300$ means you're looking at random trash from the past 3 decades. There's a lot of random stuff at the bottom of the barrel. Me, i'd be looking for a nice urban bike; my 70 year old mom got a new deore-equipped commuter bike with shimano hydros for 430$. With some mtb tires it's certainly more capable than the super v...

If you want to go mountain biking push your budget upward and stop looking at chaff. It doesn't cost any more if you later sell it because it's insufficient or uninteresting.

A prophet is miles ahead of any super V, but it might be even worse since it's still 10 years old. Refurbishing these relics can easily eclipse purchase price.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I ride an 05 Prophet. Newer bikes ride much better of course but it rides great to me.

Now I didn't buy an old beat up complete. I found an immaculate frame and built it up so take that with a grain.

Still a prophet will own a super v of any year. I would avoid old carbon as well.

And yes major grats on remission! Best of luck and health to you in the future.