Canfield Yelli Screamy- Mtbr.com
    The White Jeff W

Canfield Yelli Screamy - Happy Birthday!

I revived this thread for my Yellis 3rd birthday. 3 bikes have come & gone since I built this and it's still the one I reach for first. Ive changed a lot of things since I first built it but still love the bloody thing.

Finished my Yelli this morning.

XL frame

Marzocchi 44 Micro TI @ 140mm
    Stans Flow Wheels/Hope Pro II hubs
    Specialized Purgatory 2.4 tires
    Formula Oro brakes
    Truvative Stylo single speed cranks
    Shimano 12/36 cassette
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 01-30-2014 at 06:01 PM.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Very nice Jeff. Looks real comfy with the slack seat tube.

Do you have an overall weight for it?

the WALKING DEAD
    Jun 2006
    Sweet sled. Please post back with your riding impressions. How do you like the head angle, bb height, chainstay length, etc. How does it compare to your last bike? Also, what was your decision making process when deciding on this frame? How did it look coming out of the box, were all the surfaces machined? Thanks.
    Your momma's so nasty, she keeps ice between her legs just to keep the crabs fresh.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by aph72
    Please post back with your riding impressions. How do you like the head angle, bb height, chainstay length, etc.
    I've only had it for a spin around the neighborhood so far. Right off I can tell it's too tall with the fork at 140mm. The handlebar sits about an inch taller than my Yeti 575 with a Fox 140mm fork. The HA is 69* with a 100mm fork so as you can imagine it's pretty slack at 140. I'll give it a go at 120mm but I suspect 100mm is gonna be money for where I ride. Other than just feeling tall it seemed to handle pretty well and felt well balanced.

I chose this frame mainly for the slack HA and short chainstay length. One of the things keeping me away from 29ers was the fear of it being big & clunky so a tight frame like this seemed like a good starting point, + the price was right

Pedaling is very responsive. The ride is nice. I'm not sure if it's the frame, the 29" wheel or the big fat tires but it was noticeably smoother riding than my Chumba HX1. Tons of tire clearance in back. The fit & finish is very nice. It went together with no surprises or drama.

Just waiting for the snow to melt so I can get it out for a proper trail ride. I'll update after I get a few rides in.
    No moss...

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw
    Very nice Jeff. Looks real comfy with the slack seat tube.

Do you have an overall weight for it?

Just under 29 lbs with 800 gram tires + tubes + a little snow on the tires. I'll set it up tubeless when I get a chance.
    No moss...

think
    Jul 2008
    Flip the stem and run it at 140. That stems got a whole bunch of rise in it, and I bet the bars have some too. You could bring the bars down a whole bunch easily.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by bad news
    Flip the stem and run it at 140. That stems got a whole bunch of rise in it, and I bet the bars have some too. You could bring the bars down a whole bunch easily.

I thought about that but its still gonna be really slack up front and high at the BB. I need to open up the fork to do the anti stiction mod anyways. I'll probably give that a try first tho. Did wonders for the handling on my 575
    No moss...

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad news
    I think this is a good idea.
    You've got nothing to lose by trying it. Get the handlebar height where you like it before f'ing with the fork.
    Super fun bike, enjoy it!

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Got mine done too It's a Medium. No ride impressions yet since there's been a crap ton of snow on the ground for a couple weeks

Parts list:

-2010 Medium Silver Yelli Screamy
    -2010 Fox F29 RL 120mm tapered steerer 15mm thu axle
    -Shimano SLX crankset and bottom bracket. Using Truvativ NOIR carbon bashguard and ti 32t sprocket
    -Blackspire Sub4 pedals
    -SRAM XO super short cage
    -SRAM X9 trigger shifter
    -EDGE flat carbon bar
    -KCNC 70mm +5/-5 stem(soon to be replaced with a Syntace Superforce 75mm +6/-6 stem)
    -Some crap seatpost I had laying around(ControlTech post on the way)
    -Specialized Phenom Expert 130mm saddle
    -ESI Chunky grips
    -Formula RX brakes with sintered pads
    -Hope SAW 160mm rotors with ti bolts(front is going to be 180mm when adapter shows up)
    -Salsa QR seatpost clamp
    -Connex 911S chain
    -Bontrager FR3 2.3 tires
    -Gorilla Tape tubless conversion with Stans valves
    -Salsa Semi 36h 30mm rims
    -DT Swiss Competition spokes
    -DT Swiss alloy nips
    -Hope Pro2 front hub
    -Hope Pro2 singlespeed rear hub
    -Shimano XT 34t cassette with custom machine work by Waltworks. Using top 6 gears on the carrier and one 13t loose cog.
    -modified MRP 1X bottom bracket mount chainguide. I wanted a bashguard so I'm only using the inside piece which I ground down extensively with a bench grinder. Works great! I've had the guide for a few years so I didn't destroy a brand new piece

The bike weighs 26.6lbs as it sits. Should drop to around 26.4 when the new seatpost, stem and brake parts show up. Not really concerned with weight on this build but everyone always asks

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    im running rebas at 120 but with zero-stack lower cup which I find pretty good. Steering feels more precise than with Fox F29 at 100mm with 9mm (bolt-up) front hub. The rebas have 20mm maxle:
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/115795269035553255174/albums/5721626302115050625

Here with the bolted up F29s at 100mm

Here with the 20mm rebas at 120mm travel

The White Jeff W
    Bumped for my Yelli's 3rd birthday!

No moss...

mtbr member
    Nice looking whip!! how are those purg tires holding up for you?
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    You're making me nervous about the weight of my upcoming Nimble 9 build up! I don't have too much money to throw at it and if these builds are pushing high 20s I'm unsure where I'll end up.
    I collect the best mountain biking deals and write about how to save you money!

BudgetMTB The Best Mountain Biking Deals

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by jkad View Post
    Nice looking whip!! how are those purg tires holding up for you?
    I liked them while I used them. Relatively light for a big knobby tire and tons of grip. At some point I changed over to lighter less aggressive tires for the dry summer conditions then put them back on in the winter.
    No moss...

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSpringer View Post
    You're making me nervous about the weight of my upcoming Nimble 9 build up! I don't have too much money to throw at it and if these builds are pushing high 20s I'm unsure where I'll end up.
    Probably high 20's! lol

I hover around 200 lbs so I tend to over build my stuff. Heavy, yes, but takes a beating.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    90% of the builds I have seen are in the high 20's. 100% of the builds the owners LOVE!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    90% of the builds I have seen are in the high 20's. 100% of the builds the owners LOVE!!
    That's all I've read! I can't wait..
    I collect the best mountain biking deals and write about how to save you money!

BudgetMTB The Best Mountain Biking Deals

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I just finished my Yelli and it ended up at 25 lbs 13 oz. Here's the build:
    Revelation Dual Air 140mm
    SRAM XX1 cranks
    SRAM PG 1070 cassette
    SRAM X9 shifter
    SRAM XO 10 spd RD
    Canfield Bros Crampon Mag pedals
    Easton Haven carbon bars
    Lizard Skins Peaty grips
    Cane Creek 110 headset
    Crank Bros Cobalt 3 stem
    Crank Bros Cobalt 3 seatpost
    Crank Bros Cobalt 11 saddle
    Shimano XT brakes
    SunRingle Charger Pro wheelset
    Kenda Nevegal tubeless

Could have gone lighter on the tires, used foam grips instead of lock-on rubber, and gone lighter on the seatpost and stem. But overall a pretty light setup and it climbs like a mountain goat. I have been having issues with clearance on the XX1 cranks, which I am still trying to troubleshoot, but I have been super happy with the bike so far.

mtbr member
    My friend just got one of these and its really nice. He built it up as a SS and its pretty light for what it is!
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

mtbr member
    cool lookin rides

Members who have read this thread: 0