calling all Fox 36 Talas RLC owners...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

calling all Fox 36 Talas RLC owners...

I'm way past due on my 30 hour suspension fluid service. Can anyone point me to a tutorial or describe how to do it? I've looked all over the Fox website, but I can only find instructions for old model R and RC2 Talas forks.

Rabid Lana Fan
    This video should help. You may want to consider ordering some of the new Fox seals for the lowers. Supposed to really reduce stiction, according to all the latest buzz. (Unless your fork already has them, of course)

Competitive Cyclist shows you how to overhaul your Fox forks and shocks - YouTube
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

b a n n e d
    Seriously? How many different forums are you going to post this in? What's worse, is that not only have you gotten multiple answers now, a simple Google search would have told you exactly what you need to know.

Given what happened with your brakes, I'm predicting a thread in the near future bashing the "poor directions" and a ruined shock . . .

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    This video should help. You may want to consider ordering some of the new Fox seals for the lowers. Supposed to really reduce stiction, according to all the latest buzz. (Unless your fork already has them, of course)

Competitive Cyclist shows you how to overhaul your Fox forks and shocks - YouTube
    Thanks, I've already seen that. It's an old model Talas, and the tutorial is incomplete. If you've done the 30 hr. suspension fluid service on a recent vintage 36 Fox Talas RLC, can you list the steps?

Are the new Fox seals supposed to be better than the Enduro seals?

Rabid Lana Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    Thanks, I've already seen that. It's an old model Talas, and the tutorial is incomplete. If you've done the 30 hr. suspension fluid service on a recent vintage 36 Fox Talas RLC, can you list the steps?

Are the new Fox seals supposed to be better than the Enduro seals?
    Honestly, I haven't opened up a Fox fork with the newer FIT damper, but I believe the process for removing the lowers (which is all you have to do to change the seals and the bath oil) is the same.

This may be different on forks equipped with the FIT damper, but I don't know. I don't think it's any different, though.

On a Fox fork, I would probably go with the newer Fox seals over Enduro, and Enduro over the older Fox seals.

I just replaced seals on my Lyrik, and used Enduro seals.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    try this

WebHelp

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    try this

WebHelp
    Old/outdated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I just responded to your other thread. You are crazy my friend. I thought I had OCD. Don't ask for advice if you are not willing to take it. You have recieved sage advice/links from other people that you immediately dismiss. Sounds like you would be best served paying someone to do a five minute job.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    I just responded to your other thread. You are crazy my friend. I thought I had OCD. Don't ask for advice if you are not willing to take it. You have recieved sage advice/links from other people that you immediately dismiss. Sounds like you would be best served paying someone to do a five minute job.
    Honestly, this is spot on . . . if you aren't willing to utilize the advice given to you when you ask for it, then please don't ask for it (especially multiple times). You have been given direct links to several sources now that instruct in exquisite detail how to perform a simple oil change on your fork, including directions straight from the manufacturer.

Yes, I realize that the pictures aren't EXACTLY the same as what you have (i.e., different colors, etc.) but I assure you that they steps are spot on and unchanged . . . otherwise, Fox would have updated them.

For your own sake, you might really want to consider leaving this to a professional (who most certainly will follow at least one of the instructional sets that you have already been given).

mtbr member
    Old/outdated.
    dude, its from fox's 2012 webhelp. if you are too stunned to figure it out take it to your lbs

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    You have recieved sage advice/links from other people that you immediately dismiss.
    1) I've received no links to any information about a Fox 36 Talas RLC FIT fork, which is the fork I am interested in servicing.
    2) Working on one model Fox fork is not the same as working on another model Fox fork.
    3) Different Fox forks require different parts.

In short, I have found almost NO information about how to do the suspension fluid service on a Fox 36 Talas RLC FIT fork.

My goal was to get into contact with people who have actually done the service for that fork model--not people who want speculate that part of this video or that outdated tutorial might work for my fork.

Thanks for your interest.

b a n n e d
    1) I've received no links to any information about a Fox 36 Talas RLC FIT fork, which is the fork I am interested in servicing.
    2) Working on one model Fox fork is not the same as working on another model Fox fork.

In short, I have found almost NO information about how to do the suspension fluid service on a Fox 36 Talas RLC FIT fork.

My goal was to get into contact with people who have actually done the service for that fork model--not people who want speculate that part of this video or that outdated tutorial might work for my fork.

Actually, you have gotten the exact info you need, from some VERY knowledgeable people, but for some reason that is beyond me, you can't seem to find it. I found explicit instructions for your fork on the multiple links to the fox site you have been given . . . for whatever reason, however, you don't seem to think this is good or reliable information. At this point, there is nobody here on any of these forums that will be able to help you.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that the information you have gotten in this - and the other two threads you started - is EXACTLY what you need in order to do an oil change in the lowers on your fork. There is absolutely zero question in my mind about that. I'm sorry you can't seem to grasp that . . . good luck with your fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

No good

You are hilarious my friend. You are correct; the myriad posters who gave you links to instructions are mistaken and speculating. To ensure you correctly perform your multifarious service, I highly recommend you find instructions for a splash oil service for a Fox Fork that is: the same model year, the same model, the same damper; the same length steer tube, the same color, and ridden by the same 60 year old virgin.

Good luck with that service; I am out!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Honestly, I haven't opened up a Fox fork with the newer FIT damper, but I believe the process for removing the lowers (which is all you have to do to change the seals and the bath oil) is the same.

This may be different on forks equipped with the FIT damper, but I don't know. I don't think it's any different, though.

On a Fox fork, I would probably go with the newer Fox seals over Enduro, and Enduro over the older Fox seals.

I just replaced seals on my Lyrik, and used Enduro seals.
    Thanks for the advice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    To the op, I've service an 06 float 130rlc and a 2011 talas 150 rlc. If all you need is to replace oil and seals, the video from CC is all you need to know. The procedure is the same just like what several people here had advise. It's actually easier than taking apart your dampers from the top. Just have a rubber mallet handy. The lowers don't just come off that easy especially if you haven't service your fork
    for a while. Hope this helps

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the info digifun.