Buying used Bike Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2020

Buying used Bike Help

Hello, I am looking at a 1994 gt zaskar. this is the description Custom built cross country GT. All components upgraded. Shimano XTR brakes, derailleurs, and 9spd cassette. New XT crankset. Fox Terralogic fork with Kashima coating. Mavic 317 disc wheelset built with titanium spokes. 23.7 lb bike. Frame size LG. And this is what he said about how much he has used it The frame is 1994. I bought new and it sat in my parents garage for about 16 years. I rode it the first year and then moved away and left it. Sometime around 2011 I stripped every component off and upgraded. Iíve probably put less than 100 miles on it since then. I replaced the bottom bracket last year with a XTR external setup and XT crankset and havenít rode it since. He is asking 650 and I'm wondering what a fair price for this bike is, or if I should even get it. I've never had a mountain bike and I'm currently looking for a good starting one.

WillWorkForTrail
    If youíre willing to pay $650 for a bike (used or otherwise) youíd be better off getting something new from a shop. That bike is priced ok for a collector, and a collector would be a good stop for that bike, but itís not going to provide the most satisfactory riding, nor is it going to be the easiest to find parts for. Get a modern bike with modern parts and wheel sizes etc. Entry level low end bikes can be had for that price or less, although I would look a little higher. For example, look at the Giant Fathom 29.

mtbr member
    There's no way I would pay $650 for a 26 year old bike but it appears to be in pristine condition. Nothing wrong with that as a first bike but $400 max is what I would offer. When it comes time to give it some attention you will go crazy finding what you need to maintain or replace components.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    With the new parts wouldn't I be replacing those instead of old parts? Or how does that work. I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Really the most I'd like to pay is 500 but preferably more like 300. So given that information do you still recommend me getting a bike from a shop or should I look for newish bikes that are used? And if so would you be able to give me some bikes/components to look for. I was trying to get a used felt edict 9 50 but I'm pretty sure it's either sold or a scam. Also what are some places to look for used bikes. So far I have been using Craiglist and Facebook marketplace as they seem to have the most options.

Ride what you like!
    Everybody here is gonna say "Buy a new bike". If you want people more keen on used bikes, try the 26" or vintage section. The vintage section will have more experts, specifically ways to verify that it indeed is a Zaskar, they're a pretty common one to see faked by putting Zaskar stickers/parts on lower end models. The Zaskar has a big following, so value is weird, the collectability changes the value. Not sure if upgraded parts would hurt or help in the collectors market.
    The revolution starts now
    When you rise above your fear
    And tear the walls around you down
    The revolution starts here

Ride what you like!
    Here. Read this, it has some info regarding the fakes vs the real. Also a few value numbers thrown around, but the posts are a few years old, so take it as historical value.
    https://forums.mtbr.com/gt/not-sure-...e-1003350.html

mtbr member
    There's great used deals out there on much newer bikes than a '94 GT. I sold this 2 years ago for $400. 2007 Kona Dawg Supreme

Buying used Bike Help-dawg.jpg
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinGee View Post
    Hello, I am looking at a 1994 gt zaskar. this is the description Custom built cross country GT. All components upgraded. Shimano XTR brakes, derailleurs, and 9spd cassette. New XT crankset. Fox Terralogic fork with Kashima coating. Mavic 317 disc wheelset built with titanium spokes. 23.7 lb bike. Frame size LG. And this is what he said about how much he has used it The frame is 1994. I bought new and it sat in my parents garage for about 16 years. I rode it the first year and then moved away and left it. Sometime around 2011 I stripped every component off and upgraded. Iíve probably put less than 100 miles on it since then. I replaced the bottom bracket last year with a XTR external setup and XT crankset and havenít rode it since. He is asking 650 and I'm wondering what a fair price for this bike is, or if I should even get it. I've never had a mountain bike and I'm currently looking for a good starting one.
    This the bike for collectors and so is the price. If you hava emotional commitment to GT Zaskar and you will pimp it up and have it for display, showing off or just have it in own garage for personal joy - then its worth this price.

If you are looking for bike to actually ride like commuting, trail riding etc - thats about 640$ too much for it. You can get few years old bike with modern parts and geometry for 500$ - not to mention servicability and finding parts. No one will buy 25 years old bike for actual everyday riding....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinGee View Post
    With the new parts wouldn't I be replacing those instead of old parts? Or how does that work. I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge.
    Well, let's say that you have an Edsel and the water pump goes out. How hard to you think it would be to source a new one to fix it?

Even new parts on bikes can, and do, break. Finding replacements for something that old can be a challenge.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    94? Buy a newer bike! Nothing is upgradeable on that thing. Itís a collectors item.

Ride what you like!
    "Sometime around 2011 I stripped every component off and upgraded. Iíve probably put less than 100 miles on it since then."
    Why would a freshly rebuilt bike need an upgrade?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    As people are saying, it's a collector's item.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    There will be a ton of people selling newer bicycles at rock bottom prices just to make rent/mortgage/utility/car payments. Keep an eye in all the usual places that sell used bicycles, and look at those usual places frequently and you will undoubtedly find a great deal on a newer used bicycle that is 10 yrs old or so. Of course there are always the thieves that sell bicycles but in this day in age, with covid19 and all its hard to tell the difference between an angry ex selling stuff off, a broke tenant trying to make ends meet and a crack head needing their next fix.