Butcher frame....good deal?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Butcher frame....good deal?

Hello all, I'm very new to the sport, though I've ridden bicycles all my life, and mainly got back in for fitness reasons, I'm loving it. I bought a new hardtail Pitch 650B about a month ago. I totally love this bike for singletrack, bike paths, and commuting, but I'm already getting the hankering for an FS rig. I had thought that for an FS bike I might want to build one up from a bare frame. I found a Santa Cruz Butcher frame that I think I can get for about $300 including shipping. I know it is a size medium, same as my Pitch (I'm 5'9, 33" inseam), but that's about all I know except that the Butcher is a pretty tremendous platform. I figure that if I'm patient with purchasing other components, waiting for sales/good deals that I can build this thing up into a damn good ride for about $1000-1200. Is this a good deal?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Butcher frame....good deal?-santacruzbutcherhelena.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    $300 and it is in good shape? Bearings are good, no dents or cracks, and headtube is round, I'd say it's a good deal. If you want to swap the 650b wheels from your hardtail, people have fit them on Butchers, but it's designed for 26" wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    From the CL photos it looks perfect...maybe a small scratch/scuff on the headtube. I don't think it's ever been built up...I think it was bought as a frameset and the guy never built it into anything. Good thinking on the 650B wheels. I did read that they will fit on the Butcher. At some point I'd like to get a dedicated set of wheels for the Butcher, but at least in the meantime I'd be able to ride it. But I'll need everything else, and beings that I cant really even afford this frame right now, no telling when I'll be able to afford the rest of the parts I'll need to complete it, but its a good start I figure.
    The guy is throwing in a Thomson seat post, Hope collar and the stock SC collar. All that plus shipping for $300. I'm including all the rest of the photos with the ad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Butcher frame....good deal?-00a0a_8w2zzqjtqot_600x450.jpg  

Butcher frame....good deal?-00f0f_aequtpayefu_600x450.jpg  

Butcher frame....good deal?-00y0y_fcmdaw4g16x_600x450.jpg  

LCW
    mtbr member
    Looks pretty solid... sounds like a good deal if there aren't any hidden cracks (sometimes hard to tell on a black frame).

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Looks pretty solid... sounds like a good deal if there aren't any hidden cracks (sometimes hard to tell on a black frame).
    Ya, I worry about stuff like that, and why I hate making a purchase like this without seeing the piece in person. The seller said there is the scuff on the headtube, and some signs of chain slap against the right chainstay, so he did indeed build it up, but that the frame is in otherwise good condition. I'm gonna take a chance on it I think. I'm not really ready for an FS rig yet, having only had my new hardtail a month, but I think this is a good deal so I'm gonna jump on it.