Broken Rear Hub Axle sleeve- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2020

Broken Rear Hub Axle sleeve

I have contacted multiple mechanics and I am unsure of the cause. The sleeve that the axle goes through on my 2018 stumpjumper comp has broken 2 times now. Not sure of the cause. It has broken right where the free hub body attaches.

Thanks! Eli
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Single Track Mind
    That looks like a re-branded Formula Hub--Sram 746 or something similar-- and speaking from experience, they are garbage. Replace it! Get new wheels and don't look back.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Whatever OEM hub your bike came with isn't durable enough for you. It's pretty common for OEM hubs to be junk. Most people won't snap axles like this, but if you ride hard, or weigh more than 190, it can happen. I would get your hub warrantied and sell it, or see if they'll upgrade you to something more robust. If you've snapped that axle twice, you're likely going to snap it again.

As for the cause, you're probably just riding hard, maybe doing some drops to flattish landings? Even if you're 100% tires on the ground, you can still snap an axle just from pounding the bike over rough terrain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    I weigh 150lbs, what you described is fairly accurate. I do a fair amount of jumps and drops. It seems though that It should be able to take it considering I'm not even using all my suspension and its a rugged trail bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikeloco View Post
    That looks like a re-branded Formula Hub--Sram 746 or something similar-- and speaking from experience, they are garbage. Replace it! Get new wheels and don't look back.
    Do you have any advice on what to replace it with? Could I just get new hubs and keep the rims?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli116 View Post
    I weigh 150lbs, what you described is fairly accurate. I do a fair amount of jumps and drops. It seems though that It should be able to take it considering I'm not even using all my suspension and its a rugged trail bike.
    While your bike is plenty capable, that doesn't mean specialized didn't cheap out on certain parts. OEM hubs are notorious for being subpar. Often times even when you think the bike you bought has top end parts you end up getting OEM versions of what you would get had you bought a la carte on the aftermarket. You're an aggressive rider if you've snapped two at 150. I would push specialized for whatever heavy duty hub they'll give you. If they will only give you what you've got, sell it and buy something else. I'm guessing you're denting up the rear rim and pinching casings too. You'll want to start running heavier rear rims, hubs and casings or you'll keep having rear wheel issues. The rear wheel is the weak link for aggressive riders.

Single Track Mind
    I replaced mine with i9 315c's. But that was always my plan, so the price didn't throw me.

mtbr member
    Hadley Hubs - DH'rs hub of choice for that very reason.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Eli116, if what you have is indeed a re-branded Formula hub (very possible since Formula's bread and butter are OEM hubs), well, you could do worse, but you most certainly can do better. If it were me, if the rims are holding up, swap the rear hub. I personally like Hope hubs. Tough, easy to rebuild/replace parts IF it's ever needed. But, everyone has their favorite.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've had a Hope pro hub do this about 4 times. Eventually I contacted them about it and they sent me a steel version of the axle.

Same style...150 lbs, lots of air time and gnarly trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    I've had a Hope pro hub do this about 4 times. Eventually I contacted them about it and they sent me a steel version of the axle.

Same style...150 lbs, lots of air time and gnarly trails.
    Ooo, ill look into that, that sounds ideal. I'm not sure if its an option though.

since 4/10/2009
    part of this is related to where the bearings support that axle. Better hubs generally support the axle better, though that varies.

I only wonder if you're doing this to your hub and still not bottoming your suspension, if maybe your suspension settings could use some work, too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    part of this is related to where the bearings support that axle. Better hubs generally support the axle better, though that varies.

I only wonder if you're doing this to your hub and still not bottoming your suspension, if maybe your suspension settings could use some work, too.
    Nope they are set up perfect, 30% sag rear, 25% front. They will bottom out on the biggest hits, which is good since I use all the travel.
    Thanks Eli

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli116 View Post
    Nope they are set up perfect
    I highly doubt that. almost nobody has a perfect suspension setup. but, it sounds better than you initially suggested.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It may not be worth it to keep the wheels and just replace the hub, (cost of new hub + un install + reinstall hub) as opposed to just sourcing a new or good used rear wheel (or wheel set). You've quickly discovered the Achilles heal of that wheel set unfortunately. bike mfgs have to cut corners somewhere and very often it is the hubs.
    2015 Santa Cruz 5010 C