mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Brand New Rider Looking For Perfect Bike !!

Hello All,

Last weekend i have the opportunity to go Mountain Biking with my friend and i fell in Love !! its time to invest in my own Bike. I prefer very windy trails ! dont care too much about max speed, just want to be able to get up little rock walls and that Nature.

im 6'2 (if that matters). Any Info would be Greatly appreciated. Looking to spend between $2000-$2500.

Thank You !

mtbr member
    Dec 2018

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hey, I notice you live in Croton.. I'm nearby up in Walden NY. Please feel free to contact me if you'd like to ride. I can show you around Stewart State forest near me or me and some buddies can meet if you ever wanna ride blue mountain or anywhere else. As far as a bike goes, what bike did you ride last weekend? You'll have to figure out if you prefer 29 or 27.5 wheels.. so if you can demo some bikes that'd be the place to start. Once you get a better feel for what you're looking for, you can decide on buying from your lbs, direct sale online, or used on a website like pinkbike.com. Don't rush it.. you're spending a good chunk of money so you want to get it right. The bike needs to fit you well, first and foremost. Then you go from there. Don't hesitate to ask any questions along the way. And let's ride sometime.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Welcome!

Do you have a type of bike in mind? Full suspension, hardtail, trail,cross country?

From your description, it sounds like you were doing some cross country style riding. For that,with your description of what you're into, and your price range, I think id be looking for a short travel trail bike, or one of the more recent full suspension,somewhat more aggressive xc bikes.

A 29'er may also be a good idea. They tend to have better ability to roll over rocks and roots.

As a blind guess based on what you said, try looking at, or demoing the Marin Rift Zone. It's a reasonably priced 120mm travel full suspension mountain bike with fairly moderate geometry.

And, the other advice to demo, and ride more is great. When you find out what you like best, it's easier to find something that works for that .

Good luck on the search .

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hey where'd OP go? Jeepers, hope I didn't somehow scare him off. Bueller?