Maverick Rider
    Sep 2017

Bike that is very similar to the Maverick ML8, does it exist?

I have a ML8 and I thinking of what I should do when the frame breaks, but I can't come up with what to do.

A Durance? Something completely different like a Nicolai Helius?

Out spokin'
    Go clean slate. Check out the http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/po...e-1063077.html.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Most bikes you find today will be dramatically better. You won't find much similar, but that's good.
    Last edited by One Pivot; 03-04-2018 at 04:28 PM.

mtbr member
    I think designers have moved on. You should too.

Out spokin'
    Hey MaverickRider, I hope we don't sound flippant. Let me share my experience as a way of explaining where we're coming from.

I average approximately one new bike a year. But I have a commuter bike, a singlespeed, a hardtail, a full suspension bike, a road bike, blah, blah. So not a new FS bike each year. In fact when I bought a new FS bike last year, my previous FS bike was six years old. I believed my old bike (which I still considered my new bike) was one of the best bikes of its era (Turner Sultan with DW Link suspension).

And it was indeed good. But it never fit me quite right so eventually I decided to replace it. I did so with a 2017 "modern geo" longer travel bike that could accept both 29" & 27.5+ wheels/tires (I'd never experienced Plus wheels/tires and I wanted to see what that's all about). The upshot -- I could not believe how much mountain bikes had improved since I'd purchased my latest one in 2011. Unbelievable. These new bikes are confidence inspiring and supremely capable. Understatement. I'm riding in ways I never believed I'd be able to ride. Having way more fun. And I've been mountain biking since '85. I mean a lot since then. Kind of obsessively, actually.

So the long answer is we're suggesting you close your eyes and fall backward into the hands of modern frame design. Trust us. There WILL be someone there to catch you. In fact you'll be blown away once your wheels hit the ground. Even more so once your wheels leave the ground.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Need to know more about your riding, what you like about your Maverick, where think it might need improvement, and what you are looking for and hope to get out of new bike.
    Do the math.

Maverick Rider
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Need to know more about your riding, what you like about your Maverick, where think it might need improvement, and what you are looking for and hope to get out of new bike.
    Mostly long distances over roads and XC trails and in the summer lots of night riding, local trails aren't extremely difficult or have long ascends. I like how the ML8 is one of the most efficiently pedaling bikes out there, how insanely good it climbs, it's 170mm of rear travel, how easily it jumps, and the integration with the DUC32, downside is proprietary parts and the fact that it's 13 years old by now. That, and why not try something else for a change?

What i'm looking for is basically this: enduro/AM, efficient suspension that needs no things like ProPedal/platform, around 160mm travel, any color as long it's black, and above all: something I can get in Yurop. I don't care about wheel sizes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you have a chance to ride a dw link bike try it out. Pivot mach bike or Ibis mojo, even the yeti sb66 (not dw). Those bikes pedal insanely well and use their travel exceedingly well.

I agree it's time to move on and you're going to be stoked!

If you don't want to go full modern with longer and slacker designs and save money, a used Ibis mojo hd is an excellent option. Very well built, don't be afraid of the carbon frame it's quite stout. That's what I ride still and it's an amazing climber and can be optioned out to do hard core trails as well as xc, just depends on what you want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickRider View Post
    A Durance? Something completely different like a Nicolai Helius?
    As and when the ML8 floats it's last you could do a lot worse than a Nicolai. A G13 might come as a bit of a shock though, a lot's changed since 2005!

Get demo rides on as many bikes as you can when the time comes. Modern bikes are probably less plush than Mavericks were for sat down riding (it's a long time since I had a go on an ML7, but I remember it being extremely comfy when climbing or riding flat in the saddle), but they're better at just about everything else.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    A couple of the guys responsible for the really good Maverick designs are riding Spot Brand - Rolliks and Mayhems - well - matter of fact - one is the design engineer for Spot and their Living Link suspension... might be something to look into. Extremely good pedaling / efficient, modern geo, high end carbon frame layup... just a thought.

EAT MORE GRIME
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Maverick Rider
    Sep 2017
    Massive bump:

Has any former Maverick rider tried anything with Nalid's R3act? From what I read it should be very similar to Maverick's Monolink.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickRider View Post
    Massive bump:

Has any former Maverick rider tried anything with Nalid's R3act? From what I read it should be very similar to Maverick's Monolink.
    Oh man, it's been a long time. Lemme see what i can dredge up from memory...

monolink was a floating BB design, where it kinda split the difference between a URT and a single pivot. That style suspension doesn't exist any more; the last holdouts i'm aware of was i-drive and freedrive, from the Dorel companies. As i recall, the maverick implementation had lots of pedal kickback, but it didn't totally turn into a hardtail when you stood.

In the 15 years hence (and especially in the last 5) mountain bikers have come around to realize that what linkage a bike employs isn't really that important. There's a couple reasons for that:

-further refinement of damper technology
    -wholesale adoption of 1x drivetrains
    -more widespread understanding of how to design a proper suspension
    -more narrowly defined design objectives

The linkage choice puts limits on what can be designed, but you can build a good suspension out of any of the popular styles in existence.

Which is all a really wordy way to say 'don't compare a new bike to your maverick, figure out what you like and go for that.' It sounds like you liked the combination of lots of travel with lightweight/sporty handling behavior?

The react bikes have a lot of pedal kickback, a rising rate linkage, and fairly low brake squat. Having ridden one i found the rear end to be unacceptably flexy, and the front end was much too short... but that's my taste and whose to say i'm right?

The usual disclaimer for folks riding really nice old bikes- new stuff rides/handles really different. It's really better, but it will feel foreign on your first couple outings.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Have you had a chance to try a more modern bike? I think you might be shocked at how good a ~120mm 29er works, especially for the kind of riding you're describing.

What we considered to be a good climber back in the day is really pretty bad compared to what we have now. My new single pivot bike pedals better than my 2 older maestro bikes.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Oh man, it's been a long time. Lemme see what i can dredge up from memory...

monolink was a floating BB design, where it kinda split the difference between a URT and a single pivot. That style suspension doesn't exist any more; the last holdouts i'm aware of was i-drive and freedrive, from the Dorel companies. As i recall, the maverick implementation had lots of pedal kickback, but it didn't totally turn into a hardtail when you stood.

In the 15 years hence (and especially in the last 5) mountain bikers have come around to realize that what linkage a bike employs isn't really that important. There's a couple reasons for that:

-further refinement of damper technology
    -wholesale adoption of 1x drivetrains
    -more widespread understanding of how to design a proper suspension
    -more narrowly defined design objectives

The linkage choice puts limits on what can be designed, but you can build a good suspension out of any of the popular styles in existence.

Which is all a really wordy way to say 'don't compare a new bike to your maverick, figure out what you like and go for that.' It sounds like you liked the combination of lots of travel with lightweight/sporty handling behavior?

The react bikes have a lot of pedal kickback, a rising rate linkage, and fairly low brake squat. Having ridden one i found the rear end to be unacceptably flexy, and the front end was much too short... but that's my taste and whose to say i'm right?

The usual disclaimer for folks riding really nice old bikes- new stuff rides/handles really different. It's really better, but it will feel foreign on your first couple outings.
    Hey MaverickRider,
    Without wanting to tell you what you should do, you should listen to Scottzg cuz he know what he's talking about.
    And I know enough to know that what he said is spot on. Just sayin'.
    It's a new world. You will be assimilated.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

change is good
    Sep 2004

Bike that is very similar to the Maverick ML8, does it exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Hey MaverickRider,
    Without wanting to tell you what you should do, you should listen to Scottzg cuz he know what he's talking about.
    And I know enough to know that what he said is spot on. Just sayin'.
    It's a new world. You will be assimilated.
    =sParty
    A Fox 36 and its competitors crush the DUC. FS design in the past 5 years is amazing. Not just pedaling efficiency, but also in durability when going fast banging down rocky trails.

I have a soft spot in my heart for classic bikes, but a 10 year old F150 canít touch my 2017.

But many owners love their old trucks........

This is your next bike https://alchemybicycles.com/arktos275

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro