mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Bike Choice....5010 or Scout?

Looking at these bikes from Evo. Unless there are cheaper options out there. Looking for my first full squishy. Have owned both Santa Cruz Chameleon and rode my wifes Transition Trans Am some. No bikes now but looking to buy. Here they are. The two Transitions are different yr models...GX is a 2017 and NX is a 2018.

https://www.evo.com/mountain/transit...ange-gloss.jpg

https://www.evo.com/outlet/mountain/...-complete-bike

https://www.evo.com/mountain/santa-c...-ink-black.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have a '16 5010 that I can't crow enough about, and a HT Norco with nearly identical geo (basically the same as a ~17ish Chameleon). For me, the CS length is the most important aspect in getting a bike that is playful and hoppy.

When I first started riding it, I was giddy, felt like I was playing a platform game and suddenly got the "double jump" upgrade. Frankly, still feel like that nearly every ride.

Compare the numbers - HTA and CS are the most important in my estimation. I also really prefer VPP/DW over FSA/Horst rear suspension, because it's less dependent on lockout.

SC will probably have better resale if that matters. SC's wheels (At least on mine) were pitifully narrow and immediately upgraded.

I have NX on the Norco and GX on the SC, both are fine, so I wouldn't let that sway you. 12spd vs 11spd is not really that big a deal if you have the range you need.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Im a Shimano guy so the NX GX thing is new. Why I thought about building frame up.

mtbr member
    Unless there are cheaper options out there.
    If you're just looking for cheaper, there is a *lot* of cheaper options. Santa cruz bikes tend to be some of the most expensive out there. I had a chameleon and I have very fond memories of it, but they do tick up in cost. Transitions too, but same story. Nice bike, on the higher end of cost.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Only really looking at SC or Transition. Was referring to cheaper dealers for either Scout or 5010.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen1978 View Post
    Im a Shimano guy so the NX GX thing is new. Why I thought about building frame up.
    Stick with shimano 11 speed over GX. Lots of added weight for minimal benefit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Looks like I will have to build one then as I dont see them coming with different options for drivetrain. Which is what Ive always done.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I tended toward Shimano as well, but really have no complaints about the SRAM drivetrain at all.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

mtbr member
    You dont state the type of riding you enjoy. So its hard to make an informed decision.

I personally would go for the 2017 transition. Its slacker, lighter and has better gear than the 5010. Going high spec 2017 rather than mid spec 2018 gives you the far better shock and fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Id say more XC / Trail type riding. Not into bombing DH or huge rock drops. Too many terms for MT biking these days and Im 40 so not into the hipster language. I think Enduro is the new AM. Im in central Colorado (Buena Vista) so we have alot of mellow stuff, pump track here in town. Also have some bomber stuff that Im really not into. Cruising single track is big here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Regarding the Transitions, keep in mind that the geometry changed significantly in 2018 with the introduction of SBG--more travel, slacker HTA, steeper STA, reduced offset forks. All available info says the 2018s are better in all respects. I've been bike shopping hard lately and nothing seems to truly compare with the geo on the new Scout. I'm pulling for Transition to release a carbon version this year so all the fanbois will flood the market with used GX alloy models.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Ditto to what RMCDan said about Transition changing geo in 2018. However, out of those 3 choices I would choose the 2017 Scout, since it has the biggest bang for buck by FAR! Compare the specs on that to the 5010, and the Scout is better in every aspect and well worth the slightly higher cost. It gets a BIG upgrade in fork, Pike>Recon, and GX EAGLE drive train is a step above NX 11 speed. Guide brakes are step above the Levels on the 5010. All of these would be very expensive to upgrade aftermarket. For bang for buck this really isn't even close, the 2017 Scout wins big.

The 2018 Scout offers the most modern Geo though, and this bike is the most All-mountain/ lite Enduro leaning of the bunch, if you were looking to hit drops and favor more challenging descents. But it sounds like you need more of an all-around/ "trail" bike anyways, so I would go 2017 Scout unless you can truley only afford the cheaper 5010 or have to have the Santa Cruz name. No shame in that either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If that damn 2017 GX wasn't red....! If I had my choice and I do but it will cost me a little more Id buy the new Scout frame in desert tan. Slap a Xfusion RL2 fork on it, Shimano SLX 1x11 groupset, Spank Oozy wheelset. The rest could be some pull off stuff I can find at LBS, etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Is 2700 a hard cap? Because the newest transition seems like it would be worth the extra 300 to buy the new one. BTW if you do a youtube search for 3 affordable bikes tested, there's a nice recent review on teh Scout.

As far as the 2017 Scout goes, as far as I'm concerned the reason to buy a Transition is that you are buying into their geometry philosophy. I'd spend the money for the latest Geo if I'm getting a Transition or I'd get something else entirely. It's basically what Transitions whole 'thing' is.

I know some people really love Santa Cruz, but I'm not a big fan of VPP. They pedal up hill fine when it's smooth but it feels like you're always lurching over stuff if it's technical at all (imho, ime, I'm sure the newest ones are better, etc. please don't lynch me). Where I live everything is up THEN down so flipping a lever isn't a hardship because you really only do it once per ride if at all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
    Is 2700 a hard cap? Because the newest transition seems like it would be worth the extra 300 to buy the new one. BTW if you do a youtube search for 3 affordable bikes tested, there's a nice recent review on teh Scout.

As far as the 2017 Scout goes, as far as I'm concerned the reason to buy a Transition is that you are buying into their geometry philosophy. I'd spend the money for the latest Geo if I'm getting a Transition or I'd get something else entirely. It's basically what Transitions whole 'thing' is.

I know some people really love Santa Cruz, but I'm not a big fan of VPP. They pedal up hill fine when it's smooth but it feels like you're always lurching over stuff if it's technical at all (imho, ime, I'm sure the newest ones are better, etc. please don't lynch me). Where I live everything is up THEN down so flipping a lever isn't a hardship because you really only do it once per ride if at all.
    Are you referring to a new Transition Scout NX?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
    Yep. Can't upgrade geo. Personally, I'd get this over the 2017 Scout: https://www.jensonusa.com/Banshee-Sp...Jenson-V2-Bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    Yep. Can't upgrade geo. Personally, I'd get this over the 2017 Scout: https://www.jensonusa.com/Banshee-Sp...Jenson-V2-Bike
    No larges in that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Transition scout; soooo sweeeet!

Ride it!
    TS

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Senior View Post
    Transition scout; soooo sweeeet!

Ride it!
    TS
    Kind of the way Im leaning. If new design I can really only afford an NX bike though.

mtbr member
    Nx uses the Shimano driver anyway. Changing over to slx or xt is surprisingly cheap. I wouldn't let that hold you up, those are wear items you'll be buying anyway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm sorry, I do my mtbring at work so sometimes I'm not as clear. Of those two, I prefer the transition NX. If it were me, I'd save just a little more for a 2019 because you get the debonair fork (I'd stack a newer debonair revelation against an older solo air pike. The newer debonair spring is great and really changed that fork). You get the 12 speed which I prefer because my area has a lot of climbing, and you get the WT tires.

They're not huge things but taken as a whole, they're probably worth ~$300.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Also looking at a Banshee Spitfire. Jenson has one on sale at 49% off for $2699 with SLX brakes, GX, Pike fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I hear ya on the newer Scout though. Not that much more money. But this Spitfire has everything already for $2700. Then there is this damn thing. Geez

https://www.evo.com/outlet/used/moun...ravel-grey.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If you're still thinking about it, here's a good discussion regarding the pre-sbg vs sbg transitions. A lot regarding the scout specifically

https://forums.mtbr.com/transition-b...d-1074297.html