which bike- Mtbr.com

Thread: which bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

which bike

I'm in the market for a new mountaiN bike. I road a GT karakroum that was very bare bones....it was stolen about three months ago and so its new bike time. I've narrowed my choice down to the Diamondback Syncr ($1200) and the the Specialized stump jumper st ($1870). Both bikes are under 2k but the question I have is should I go full suspension or hardtail? I know people say well it depends on the trails you ride...honestly I have flowy trails mostly with some rocks but most trails I ride have everything so its a mix. This is a major purchase and I want to make the right call as this will be a bike I ride for years. I've ridden both and like them both but don't know if I should pony up the extra doe to get a full suspension bike....any thoughts would be helpful...anyone riding one of these bikes?

thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Personally I prefer an fs bike for a mix of stuff you're describing, but really, it's personal preference. Are these the brands your lbs carriesand can you demo them both?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Modern steel hardtail are very capable and that's the reason why I sold my '18 Stumpjumper Comp Alu and build Pole Taival. I had only few mellow rides, but I haven't missed my FS. Around 2K you can get really good HT or very mediocre FS. Try to demo if it's an option.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I did ride both and I'm leaning towards the DB based on price....The Specialized didn't blow my doors off...but I don't want to buy a HT when FS is the future.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    With wider rims and tires hardtails can handles a broader range of terrain than in the past for many riders. Lighter, less to maintain and more of a challenge for fun on your local trails in Delaware. Chameleon is one. It'll cost you more than your current budget.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    With wider rims and tires hardtails can handles a broader range of terrain than in the past for many riders. Lighter, less to maintain and more of a challenge for fun on your local trails in Delaware. Chameleon is one. It'll cost you more than your current budget.
    Chameleons are more expensive than most FS bikes in my neck of the woods.

Check out Kona Honzos. Much less $$$ (again, where I am at least). I recently bought a steel one to ride on the flowier stuff.

which bike-fullsizeoutput_9f.jpg

Re-reading your post, I would think about that SJ. I bailed on one I had ordered at the beginning of last year in favour of another bike I demoed after I placed my order, but I often think about that SJ and am very tempted right now to pull the trigger on an Evo.

So many bikes I seem to need...

EDIT: OP - if you haven't already done so, take a blast through the Diamondback sub-forum. There seems to be tons of threads on the Syncr.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    One way of building a hardtail is capable and light under 25lbs. Not for all terrains. It would work for the OP in DE. Get 20 off a frame and build it up. You can have a top level component bike for under 3.5k The bikes he's looking at will be replaced for more money in a season or two.

Short-Change-Hero
    For mainly flow trail riding I would get an aggressive AM/Trail style hardtail and call it good. Maybe something like a Nukeproof Scout or NS Bikes Eccentric or one of the other steel hardtails out there. With a $2k pricetag your options are somewhat limited but you should be able to find something that ticks all the boxes.