Thread: Which Bike?

mtbr member

Which Bike?

After a full season of problem after problem with my husband's bike, our LBS has offered us a full refund on the bike which means he needs a new bike.

We mostly ride in the mountains. Lots of long, long uphills. Lots of long, steep, rooty, rocky descents. Not into jumping or lift access downhill riding.

His current bike is a 2017 Norco Fluid FS 7.1+. He loves the plus size tires and feels like the bike climbs well but feels like it lacks a little in the front end when riding downhill over bumps. (130 mm travel in the front, 120 mm in the rear)

While his bike was in for warranty for 5 weeks, he was given a Norco Range A2 29er as a loaner bike. He did not like how heavy this bike felt or how it climbed, but he did like how it felt going downhill. (160 mm travel in the front, 150 mm in the rear).

We will be looking at upgrading his current bike, so looking at bikes in the $5,500 CAD (<$5,000 USD) range. My husband is 6' tall and 200 lbs. We are upper intermediate riders and put close to 1000 kms of trails under our tires this year. He wants to stick with either 27.5+ tires or 29ers that will accommodate 2.6" wide tires. I do most of the maintenance on our bikes, so I would prefer the one that will either require the least maintenance and/or fixing, or will be the easiest to maintain/fix.

We are looking at:

Giant Trance Advanced Pro 29 Loading site please wait...

Rocky Mountain Instinct Carbon 50
    https://www.crankys.ca/product/rocky...on-50-8621.htm

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon 29er
    https://revolutioncycle.com/show/201...t-carbon-29er/

What do you think? Or are we missing some other great option here? We will not consider another Norco as the turn around time for warranty work was ridiculous.

Thanks! (Let me know if this should be posted in a different forum)

Meatbomb
    Can't go wrong with either of those bikes. He needs to demo each of them in order to make the best decision.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, any of those would have to be ordered in so the chances of really getting to ride one before buying are pretty slim. He could wait until spring, but that means not getting the end of season sale prices.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I personally would go with the completely new 2019 Stumpjumper that finally uses a standard shock as well as new geo. That's going to help with maintenance of the shock at least.
    You won't have to send it to Specialized.
    Shop different locations for 20% of the list. Talk price with a manager only.
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=236401-157618
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=253540-154958

mtbr member
    Have you looked at Kona?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mLeier View Post
    Unfortunately, any of those would have to be ordered in so the chances of really getting to ride one before buying are pretty slim. He could wait until spring, but that means not getting the end of season sale prices.
    Hmm, considering how much trouble the last bike was, does that LBS still want you as customers? Considering the amount of tech troubles you had and the shop that serviced you, are you sure you want to be w/o support from a shop? Are there other shops to choose from? Another thing, if you were to maintain the bike yourself, you'll want to buy from a brand that is more direct to consumer, otherwise warranties will be carried out thru a dealer anyways.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Does he have a wheel size preference..27.5 plus vs 29? There are lots of good option in your budget. If specialized is still on your list, I'd look at the 2019 models. Their suspension design is much improved, making for a better climber and more efficient pedaler than previous years. Dw link bikes are generally very efficient as well..ie. Devinci Django 29, Ibis Ripley ls, Pivot 429. If he really likes plus or plus compatible, he can look at an ibis mojo 3 ( I have one and it's fantastic ) or something like a rocky mountain pipeline. He'll be happy on any of these options. Btw, I don't think the 130 travel on your husband's Norco was the problem..the fork itself isn't great. He'll appreciate the jump in quality with his next bike. Good luck!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    YT Capra 29 CF pro - $5800 CDN

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Btw that new 2019 trance advanced 29er pro you linked looks sweet. That would be near the top on my list if I were in your shoes. Gets really good reviews and very capable downhill considering the shorter travel. Probably not quite the climber as the dw bikes I listed but plenty good. I'd love to have a short travel 29er along side my 27.5 plus some day.

Meatbomb
    Buy '18 and get a deal....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Hmm, considering how much trouble the last bike was, does that LBS still want you as customers? Considering the amount of tech troubles you had and the shop that serviced you, are you sure you want to be w/o support from a shop? Are there other shops to choose from? Another thing, if you were to maintain the bike yourself, you'll want to buy from a brand that is more direct to consumer, otherwise warranties will be carried out thru a dealer anyways.
    I don't know if they still want us as customers. They have offered to either give us a credit for the full amount that we paid for his bike towards a new bike or to give us a straight out refund. We are going to go with the refund but aren't against buying another bike from that shop. My husband is just turned off of Norcos at the moment. That LBS does carry Specialized as well though.

We won't be without the support of an LBS as we will be buying the bike from one of the shops around here. During the warranty period, all work on the bike will be done at the LBS that we buy it from. I wouldn't want to get into a situation where they could blame something that goes wrong with the bike on something that I did. It's after the warranty period that I will take on more of the working on the bike. At that point, I will basically try to do everything myself and only bring it to a bike mechanic if I screw it up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyfnz View Post
    Does he have a wheel size preference..27.5 plus vs 29? There are lots of good option in your budget. If specialized is still on your list, I'd look at the 2019 models. Their suspension design is much improved, making for a better climber and more efficient pedaler than previous years. Dw link bikes are generally very efficient as well..ie. Devinci Django 29, Ibis Ripley ls, Pivot 429. If he really likes plus or plus compatible, he can look at an ibis mojo 3 ( I have one and it's fantastic ) or something like a rocky mountain pipeline. He'll be happy on any of these options. Btw, I don't think the 130 travel on your husband's Norco was the problem..the fork itself isn't great. He'll appreciate the jump in quality with his next bike. Good luck!!
    He found it a little hard to compare as his 27.5+ bike is an XC bike and the loaner 29er was an enduro bike. He thinks that the 29" wheels may roll better over obstacles. Do you think that is the case? Or was that purely because of the front fork on the 29er? I think he would be happy with either. Thanks for that list of other bikes to consider. I will take a look and see if any of our LBSs carry them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    YT Capra 29 CF pro - $5800 CDN
    Man, I wish we had checked those out at CrankWorx.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Have you looked at Kona?
    We haven't really, no. Which model would you suggest and why?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I personally would go with the completely new 2019 Stumpjumper that finally uses a standard shock as well as new geo. That's going to help with maintenance of the shock at least.
    You won't have to send it to Specialized.
    Good to know. So stay away from that 2018?

mtbr member
    We haven't really, no. Which model would you suggest and why?
    Being you're near the Pacific Northwest, that's their home turf and I'm sure you can find a few shops and possibly a demo day (although the year is almost over).

The Process is their premier line, and back in 2013/2014 started the whole slack geometry trend. The Process has undergone a design update, and I'm still
    a fan of my 2014. I recently rented a 153 and it's a completely capable trail bike and climbs well. That's the model I'd recommend. However, they have other bikes I've never been on that may be worth a look as well. The Hei Hei, Satori, etc.

Kona in general is a brand that always got you more for your money.

www.konaworld.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I don't know if they still want us as customers. They have offered to either give us a credit for the full amount that we paid for his bike towards a new bike or to give us a straight out refund. We are going to go with the refund but aren't against buying another bike from that shop. My husband is just turned off of Norcos at the moment. That LBS does carry Specialized as well though.

We won't be without the support of an LBS as we will be buying the bike from one of the shops around here. During the warranty period, all work on the bike will be done at the LBS that we buy it from. I wouldn't want to get into a situation where they could blame something that goes wrong with the bike on something that I did. It's after the warranty period that I will take on more of the working on the bike. At that point, I will basically try to do everything myself and only bring it to a bike mechanic if I screw it up.
    The shop that is giving you the refund, that's pretty stand up of them. If they treated you well, I might stay there. And I was going to recommend staying going with Specialized and Shimano. Speccy have great support, lifetime on their frames. And Shimano is generally more reliable than Sram. I also dislike Sram's handling of warranties let alone taking care of some long standing recalls. They require everything to go thru a dealer, even for simple repairs you could do on your own if you choose so. With Shimano, you just call them up and they will send replacements direct to you.

That said, I like your choice of the new Stumpy 29er, even though there's no Shimano spec option.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    This is a crazy thread for a number of reasons. Asking for people's opinions online on what your husband is going to like best and then ordering it blind... Yeah. No.

As for Norcos, like Konas, they are generally overbuilt and purposely designed to handle the rigours of the shore. I have owned numerous of each, and currently have 2 Norcos and 5 Konas in my garage (among others). If your husband bashed the hell out of his his Fluid, best of luck with a Spesh (I have also owned a Stumpy and very carefully demoed the new Stumpy earlier this summer). My current go to FS trail bike is a 2018 Sight. My last go to FS trail bike was a 2015 Range.

I demoed a 2019 Stumpy Expert. If your husband did not like how the Range climbed, he may not like the Stumpy either. Both have Horst link linkage designs (although markedly different in feel). I have never been so gassed after sustained climbs as I was on the Stumpy I demoed for 2 full days at West Bragg Creek. And that includes my Range, which was SIGNIFICANTLY less soul sucking even with much higher gearing (mind you, I had that Range down to 27.5 lbs, even with Minions front and back).

Anyway, don't blame Norco if his bike fell apart. They are solid AF.

As for Norco and their warranty service, most bike shop guys in this forum will say that they are among the BEST in the business for warranty issues. If I had time I would dig up a few threads for you.

EDIT - for example, check out the last paragraph of post #16 in this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discu...t-1084282.html

There are numerous other threads as well.

Frankly, my view is that your relationship with your LBS largely dictates the kind of warranty service you get from ANY bike manufacturer. If your LBS is willing to put heat on the manufacturer, shit happens. If not, well, shit usually doesn't happen. Or not very fast anyway. For what it's worth, that's my experience over 25 years.

If you/he doesn't like Norcos or Konas and you want something overbuilt, maybe check out a Pivot Switchblade (or pretty much any Pivot). It'll cost you though. And nobody is going to be able to say what the fit and feel will be like for this or any bike, without your husband throwing a leg over it. Preferably for a real ride on some legit terrain, and not a quick blast up and down the street in front of the shop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Unless the OPs problems were frame or linkage problems the specs of the 7.1 level are likely at fault. A Recon fork and Monarch shock aren't going to last in mountain trail terrain. Shimano M365 brakes and Novatec hubs are not up to your terrain either.

Picking a bike with components that have a history of lasting will give you a better experience. The suspension on both 2019 Spec models will hold up for trail riding. And the frame has a lifetime warranty. Specialized hasn't listed the hubs on the GX model Expert. They use their own on the NX Comp. OK hubs. You can generally expect to upgrade your wheelset for most levels of bikes down the road.
    The way to get around that is to build up a frame with wheels you build yourself. Wheel building with Chinese carbon rims is very easy because of the stiffness of the rim. I'd explore that option for the future. A first timer can lace up a very good wheel with a 4-sided spoke wrench and a Park TM-1 Spoke Tension Gauge. It's not as big a jump as you may think. 1 step at a time.

And I'd avoid the 2018 Stumpy.

I'd take the cash and negotiate for your new bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    The shop that is giving you the refund, that's pretty stand up of them. If they treated you well, I might stay there. And I was going to recommend staying going with Specialized and Shimano. Speccy have great support, lifetime on their frames. And Shimano is generally more reliable than Sram. I also dislike Sram's handling of warranties let alone taking care of some long standing recalls. They require everything to go thru a dealer, even for simple repairs you could do on your own if you choose so. With Shimano, you just call them up and they will send replacements direct to you.

That said, I like your choice of the new Stumpy 29er, even though there's no Shimano spec option.
    Yes it is very stand up of them. That's also the shop with the women's group that I ride with. We would be happy to stay there, it just all depends on which bike my husband ends up. I really wish they carried Giant/Liv.

I agree with you on SRAM's handling of warranties. I have a second hand bike (bought when it was less than a year old) and they wouldn't honour the warranty on the sticky brake levers. Good to know that Shimano will deal direct, that could be important.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    This is a crazy thread for a number of reasons. Asking for people's opinions online on what your husband is going to like best and then ordering it blind... Yeah. No.
    Haha! Funny! People come into the women's lounge allllll the time and do the same thing. Since he has a general idea of what he wants, I don't think he would be unhappy with any of the bikes in that category. And people order bikes all the time without getting to try them. What about all of the direct to consumer bike companies? Not much of a chance of trying those out before buying.

Anyway, don't blame Norco if his bike fell apart. They are solid AF.

As for Norco and their warranty service, most bike shop guys in this forum will say that they are among the BEST in the business for warranty issues. If I had time I would dig up a few threads for you.
    I guess if you consider riding lots of kms to be bashing the hell out of his bike, he may have. Other than that, being solid blue riders, the hardest trail we have ever ridden would be the Into The Mystic/Lord of the Squirrels loop in Whistler. Everything else would be much tamer/shorter versions of the same kind of riding. Not into jumping and no big crashes on the bike, only one or two minor ones really.

In the last year, the bottom bracket on his bike was rebuilt 3 times, the second time with all new bearings. What took 5 weeks was having the rear hub replaced as it completely failed. To me, 5 weeks for a rear hub is unacceptable. I know people with cracked frames and other huge issues that had their bikes back in under 2 weeks with other manufacturers. We were in direct contact with Norco as well and they confirmed that it was not our LBS holding things up. Their response was "that's just how long things take" and they apparently bumped his wheel up to the front of the line. And still, 5 weeks! Got the bike back, took it for one super easy, gravel, double track ride and the rear hub feels like crap and sounds like it has marbles rolling around in it.

Thanks for your input on how the Stumpy felt climbing compared to the Range, that is exactly the kind of input I was hoping to find here.

The Pivot looks sweet, but I worry that the "enduro" classification means that it will be very similar to the Range when climbing. We do actually really like the climbing aspect of biking as much as we enjoy the downhill and would hate to end up with a bike that sucked the soul out of that half of the ride. There also does not seem to be any Pivot dealers anywhere close to us. Waiting for a demo day sometime next summer would mean missing out on half a season of riding and that would be the most soul sucking thing of all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Unless the OPs problems were frame or linkage problems the specs of the 7.1 level are likely at fault. A Recon fork and Monarch shock aren't going to last in mountain trail terrain. Shimano M365 brakes and Novatec hubs are not up to your terrain either.

Picking a bike with components that have a history of lasting will give you a better experience. The suspension on both 2019 Spec models will hold up for trail riding. And the frame has a lifetime warranty. Specialized hasn't listed the hubs on the GX model Expert. They use their own on the NX Comp. OK hubs. You can generally expect to upgrade your wheelset for most levels of bikes down the road.
    The way to get around that is to build up a frame with wheels you build yourself. Wheel building with Chinese carbon rims is very easy because of the stiffness of the rim. I'd explore that option for the future. A first timer can lace up a very good wheel with a 4-sided spoke wrench and a Park TM-1 Spoke Tension Gauge. It's not as big a jump as you may think. 1 step at a time.

And I'd avoid the 2018 Stumpy.

I'd take the cash and negotiate for your new bike.
    Thanks for that info. Do you think that the components on the Giant and the RM are ones that would last as well? What about the carbon wheels on the Giant, do you think that those would still have to be upgraded down the road? Those carbon wheels were why we were leaning towards the Giant (and me towards the new Liv Intrigue next year).

Do you have a source for some good chinese carbon rims? Wheel building is the next thing I plan to learn as I have a perfectly good hub from my bike sitting around.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Haha! Funny! People come into the women's lounge allllll the time and do the same thing. Since he has a general idea of what he wants, I don't think he would be unhappy with any of the bikes in that category. And people order bikes all the time without getting to try them. What about all of the direct to consumer bike companies? Not much of a chance of trying those out before buying.

I guess if you consider riding lots of kms to be bashing the hell out of his bike, he may have. Other than that, being solid blue riders, the hardest trail we have ever ridden would be the Into The Mystic/Lord of the Squirrels loop in Whistler. Everything else would be much tamer/shorter versions of the same kind of riding. Not into jumping and no big crashes on the bike, only one or two minor ones really.

In the last year, the bottom bracket on his bike was rebuilt 3 times, the second time with all new bearings. What took 5 weeks was having the rear hub replaced as it completely failed. To me, 5 weeks for a rear hub is unacceptable. I know people with cracked frames and other huge issues that had their bikes back in under 2 weeks with other manufacturers. We were in direct contact with Norco as well and they confirmed that it was not our LBS holding things up. Their response was "that's just how long things take" and they apparently bumped his wheel up to the front of the line. And still, 5 weeks! Got the bike back, took it for one super easy, gravel, double track ride and the rear hub feels like crap and sounds like it has marbles rolling around in it.

Thanks for your input on how the Stumpy felt climbing compared to the Range, that is exactly the kind of input I was hoping to find here.

The Pivot looks sweet, but I worry that the "enduro" classification means that it will be very similar to the Range when climbing. We do actually really like the climbing aspect of biking as much as we enjoy the downhill and would hate to end up with a bike that sucked the soul out of that half of the ride. There also does not seem to be any Pivot dealers anywhere close to us. Waiting for a demo day sometime next summer would mean missing out on half a season of riding and that would be the most soul sucking thing of all.
    A good friend of mine who is one of the most experienced bikers I know loves his Pivot Mach 5.5. He is just getting back from Moab today with it. That bike is a beautifully designed piece of modern industrial art. Maybe that would be a good candidate, although it's a 27.5, whereas the Switchblade goes both ways, so to speak. The SB is not for the feint of heart though. Most Pivots need rider input to bring them to life.

Don't discount the Stumpy on what I am saying. Personally, I am not a fan of large tires. I may be the only one out there who is of this mindset. I like 2.3s on a 29er. They are more precise, and lighter. I can nimbly pop off stuff much easier than even with 2.5s. But if one is into monster trucking, straight lining it at speed though the gnar, then yeah, big tires make sense. The Stumpies come with 2.6s. An easy change but that's what may have soured me on my ride experience. There were other things too. The Command Post was horrible. Most bizarre dropper I have ridden in my life, and I believe a non-standard seat tube diameter, so not an easy swap. Other stuff too really turned me off. Go to the Specialized sub-forum. There are a number of threads on the new Stumpy and on problems with the dropper, among other things. I had a deposit on a 29er S-Works by the way and bailed on it after I demoed some other bikes.

Personally, I think Giant has nailed the bang for the buck criterion. That Trance you posted a link to above is a sweet bike. There are things I might tweak but out of the box, it is tough to beat. But...has your husband ridden a Maestro linkage bike? Or a DW link bike? He may, or may not like it. Personally, I see women all the time in the Calgary area on Livs who effortlessly pedal through serious rock gardens as though they are on pavement. Giants and Livs seem to float over anything.

I got away from the floaty feeling when I got rid of my Range and got the Sight. A mid travel 29er is where it is at for me, in terms of trail feel and fun. I am no longer a fan of the muted feeling of being "over biked" for a lot of the terrain I am on. I have other coil sprung bikes for where the going gets rough. In fact, I just bought a hard tail. Should be interesting.

Take the money and test ride first. The risk is not worth any savings you might otherwise achieve. Giants seem to be slaying it lately on the bang for the buck scale. Maybe start there.

EDIT: yup - just looked at it again. That Trance you posted the link to above is a SOLID value. But when I bought my last FS trail bike, I spent days demoing bikes on legit dirt. There were days I had more than one bike so I brought a buddy with a pedal wrench so we could swap back and forth mid-ride. Getting the "nicest" bike made will totally suck if the fit is off, or if the kinematics or feel do not align perfectly with your husband's preferences.

That RM Instinct is killer too. LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of Rockies in the area (as you know). I know lots of guys with Altitudes and Slayers who LOVE them. Rockys used to be horrible on the bang for the buck scale (IMHO) but they have corrected things dramatically. That Instinct is SWEET! Again though, the kinematics of that bike will be unique to it. A lot of guys love how Rockys feel, and a lot don't. Plush is not a word I would use to describe the short and mid travel Rockys. That Instinct climbs like a billy goat BTW.

I changed my mind, ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL ON FIT, I would throw down on that Rocky over the Giant. But again, that's me.

Thankfully, IMHO, most of the better known bike companies are producing incredible bikes these days. It largely comes down to fit and suspension feel.

HEY -- here's another, MUCH BETTER idea...

https://www.mec.ca/en/brand/intense/...g_text=intense

Why not go check out some Intense offerings at MEC? INCREDIBLE customer service (as you know) and Intense has some supremely nice bikes at incredibly reasonable MEC pricing. And again - a no question return policy. MEC will NEVER turn its back on their customers. Even years later. Not sure about bikes, but other products? Nobody out there, not even Costco, has the return policy and satisfaction guarantee MEC can offer. And again, Intense bikes are 100% legit. Do some e-browsing today on their site, and then go check them out this weekend. They will have lots on the floor. Look carefully at them. The fit and finish on them is exceptional (IMHO). Not a fan of a lot of the neon colourways but thats just me. I bet you can buy, test ride, and return no problem too. Just ask them for the details on this. And the bike service department at the MEC in Calgary has been very very good I understand. I expect the Edmonton stores will be the same.

That's your answer. Great bikes. Great pricing. Second to none customer service. Zero risk. Provided the fit and feel are good, done.

mtbr member
    But...has your husband ridden a Maestro linkage bike? Or a DW link bike? He may, or may not like it.
    He's really only ever ridden his Norco Fluid and the Norco Range. What kind of linkage do those have? I like my Liv but I also have nothing to compare it to.

Hmm. I never thought of the Intense bikes. I love MEC's service and those seem like pretty sweet deals. I just wasn't sure how legit the brand was.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'm sure your husband will be extremely happy with any of these options, especially since he really doesn't have experience with different suspension designs. They're all really good, just different. If his emphasis strongly favors climbing I'd possibly consider a dw link bike like the ones I mentioned. It sounds like he doesn't wanna sacrifice too much on the descents, and that's why I think the maestro rear suspension on that Trance 29er would be a very good all around choice. It'll feel deeper and a bit more plush than some of the other short travel bikes. Since he liked the feel of plus tires, he'll most likely appreciate a suspension design that takes the edge off more than a more xc oriented bike like a yeti sb4.5 for example. That's an efficient pedaler and good climber but would probably be a bit more harsh when things get rough. I vote for the Giant, but if at all possible he should get a demo ride on a few bikes. If you decide to buy from that shop, maybe they have a 29er stumpy or stumpy ST (short travel) he could test.

mtbr member
    Dont worry about the linkage. It hardly matters anymore. Norco has incredibly high anti squat built into their frames, so they pedal without bob.

Intense has been around forever and is a high end boutique brand. Lately they've changed their distribution model, so the price has gone down and it seems like the quality is still there. Those are great bikes that usually can be had for a steal these days.

And I love that you're handling this for your husband. Thats awesome! Certainly unusual, but theres no reason that cant go both ways.
    WTB: Small aluminum hardtail 26 or 27.5 frame. Pm me!

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Dont worry about the linkage. It hardly matters anymore. Norco has incredibly high anti squat built into their frames, so they pedal without bob.
    Depends on the year and the model. My 2015 Range was ridiculous. My 2018 Sight, according to the linkage design blog site, is 100% neutral, which is consistent with my experience. There is a big difference between the Optic, Sight and Range, and a big difference between the older ones and the new ones.

As for linkage, I have never been able to fall in love with VPP, for example (and yeah, I know that Intense, which I recommended, is a VPP variation). But maybe I am just overly picky.

mtbr member
    They do change year to year, but so does everything. Pivots DW link isnt the same as it used to be, and its never been the same as ibis's. Intense uses VPP, but its not the same as santa cruz, and neither are the same as DB's new use of VPP.

I do think you should find a linkage that you enjoy, but you can buy a bike that pedals well with all sorts of linkages now. I dumped my maestro bike for a plain old single pivot (orbea), and it really does pedal better.
    WTB: Small aluminum hardtail 26 or 27.5 frame. Pm me!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    What about buying a frame only option and then speccing it the way you/he wants? I've only briefly glanced through this, so I noticed the hub thing. You could spec a high quality hub right off the bat, same with the other parts, and maybe come out in the same price range? Your LBS sounds pretty legit, they may even help you out with a custom build
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    And I love that you're handling this for your husband. Thats awesome! Certainly unusual, but theres no reason that cant go both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rides Bikes View Post
    What about buying a frame only option and then speccing it the way you/he wants?
    I would love to do this. It would be totally lost on him though. He has absolutely no idea about anything to do with bikes except how to ride them. I already tried to entice him with Giant's custom frame option. I love the colour! He didn't like the idea very much. I would imagine that buying a frame only option and building it up would be more expensive than buying a complete bike would it not?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I would imagine that buying a frame only option and building it up would be more expensive than buying a complete bike would it not?
    Yea, it would be more expensive if not by a lot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

I would love to do this. It would be totally lost on him though. He has absolutely no idea about anything to do with bikes except how to ride them. I already tried to entice him with Giant's custom frame option. I love the colour! He didn't like the idea very much. I would imagine that buying a frame only option and building it up would be more expensive than buying a complete bike would it not?
    It does have that potential, yes, but I think your statement "He has absolutely no idea about anything to do with bikes except how to ride them" could give you some good leverage there. You mentioned hub and bottom bracket problems, maybe he is just abusing the bike and that is why things are failing? If he also doesn't know or need the newest latest and greatest you could get some good parts a year or two old on super discount and build up a solid bike. $5k is a good chunk of change, but if you are smart about it, and make intelligent purchases based on what would suit the rider better, it could go a lot farther than you think.
    I'll use my wife as an example. She sucks at riding (knows it and willingly admits it), and is extremely picky about everything in life. Super irritating, but I know what she likes specifically about her bike. So I got her a base level pony rustler, and spent the money wisely on SLX 11 speed instead of the sram nx that came on it. I spent $1500, and countless after hours at the shop, on her last bike (which was not worth any of that time or money) and it was always something that was just off (her words). So I finally saved enough, bought the best bike I could afford, and spent a little extra where I knew it would count for her. She still has the best bike in the family, i'm on old 10 speed, with many parts 10+ years old and I just keep rebuilding them because they work for me.
    Figure out what he needs to have a solid bike (DTswiss hub? Onyx?) that will not leave him down for 5+ weeks and you'll be set. 10 speed still works fine btw and its cheap!

https://ridegg.com/trailpistol get many good reviews/feedback. More the brand not necessarily the model. Start with a solid frame, choose the parts and go from there. The Ride1 and Race packages come with some pretty solid parts specs too.
    Last edited by Jason Rides Bikes; 09-28-2018 at 08:50 PM. Reason: brand option
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rides Bikes View Post
    It does have that potential, yes, but I think your statement "He has absolutely no idea about anything to do with bikes except how to ride them" could give you some good leverage there. You mentioned hub and bottom bracket problems, maybe he is just abusing the bike and that is why things are failing?
    I really don't think he is abusing his bike. We do pretty much all of our riding together and I am very diligent at keeping all of the bikes cleaned and lubed. I see/hear how he shifts and pedals and there doesn't seem to be any abuse in that sense. I only wash with Muck Off and a soft brush or cloth, only ever use the garden hose on shower, etc, etc. No jumping, no big drops, no real crashes. The only abuse I can think of would be the sheer number of kms per season. Is 1000 kms really enough to be considered abuse though?

Maybe some year I will do a build up of a bike for our son (our daughter will be getting my bike when I get a new one) but I think we will just go with a good as-built bike for my husband and upgrade as necessary.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Go to MEC. Itís a beautifully shitty day to go pick up your niche bike at warehouse pricing, risk free, coffee in hand. End the madness. Trust me on this. But stick with Intense when you are at MEC. Donít even look at any other brands there. This is the best advice in this thread, and the best advice you will get.

Everyone in my crowd says the same thing...ĒWow. Really tempted to throw down on an Intense at MEC but I just canít leave [insert LBS] and the service I get there.Ē Any one of us can get pretty much anything done on zero notice for 25% off parts and no labour. Thatís what 25 years of loyalty buys you. You do not have this relationship with any LBS. You wonít be giving up anything going with MEC. And look what you are getting with MEC!!!

mtbr member
    Go to MEC. Itís a beautifully shitty day to go pick up your niche bike at warehouse pricing, risk free, coffee in hand.
    Oh how I wish we could. Those bikes look really sweet and I love the extras and the service that they would come with. I called them and unfortunately there are no size large Primers left "in the chain" at the moment which means waiting until Jan/Feb and not getting end of season sale prices. The Carbine is labelled Enduro and he did not like the Range so we will stay away from anything that says enduro. The Spider only has 27.5" wheels and he definitely wants either 29" or 27.5"+ tires. If he doesn't end up with a new bike this fall, we will definitely look at these again in the new year.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Oh how I wish we could. Those bikes look really sweet and I love the extras and the service that they would come with. I called them and unfortunately there are no size large Primers left "in the chain" at the moment which means waiting until Jan/Feb and not getting end of season sale prices. The Carbine is labelled Enduro and he did not like the Range so we will stay away from anything that says enduro. The Spider only has 27.5" wheels and he definitely wants either 29" or 27.5"+ tires. If he doesn't end up with a new bike this fall, we will definitely look at these again in the new year.
    Ok. Well, I tried my best for you. Best of luck, and the good thing is that despite your prior experiences, my observations of late are that there are so many exceptional bikes out now. It's a GREAT time to be an MTBer in the market for a new bike. Enjoy the journey, as well as the destination!

PS - if I were you on this cold dreary snowy day (in Calgary at least), I would pop on by to Mud, Sweat and Gears and feast your eyes on an Evil Following. Sick AF, and looks like it may check all the boxes for you...

https://mudsweatandgears.ca/catalog/...owing-x01-kit/

https://mudsweatandgears.ca/catalog/...vil-following/

*there is a difference geo-wise between the Gen 1 2017 and the Gen 2 2018 - the 2018 is the Following MB ("more betterer") - both are good but I would throw down on the 2018, all things equal...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cAk4DAJdOU

For shits and giggles, here is the same group of guys talking about the Sight (which I bought after 2 weeks of extensive demoing - their comments mirror my experience)...

mtbr member
    Not to throw in more confusion, but for plus size bikes, the Cannondale Bad Habit is a great bike.
    or for 29ers the Evil Following is sweet https://www.jensonusa.com/Evil-Follo...on-Spec-2-Bike not sure of the conversion rate.
    I prefer 27.5 and ride an Evil Insurgent.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by armii View Post
    ...or for 29ers the Evil Following is sweet https://www.jensonusa.com/Evil-Follo...on-Spec-2-Bike not sure of the conversion rate...
    Agreed. I suggested this in the post above yours. She has a local dealer likely minutes from her house that is open all day today. I posted links. The 2017 non-MB Gen 1 is on sale there

Watching the BoB Sight video review, my only concern is whether her husband will be able to push the Following hard enough so that he gets it into its "fun zone" (reference to the "fire in its belly"comments starting around 4:55...).

mtbr member

PS - if I were you on this cold dreary snowy day (in Calgary at least), I would pop on by to Mud, Sweat and Gears and feast your eyes on an Evil Following. Sick AF, and looks like it may check all the boxes for you...

https://mudsweatandgears.ca/catalog/...owing-x01-kit/

https://mudsweatandgears.ca/catalog/...vil-following/

Look like awesome bikes! Out of our price range by quite a bit though. Can't blow the whole budget, I want a new bike next year too!

mtbr member
    Look like awesome bikes! Out of our price range by quite a bit though. Can't blow the whole budget, I want a new bike next year too!
    Well the bike I was seriously looking at, and would have bought if I couldn't have afforded my Evil, was a Giant Trance 2..

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Intense ACV? 150mm of travel in the front and dropouts to choose whether you have 115 or 130mm of travel in the back and it has plus tires as well.

https://intensecycles.com/collection.../acv-pro-build

mtbr member
    Pivot Switchblade is unreal! https://youtu.be/4yD27lRSLDg
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

bike pamper-er
    I would go for the rocky mountain bike out of the three original options. Or you might also consider a YT or Canyon bike, since they're all sweet deals and they've been winning awards for being such great bikes this year.
    Shorter seat tubes, taller droppers.
    Shorter chainstays, taller stacks.
    Shorter stems, taller BB's.