BHS Bitex hubs- Mtbr.com

Thread: BHS Bitex hubs

mtbr member
    Apr 2019

BHS Bitex hubs

Anyone have the bitex hubs offered at bikehubstore.com? I have the 211's laced to flow's and so far they have been awesome. 54 POE, relatively light and color options. Just wanted to hear others' opinions on these hubs.

Unless you're going to really high end hubs I can't see a reason why I would go with anything else. I put them on level with hope pro4 and maybe dt swiss 350 though I think the ratchet system in the dt's requires less maintenance and very easy to service.

poser Administrator
    I was looking at these hubs. How are the bearings for service? I live in seattle and have a lot of wet days.

Clarifying: can you access all the bearing shields so you could remove them and add grease?
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by stumphumper92 View Post
    Anyone have the bitex hubs offered at bikehubstore.com?
    I've had quite a few of them. They're good budget hubs. Upgrade to the steel axle when ordering and they should be bombproof. If you're running a Shimano style cassette, it's worth upgrading to the steel freehub as well (in addition, the steel freehub has an extra bearing - so very stout setup). I'm currently running a Bitex BX211R hub with steel axle and steel freehub on my park/enduro rear wheel and it serves me well.

Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Clarifying: can you access all the bearing shields so you could remove them and add grease?
    yes. And the bearings are pretty easily replaced when the time comes. I just installed a new pair of bearings into my BX211R rear hubshell last week. (The original pair of bearings were starting to become a little 'gritty' after 2-3 years of riding)

Main thing I'll add - once you get your hubs, remove the disc side end cap and put some blue loc-tite on the threads. I preemptively do this and have never had any problems. Keep the end caps tight and these hubs will serve you well.

Edit: I'll also add that if you ever need to swap freehubs or pull the hub apart, pay close attention and don't misplace to the spacer/washer that rides on the axle and sits between the freehub and the driveside bearing on the hub body.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAA!!

Building my second wheelset w/Bitex hubs right now!!
    Swap-able end caps and replaceable sealed bearings!! Awesome!

Burt
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    They've become fairly popular over the years. Almost everyone has good luck on them.

Ive had so, so many sets of them either personally or from wheels I've sold. Maybe 200 hubs total? My experience has been exemplary, no come backs and no problems... however, they're not perfect. More than a few people have snapped axles on them and the bearing quality is just so-so.

I wouldnt say they're bombproof by any means, but I would say most riders in general dont beat their gear to death and will do just fine. Known hub abusers should go ahead and skip them.

My bitex hubs on my road bike must be pushing 10 years old now. They've had new bearings in them, but thats it.

When I was using/selling them heavily, there was no steel axle and no one ever asked for the steel freehub. All aluminum, and no problems. If you think you're the kind of person that needs that sort of beef, just get something else off the bat. A modified and upgraded bitex costs the same as a DT 350.

mtbr member
    BHS customer service is AWESOME!!
    I just had an issue and it was address likkity-split!!
    Best budget hubs on the market!!

RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    +1 on BHS customer service and Bitex hubs.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    anyone build some wheels entirely from products through BHS? It seems like the Bitex hubs have a good reputation. what about their Kinlin rims? Looks like a TL-29 would be the dimensions I would want in a 29er rim.

mtbr member
    You're really asking about Kinlin rims, which have been around for a long time and which BHS just happens to be selling. They have a good rep but I've never used them myself. I've gotten HED road rims and another set of rims from BHS that I don't see on their site at the moment.
    What, me worry?

Thicc Member
    I ride Kinlin on the road but their mountain rims just haven't appealed to me. They're solid but not fancy.

mtbr member
    I've only built the road stuff, but I'd be surprised if the tl29 wasnt a good rim.

Kinlins tend to be pretty damn stiff and durable. A lot of the ones I've built have a seam hop, but its completely inconsequential. But still, they're not works of art like a DT swiss rim.

Its a $70 rim. For a splitting hairs amount of money, you can get a premium aluminum rim from DT swiss, or raceface. I was going to try the tl29 anyway, but then I found an arc27 for something silly like $22.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    I just ordered a set of Stans Crest mk3 rims with Bitex BX211 hubs. Had never heard of Bitex. 2 wheel builders I spoke to both told me to run away from Stan's Neo hubs. They are junk, so they claim.

I'm definitely building my own wheels next time. The scarcity of wheels made it a nightmare to find anything in 29. I almost decided to build my own when I found a guy on Ebay that sells Stan's with Bitex hubs so I decided to jump on it. He said the Bitex are very reliable.

Good to hear some good reviews.
    Last edited by LexSuperfly; 09-09-2020 at 04:39 PM.

mtbr member
    I don't know that I abuse my equipment (I've never had hub issues before), but I broke the axle in my BR211R. Bitex is apparently shipping a replacement axle. I'll see how that whole process goes. I requested a steel axle this time, but I'll install whatever they send. The hubs have been pretty good until I took off my rear wheel and the cassette/freehub fell off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    That's a bummer. What is the warranty for the Bitex (China-made) hubs anyway?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LexSuperfly View Post
    That's a bummer. What is the warranty for the Bitex (China-made) hubs anyway?
    I really don't know for sure but my hub is almost 2 years old and Bitex is sending an axle for free.

I'm hoping I can get it installed and keep running the the hub no problems, but I guess I'll see how that goes once the replacement part gets here. The axle broke exactly where the freehub ends, which I guess is probably the best spot.

BHS Bitex hubs-img_20200829_102502652.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Dude are telling me the entire barrel just sheared off? Is that what I'm seeing in that pic?

mtbr member
    Dude are telling me the entire barrel just sheared off? Is that what I'm seeing in that pic?
    Pretty much. Luckily the thru-axle held things together fine, and I didn't even notice the problem until I took off the rear wheel. Still not sure how/why it happened.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Are you much larger/heavier than normal? It seems like most bike hardware isnt meant for people who weight more than 200lbs.

mtbr member
    Are you much larger/heavier than normal? It seems like most bike hardware isnt meant for people who weight more than 200lbs.
    No. I'm a relatively lean at 180 lbs and 6'1". I do ride a hardtail fairly aggressively, so maybe that's part of it. My technique is pretty decent though, so it's not like I'm casing every jump and slamming into every living thing. The good news is I got a warranty replacement steel axle, and installation was a breeze.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Can I ask where you bought that BITEX hub?

I got mine through a wheel builder associated with Bikehubstore.com

mtbr member
    Can I ask where you bought that BITEX hub?

I got mine through a wheel builder associated with Bikehubstore.com
    I bought the wheel through Prowheelbuilder. They handled the warranty, but the part actually came to me from BHS. I imagine BHS is the master distributor for the US.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Oh cool. Thanks for that link. They are in Georgia. Way closer to me than the shop I bought from.

Interesting that they also like to use BITEX.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    I finally got those Bitex hubs on. They look very "generic" and the freewheel sounds very different than the Shimano XT freewheels I've always used.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm another Bitex fanboi. Yes they aren't very bling but they are very reasonably priced, light and I've enjoyed very good durability, even though UK winters.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Anyone have experience with cassette loosening with the aluminum Shimano HG freehub? Just built up a wheel with my first Bitex hub (BX211R Boost). I noticed some significant spline gouging after only a few rides. More severe than I would have thought with "anti-bite" inserts. Then I began experiencing play in the cassette itself. It's a 11 speed XT cassette that I had zero issues with on a Shimano hub. The lock ring was not loosening, it was still torqued very tight.

I did not install the steel spacer that came with the hub since I assumed it for running a 10-speed cassette. But now I'm wondering if need to use that spacer ring even with an 11-speed cassette. I'm going to put on that ring and see what happens. Just looking for perspective on this.

mtbr member
    The spacer is necessary with an 11s cassette. Its kind of hokey, but thats just how it goes. I think a 10s cassette requires the fatter spacer, but the 11s can use the thinner one. Its been so long I dont remember what spacer comes with it.

I didnt have amazing luck with the anti-bite inserts. They still dug in more than I expected. Weirdly, I had an old original 48pt bitex hub from a decade ago, with no inserts, and its very very marginally gouged!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    The spacer is necessary with an 11s cassette. Its kind of hokey, but thats just how it goes.
    Thank you, One Pivot. Confirmed today that the spacer is indeed needed for an 11-sp cassette. I put that ring on and rode with no problems, stayed tight. It would have been nice to have a little note included with the hub stating that the ring was necessary, but now I know.

Regarding the aluminum freehub and "anti-bite" inserts, the spline deformation is clearly visible, but it I can still get the cassette on and off without any real difficulty. Full disclosure: I'm 240 lbs and running a pretty low-geared 29+. I would consider going with steel if I ever get another Bitex MTB hub.

mtbr member
    9 or 10 speed road cassettes or 10, 11 or 12 speed mtb cassettes need a 1.85mm spacer on an 11 speed road freehub.

Some 11 speed shimano road cassettes (Ultegra IIRC) come with and need a 1mm spacer on an 11 speed road freehub.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Upload some pics mikehattan. Me wanna see.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the anti-bite on these doesn't seem to work well. I'm going to run the current freehub until it needs to be replaced, but I'd almost certainly replace with a steel freehub.

mtbr member
    I believe the steel freehub has 3 bearings? Its substantially heavier duty, and just plain heavier. Not a bad idea overall, but my deep down weightweenism cringes a bit.

I still get many years out of gouged up aluminum freehubs. Havent actually had one fail yet, but the sticky cassette gets annoying. I ultimately bailed over to xd. I dont quite share the strong opinions some people do about the standards either way, but 10t is nice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    What is XD and 10t?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I believe the steel freehub has 3 bearings? Its substantially heavier duty, and just plain heavier. Not a bad idea overall, but my deep down weightweenism cringes a bit.

I still get many years out of gouged up aluminum freehubs. Havent actually had one fail yet, but the sticky cassette gets annoying. I ultimately bailed over to xd. I dont quite share the strong opinions some people do about the standards either way, but 10t is nice.
    I'd be tempted to move that way too, but I'm running a 10 speed.