Between bicycles..need some help choosing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Between bicycles..need some help choosing

Hello and help!

I am between 3 bikes and I would love some advice/help. Ok so, 1) Kona process 153 cr/dL 29 2019 2) Scott ransom 910 29 2020 and 3) pivot Mach 5.5 carbon race xt 1x 27.5 2018. Prices -now- are about the same (most expensive one is the Scott, cheapest one the pivot). I do all kinds of terrain(up and down and in the middle). So my questions are: 1) which one would you choose and why? And 2) the Kona has better components (as the bike shop told me), why the pivot (when new) was about 5.900euros and the Kona (when new) was about 6.000. If someone could explain to me why such an insignificant difference but when it comes to components the Kona is a lot better!

thanks a lot guys and gals

mtbr member
    How tall are you?

I own a Kona Process 153 AL 29, which is the cheapest, heaviest version of the Kona that you're considering. I also think I rode the Mach 5.5 (or maybe it was a Mach 6, can't remember now) at a demo for about 40 min. I have no experience with the Scott.

I ask your height, as the Kona has incredibly short chainstays, that stay the same accross all sizes (425mm). Which means that on the larger sizes (L and XL), the bike is somewhat less balanced than the smaller sizes. Some people actually like having really short chainstays, but I've found that personally, I wish they were a bit longer (I'm 6'1", and on a size L, but probably should have gone XL), to give me some more stability/keep me more easily centered on the bike.

Other than that, I have no issues at all with the bike, and have been very happy with it. It climbs well for what it is (I don't notice it bobbing up and down when I'm climbing/etc). Even though its travel puts it in the more "enduro" bike territory, I'd actually call it a trail bike with extra travel, as its not nearly as long/slack as most bikes in its category, which can be both a pro or a con.

Again, its been about a year since a short test ride on the Pivot, but from what I can remember the Pivot was much more of a "magic carpet" ride feeling than my kona. By that I mean, the rear suspension was plusher/sensitive to smaller bumps. That is honestly the main takeaway I got from the brief ride. Sorry its not more specific.

Then again, I'm comparing 27.5x2.6in tires to 29x2.4in tires (wider tires are usually more cushy), and very different shocks as well (I test rode a $6000 pivot, and my Kona cost me $2000, and comes with the lowest end shock available). But I think at least some of it was the suspension design/platform.

The geometry of those two bikes is pretty darn similar actually. Similar angles and lengths, means generically they feel fairly similar to ride, and I'm sure you'd be happy with either.

Between those, I think it would come down a bit to what wheel size you are wanting honestly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    How tall are you?

I own a Kona Process 153 AL 29, which is the cheapest, heaviest version of the Kona that you're considering. I also think I rode the Mach 5.5 (or maybe it was a Mach 6, can't remember now) at a demo for about 40 min. I have no experience with the Scott.

I ask your height, as the Kona has incredibly short chainstays, that stay the same accross all sizes (425mm). Which means that on the larger sizes (L and XL), the bike is somewhat less balanced than the smaller sizes. Some people actually like having really short chainstays, but I've found that personally, I wish they were a bit longer (I'm 6'1", and on a size L, but probably should have gone XL), to give me some more stability/keep me more easily centered on the bike.

Other than that, I have no issues at all with the bike, and have been very happy with it. It climbs well for what it is (I don't notice it bobbing up and down when I'm climbing/etc). Even though its travel puts it in the more "enduro" bike territory, I'd actually call it a trail bike with extra travel, as its not nearly as long/slack as most bikes in its category, which can be both a pro or a con.

Again, its been about a year since a short test ride on the Pivot, but from what I can remember the Pivot was much more of a "magic carpet" ride feeling than my kona. By that I mean, the rear suspension was plusher/sensitive to smaller bumps. That is honestly the main takeaway I got from the brief ride. Sorry its not more specific.

Then again, I'm comparing 27.5x2.6in tires to 29x2.4in tires (wider tires are usually more cushy), and very different shocks as well (I test rode a $6000 pivot, and my Kona cost me $2000, and comes with the lowest end shock available). But I think at least some of it was the suspension design/platform.

The geometry of those two bikes is pretty darn similar actually. Similar angles and lengths, means generically they feel fairly similar to ride, and I'm sure you'd be happy with either.

Between those, I think it would come down a bit to what wheel size you are wanting honestly.
    I am about 1.80 but generally I like larger bikes.. I tried the xl Kona just in shop, seemed fine to me. Thank you very much for the input!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ransom info-