best lightweight Alloy 30mm internal width enduro wheelset?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    14

    best lightweight Alloy 30mm internal width enduro wheelset?

    Hey, I'm looking to buy some wheels for an Enduro Sworks 2020 frame build I am doing and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on relitively lightweight but still really strong alloy wheels for enduro. Open to any companies really.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    102
    DT Swiss 481.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha267 View Post
    DT Swiss 481.
    Those look sick! What hubs would you build them with?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    102
    DT Swiss 350 or if u can afford it DT Swiss 240ís.

  5. #5
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrweiker View Post
    Hey, I'm looking to buy some wheels for an Enduro Sworks 2020 frame build I am doing and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on relitively lightweight but still really strong alloy wheels for enduro. Open to any companies really.

    DT 481's are good. WTB i29 Asym's are better.

    DT 350, 240s, or Onyx hubs.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    DT 481's are good. WTB i29 Asym's are better.

    DT 350, 240s, or Onyx hubs.
    I dunno, the WTBs have a pretty tall, hooked bead. Looks vulnerable

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mfa81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,947

    best lightweight Alloy 30mm internal width enduro wheelset?

    dt ex511 on dt 240

    also flow ex3 is pretty good just donít buy the wheelset with those crap hubs stans make!

    another option is to buy a complete wheelset like dt ex1501 but has the downside of straight pull spokes which are not as easy to find locally if you need right away, they come with 240 hubs

    thatís what I have waiting for the rest of the build prts in my garage, 28 spokes, 54t, torque cap whight is within a few grams of what is stated on dt website


  8. #8
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,072
    Spank 350
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    dt ex511 on dt 240

    also flow ex3 is pretty good just donít buy the wheelset with those crap hubs stans make!

    another option is to buy a complete wheelset like dt ex1501 but has the downside of straight pull spokes which are not as easy to find locally if you need right away, they come with 240 hubs

    thatís what I have waiting for the rest of the build prts in my garage, 28 spokes, 54t, torque cap whight is within a few grams of what is stated on dt website

    Sick wheels dude

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fizzywater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    219
    -Spank 350 rims with DT Swiss 350 hubs
    -Spank 350 rims with Hope Hubs
    -Newmen EVOLUTION SL A.30 wheelset

    All these should be very solid choices.

  11. #11
    Hitching a ride
    Reputation: Schulze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,187
    Newmen does the best in the impact tests.

  12. #12
    The Punk Hucker
    Reputation: PissedOffCil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,752
    Chromag Phase30 ?
    Beware the hucking bear!

  13. #13
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Newmen does the best in the impact tests.
    Source?

    Not doubting you... just curious to read it
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    DT 481's are good. WTB i29 Asym's are better.

    DT 350, 240s, or Onyx hubs.
    Mike,

    Can you tell me why you recommend the Vesper? Love to hear wheelbuilders thoughts on hub choice. Heavily leaning toward a quiet (purple) hub and I can't decide between project 321 and Vesper.

  15. #15
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Tontino View Post
    Mike,

    Can you tell me why you recommend the Vesper? Love to hear wheelbuilders thoughts on hub choice. Heavily leaning toward a quiet (purple) hub and I can't decide between project 321 and Vesper.

    I actually prefer the standard/"old" Onyx hub. Pre-Vesper. Vesper might well be the bees knees, but it hasn't been out long enough to prove itself yet, while the "old" Onyx hub has years and years under its belt.

  16. #16
    Dream it, Do it.
    Reputation: Spectre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,589
    Another vote for DT XM481s. Quality on the XM481s seems really good and they set up tubeless easily. I like the design of the Flow Mk3 rims as well, but have had a good number of rims with loose weld sleeves that require super glue to secure in the rim so they don't continue to rattle around in the rim.

    DT350s are a great value hub. The DT240s are pretty much the same in terms of internals.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    74
    I was in the same boat and went with EX511, DT Swiss Competition spokes and P321 hubs, 32h. Not the lightest wheelset, but definitely bombproof.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Dream it, Do it.
    Reputation: Spectre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,589
    Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post
    I was in the same boat and went with EX511, DT Swiss Competition spokes and P321 hubs, 32h. Not the lightest wheelset, but definitely bombproof.
    Early on, DT had a reputation for using alloys that were soft and tended to flat spot easily, but the finish and my perception of quality for the current DT rims is out-of-the-park fantastic.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cholopolitan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Spank 350
    Love mine. Poor man's Zipp.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    114
    Another vote for DT's. I did EX511's with Hadley hubs.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Anybody go from 30mm internal rim width to 25?
    By head in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-11-2019, 12:04 PM
  2. Bomboloni Width on 30mm Internal Rim?
    By mopes in forum 26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-15-2017, 07:17 AM
  3. 26" rims between 22-30mm internal width?
    By Juz1970 in forum 26er Bikes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-05-2016, 06:18 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-01-2016, 04:11 PM
  5. 30mm internal width rims + 2.3" tires?
    By sgtrobo in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-16-2016, 07:41 AM

Members who have read this thread: 273

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.