Best Flat Mountain Bike Pedals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Best Flat Mountain Bike Pedals

Hello trying to find the best features for mtb flat pedals priced at $20-$80 and came up with these, am I missing anything?

What materials should the pedals be made of?
    Durable (can take a serious beating downhill riding aggresively)
    Lightweight
    Comfortable platform (probably wide)
    Thin pedals (or what you recommend for good maneuvering on all terrains under different conditions)
    Good grip
    Smooth bearings (spin easily)
    Easy to install, service and clean
    Fair price ($20-$70)
    Adjustable and replaceable pins
    Cool design
    Fits any shoes
    Fit different bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I absolutely love my Race Face Chester pedals and they're the first thing I put on any bike I own. They're cheap, durable, reasonably light, and grip like crazy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Spank Spikes

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    If you want wide, maybe VP Harriers. I put them on my DJ bike so I can't speak to their trail worthiness, but they are really big!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    ++++1 for RaceFace Chesters. Have many pairs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    DMR Vault

mtbr member
    DMR V6 $20. or you can spend $100 for the metal ones (the Vaults). ive had the V6s for a year or so and smacked them on all kinds of stuff, and they still perform like new. why i like them, theyre light, comfy, strong, good grip and they run on bushings, so you dont have bearings to deal with. im buying them again if or when they wear out, i love em. its a no brainer for me

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I run the shimano saints and so far they are indestructible, they are thin, good size, the pins are replaceable and you can use washers to control how much pins stick out. They are easy to service too. The only downside if any is they are a tad on the heavy side but I think it's worth the piece of mind to have a pedal that will take anything you can throw at it. For around $50 you can't really go wrong

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Got my first pair of flats recently and went with Race Face Chester. I was blown away by the grip on them and the surface area they cover. I'll absolutely buy them again when I get a new bike or need new pedals.

mtbr member
    You can usually find VP Vice for around $40-50 if you look. I ran them this summer on my DH and they held up to lift access beating every weekend of the summer. Rebuild-able, thin, and they grip really well too. I had a foot come out of my shoe but the shoe stuck to the pedals. Liked them so much I bought a set for my trail bike as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonder91 View Post
    Got my first pair of flats recently and went with Race Face Chester. I was blown away by the grip on them and the surface area they cover. I'll absolutely buy them again when I get a new bike or need new pedals.
    I've been using a pair of Chester's as well lately and absolutely love them. The grip is a lot better than the VP pedals because they are wider and I can bash them up and still service them. With my VP pedals, the aluminum would be so deformed that it destroyed the threads in the axle and the pin threads. Same price, much better material and grip.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I got myself Chesters, too, for the Snow/Fatbike ... they're big and provide enough flat area, the pins look durable and hard to lose, it has a fairly simple structure with big holes to lose the packing snow easily and I like the idea of strong plastic in freezing temperatures more than metal. As an eye candy bonus they come in all kinds of colors and are affordable. The plastic isn't cheap crap either, but a rather solid sort ... if you can live with the idea of having a plastic pedal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    If you want wide, maybe VP Harriers. I put them on my DJ bike so I can't speak to their trail worthiness, but they are really big!
    Gotta agree here. Put these on both of my bikes and love the wide platform. I am not readjusting my feet as often, pretty conformable and pretty thin as well. Just make sure to get the updated design as the new design is said to not get as much play in the pedal. And I got mine in black from Amazon for 79.00 dollars.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I haven't tried the Chesters, but the best pedals I have tried are Redline Monster alloy pedals. Plenty grippy, low and concave profile, and about $45. For me, concavity while maintaining a low profile is key.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Best? Tricky to say but favorite? Simple; Deity blade runners.

I recently purchased some scudgood nylon pedals for my winter smasher and they impressed on the first ride. Plenty of pins, lightweight, smooth and solid feeling. Large platform, priced right

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The Chester's are good but if you want great go clipless

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    If you can find them I have a pair of Kona Wah Wah pedals that I absolutely love. Love them so much that they have been painted to color match multiple bikes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I think any alloy pedals are a waste of money. Once you bang them up, you can no longer service them or replace pins. The new plastics are a giant leap forward.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonmax View Post
    The Chester's are good but if you want great go clipless
    I think most of us here either run a mix of both or like me, used clipless forever and want something different. The best thing I ever did for my biking was ditch my clipless pedals to help me unlearn all my bad habits and just have so much fun not worrying about being clipped in when trying things that you get hurt on if you don't get out on time. I will never look back.
    Last edited by Steezus; 12-24-2016 at 09:16 AM.

Rides all the bikes!
    A friend of mine gave me his old Crankbrothers flats (don't know the model). First run was meh. Tried different shoes next time and loved it.

Shoes matter too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have run Vaults, Crampons, Spank Spike, VP Harrier, and some cheapos. Of all of these the Vaults are the grippiest, and the Harriers are my favorite. I have the original Harriers and have no issues with them and they take a beating.I am in the market for another pair and debating on getting another set of Harriers or the Spank Spoon.

Check this shootout out...

Vital MTB Face Off: The Best Flat Pedals - Mountain Bikes Feature Stories - Vital MTB

mtbr member
    DMR V6 is the best plastic pedal you can find, but it is plastic. One ride already lost a pin. I use it on my city bike. Too fragile for a mountain bike. Maybe on a dirt jumper.

Spank Spike/Oozy is the benchmark for flats.

Vault is the high roller pedal. As nice as they get with legit concave (in the body).

mtbr member
    I like my Wellgo MG-5 flats.
    Help chart the mountains at www.appalachianbiketrails.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Another vote for RF chesters, lots of grip and pretty stout for plastic

2nd place for me: Nukeproof evo

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have enjoyed a couple thousand miles of crazy abuse on Spank Spikes. Picked up a used set of Oozy's for my new bike.

Chesters were definitely on the list, but the thickness (and honestly, the lack of bling) put me off a bit.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by hatfield44 View Post
    You can usually find VP Vice for around $40-50 if you look. I ran them this summer on my DH and they held up to lift access beating every weekend of the summer. Rebuild-able, thin, and they grip really well too. I had a foot come out of my shoe but the shoe stuck to the pedals. Liked them so much I bought a set for my trail bike as well.
    You can't beat this deal - They should be $45.00 on Amazon. I'm about to buy another pair for my next bike.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Xpedo Spry. Very light, thin, inexpensive and durable enough. At $50, there essentially disposable although Xpedo was awesome with the one pair I warrantied.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Grab any set of poly pedals with metal pins. Metal reag great but noisy and heavy for the most part. I haven't used many pairs but "Plastic" pedals tend to get you more bang for your buck and reliability!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Spank Spikes were awesome and I have a few rides on my new Deity Bladerunners and so far really like them.

The Spikes were super easy to disassemble and for everything I did to them they were bombproof. The bladerunners definitely are a bigger platform and I like it a lot.

pedal,pedal,pedal
    crank brothers 50/50 been putting a beating on them for 2 years... $68 on crc

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Love my Spank's, fantastic, and got me away from clips on my MTB.

since 4/10/2009
    I just traded up to DMR Vault pedals from Blackspire Sub4s. Only a couple rides on the Vaults, but I like them a ton. Biggest thing I like are the wider platforms for my large shoes (46.5). The grip and support are better, too.

And service parts are cheaper than the Blackspires. Spindles, in particular, are half as expensive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I snagged a pair of Race Face Chesters, from recommendations on this thread. Been great for the 5 weeks I've been using them. However, just noticed on Monday, that I ripped a pin out. The Northeast gnar is taking a toll on them, haha. Using them with 5-10 Freeriders.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

I been using these $19.58 (Light, Strong, Wide, Grippy.

Quote Originally Posted by santiago714 View Post
    Hello trying to find the best features for mtb flat pedals priced at $20-$80 and came up with these, am I missing anything?

What materials should the pedals be made of?
    Durable (can take a serious beating downhill riding aggresively)
    Lightweight
    Comfortable platform (probably wide)
    Thin pedals (or what you recommend for good maneuvering on all terrains under different conditions)
    Good grip
    Smooth bearings (spin easily)
    Easy to install, service and clean
    Fair price ($20-$70)
    Adjustable and replaceable pins
    Cool design
    Fits any shoes
    Fit different bikes
    Never slipped off once with these - Depending on your sole they may chew up the bottoms a tad. No issues all season and they look good on my black bike.

Cycling MTB DH Bike Bicycle Bearing Flat Platform Nylon Pedals Ultra Light CS233 | eBay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    DMR V6 is the best plastic pedal you can find, but it is plastic. One ride already lost a pin. I use it on my city bike. Too fragile for a mountain bike. Maybe on a dirt jumper.

Spank Spike/Oozy is the benchmark for flats.

Vault is the high roller pedal. As nice as they get with legit concave (in the body).
    you cant lose DMR V6 pins, the arent removable

i use them for MTBing all the time. love em

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    you cant lose DMR V6 pins, the arent removable

i use them for MTBing all the time. love em
    How are V6s on shins. I run Vaults, but am looking for a decent pedal for my daughter that won't tear her shins apart if she makes a mistake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fdes View Post
    How are V6s on shins. I run Vaults, but am looking for a decent pedal for my daughter that won't tear her shins apart if she makes a mistake.
    Significantly easier on the shins than any metal pin. The impact however, is about the same.
    That's one of the reasons I have them on my city bike. The pins that don't cut your skin also don't cut your pants.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fdes View Post
    they can cut you if you hit them really hard, but nothing like metal pins. i run them with a pair of Vans, i like em a lot

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've bought several sets of high-end pedals. My favorite are the Magnesium crampons by a long shot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottam View Post
    Never slipped off once with these - Depending on your sole they may chew up the bottoms a tad. No issues all season and they look good on my black bike.

Cycling MTB DH Bike Bicycle Bearing Flat Platform Nylon Pedals Ultra Light CS233 | eBay
    Thanks for the link, I went and ordered a pair!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'd also highly recommend the Chester.
    2019 Transition Sentinel
    2018 Kona Process 153 AL

mtbr member
    I just recently got a pair of Superstar Components Nano-X pedals. They're wide, come with two sets of pins, have a slim, concave body and weigh around 430gr. Regular price is excellent but I got them on sale which was even better vfm.

I wanted to take a break from riding clipless (which I enjoy), freshen up my technique and use them in very slippery conditions (such as snow, we've had a serious cold spell lately).

i think they're very good overall, but considering the price they're excellent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Significantly easier on the shins than any metal pin. The impact however, is about the same.
    That's one of the reasons I have them on my city bike. The pins that don't cut your skin also don't cut your pants.
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    they can cut you if you hit them really hard, but nothing like metal pins. i run them with a pair of Vans, i like em a lot
    Thanks, will pick some up for her. A pair of vans could be useful too, riding in sneakers sucks...