Bash guard ideas for 1 x 11 Raceface cinch mount ring?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Bash guard ideas for 1 x 11 Raceface cinch mount ring?

I just converted over to 1x11 drivetrain, including a direct/cinch-mount 24t front ring (cranks are raceface turbines). My old 2x11 setup used the spider mount rather than cinch mount on the crank, alllowing me mount a raceface bash guard, which worked well.

Any ideas/options (homebrew even) for some kind of protection with my new setup (see pic), or am I just going to have to live with chainring tatoos?

Thanks-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bash guard ideas for 1 x 11 Raceface cinch mount ring?-bash-guard.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Canít tell from the photo if you have a threaded bb. If so then the least worst option is the MRP bb to iscg 05 adapter. Or you could put a direct mount spider on your crankset and go back to a 104 bcd chainring and whatever bash ring you had before. Hope this helps.
    15 nomad c
    16 skookum

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotefred View Post
    I just converted over to 1x11 drivetrain, including a direct/cinch-mount 24t front ring (cranks are raceface turbines). My old 2x11 setup used the spider mount rather than cinch mount on the crank, alllowing me mount a raceface bash guard, which worked well.

Any ideas/options (homebrew even) for some kind of protection with my new setup (see pic), or am I just going to have to live with chainring tatoos?

Thanks-
    I don't have much 1x experience myself but I expect the chain will protect your legs from cuts, but not necessarily protect the chainring teeth from rocks?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I think you're right about this. I probably should have considered this before I bought the direct-mount chainring I think. At this point I may just leave "as is" and see if I can avoid it Being much smaller than my previous larger ring, I may manage to keep my leg out of the way!

mbtr member
    I think you're right about this. I probably should have considered this before I bought the direct-mount chainring I think. At this point I may just leave "as is" and see if I can avoid it Being much smaller than my previous larger ring, I may manage to keep my leg out of the way!
    I'm 100% on board with the opinion that direct mount is a elegant-but-terrible solution to the realities of mtb. But a good rider won't hit the chainring and **** up their chain because eventually you get very competent at hopping obstacles.

Hopefully you have an outboard bearing arrangement where an impact doesn't go directly in to the frame/bb.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    ^^^ op is looking to keep dirt/grease off leg and pants, not protection for the ring.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    ^^^ op is looking to keep dirt/grease off leg and pants, not protection for the ring.
    Imho, going clipless weighs lesser than using a bashring as protection from chain lube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Thanks-

Back in the day (before mountain bikes) chainring tattoos were called rookie marks and you quickly learned to avoid them by keeping your chain clean & dry.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    ^^^ sorry, but that's just BS. It might stand some remote chance of working at the start of a ride, but certainly not toward the end. What a rookie eventually learns is to keep his leg away from the ring. After ~50 years of riding, I'm still working on this.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    ^^^ sorry, but that's just BS. It might stand some remote chance of working at the start of a ride, but certainly not toward the end. What a rookie eventually learns is to keep his leg away from the ring. After ~50 years of riding, I'm still working on this.

BS? I don't know about that. I've seen chains so grungy they'll mark you if you get within a few inches of them. My chain is clean and so is my leg
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    Imho, going clipless weighs lesser than using a bashring as protection from chain lube

I take the weight penalty and put a "light" bash ring on my 2x cranksets, not to avoid grease marks but to protect my leg against cuts and puncture wounds from the otherwise exposed (and sharp and grimy) outer chainring teeth. If I eventually convert to a 1x drivetrain I was thinking I wouldn't need to protect my leg since the chainring teeth are not exposed.
    Last edited by Chubb; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubb View Post
    I take the weight penalty and put a "light" bash guard on my 2x cranksets, not to avoid grease marks but to protect my leg against cuts and puncture wounds from the otherwise exposed (and sharp and grimy) outer chainring teeth. If I eventually convert to a 1x drivetrain I was thinking I wouldn't need to protect my leg since the chainring teeth are not exposed.
    Yeah, I was referring to a 1x drivetrain. Sorry if I wasnít clear, Iím suffering from jet lag