mtbr member
    Feb 2019

back tp MTB, need help!

Greetings to all, i am back to riding after near 7-8 years of inactivity. I have a Specialized Pitch 150 rear/140 front travel with 26" wheels, but after i some forums reading, seems that many things change.
    Well, i have my friend willing to buy my bike, so i'm gonna need a new one!
    I have a budget of 1000 euros total so my options are very limited.

These are the bikes i can find locally. (or buy online) and are within my budget

1. https://www.commencal-store.co.uk/meta- ... 2x26307396
    2. https://issuu.com/mongoosebikes/docs/m1 ... 604194dc9a ( its an online catalog, page 34-35, go fullscreen to be able to read the specs)
    3. Mongoose | Salvo 29 Comp

Should i go for a descent hardtail and pure all mountain geometry with 27.5 wheels and 150mm fork travel
    ? Or should i go 29" with 100mm travel? Or 27.5+ plus with 120mm travel?
    I dont mind buying a descent frame with crap components as i'm willing to upgrade whenever possible. I do all kind of riding, rocky descents, trails, uphills, i dont race, just having fun with friends at the mountains. I am 1.81cm tall if that helps.
    Looking for some advice, thanks a lot
    P.S. Sorry for any mistakes, english is not my native language.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I don't usually get involved with " what bike" threads and I'm almost never over here on the " All Mountain" section.
    I'm pretty much over on 29er/plus area as that's what I ride. I just was shocked to see no replies in 7 hours. Im hoping someone will chime in and help you as like I said I'm 29er plus hardtail.( Trek Stache 7) but I'd go with 27.5 plus and probably not even consider anything Mongoose. Glad to hear your getting back on a bike and I wish you the best.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Honestly I would take your Pitch over the bikes you've listed. Considering you're on a budget, and are just getting back into riding, there's no reason to buy a new bike at this point. Ride your Pitch aka Enduro, which is still a great AM bike, then buy something new when you've saved up enough to make it worth it. I would also take a look at the used market. So many deals going these days thanks to all the standars changes over the years.

monster member
    If all you want to do is ride with your friends, then you should get a bike fairly similar to what they ride, since that's what you'll be doing together. That is, don't get a HT if your friends do enduro with occasional shuttling, etc.

Or, agreed with keeping the Pitch. For 1000 Euros, you can't buy much of anything full-suspension. Just get some tires for your Pitch. You didn't say what year it is, but it sounds like the suspension still works well since your friend wanted to buy it. Before the both front and back suspension went out on my '01 Specialized Enduro, I loved that bike just fine and could ride with any of my friends anywhere. I had zero interest in riding anything else until I was looking at about $1000 to replace all the suspension. So if yours is in good shape, then just ride it.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    First of all, thanks for the replies.
    Well, it seems that you all have all right. we mostly do climb and then descent some trails, or we do 20-30kms that have them all (trails, XC, climb, descent). Almost no one of my firends rides hardtail, all have FS, and some them have FS 26" which all they want to sell.
    My Pitch Comp is 2010 model, i think and i feel that it needs a lot of upgrades, service, etc, since i 've used it a lot back then. And now i think its not a good option to invest money in a bike, or a wheel size (26") that is gone forever. My friend willing to buy my bike knows all that but since he is new in the hobby, he doesn't want to invest a lot. Maybe he quits tomorrow.

Probably i've bitten by the "new bike" bug. I want something that is up to date. So what's wrong about Mongoose? Is the brand overall? Is that particular bikes? Or the components they have?
    If its the components, its fine by me, knowing that i have a decent platform (frame, geometry).
    Is it the travel mm of the 29er which is only 100 or 110? Not enough for trails? Some local firends who ride 29" tell me that 29er is ok with shorter travel and that 100r/120f should be ok.
    I would appreciate some advice, thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Riding bud of mine & occasionally yours truly, ride AM HT's w/ our group...

Friend rides a Big Honzo i.e. 27.5x2.8 tyres & he rips ^^

Myself, I ride a Nukeproof Scout 290.

Super awesome steed.

A 150mm travel AM HT w/ good sized rubber will allow you to ride like your budz.

Plus, they'll be looking at you & thinking 'How is he doing this on a hard tail!?'

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You shouldn't think about buying bike stuff as a good or bad investment. It's all about what makes sense for you. You would acutally lose more money on resale after buying any of the new bikes you're looking at. Yes 26" is dead for the trail market, but it's far from dead for your needs. There's more 26" tires on chainreaction than 27.5 right now, and there are still new rims being made. You have nothing to worry about in regards to being able to keep your Pitch going long enough to save enough to actually upgrade.

Since you're asking about 650b vs 29 you really have to try for yourself but I'm going to assume if you don't like 26" you're not going to like 650b which is technically 26.99" not 27.5". The biggest difference between older 26'ers and newer 27.5ers isn't the wheel size, it's the geo.

I have a 650b 165mm/180mm "super enduro" bike but I still love ripping my little 120mm 26'er trail bike. That thing is like a slope bike for the trails. Forget about standars, just ride your bike and have fun! When you have enough money to acutally upgarde have at it, until then you'll just be spending money to downgrade.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Suntour XCM fork on the Mongoose has a spring inside and no adjustable rebound. Plus plastic bushings inside instead of metal.
    It's for bike paths and smooth trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspeed View Post
    That is, don't get a HT if your friends do enduro with occasional shuttling, etc.
    Well,,I'm going to disagree here,,my friends all ride FS bikes ,,I switched to a HT 2 years ago and haven't look back since. Up until TODAY I rode a Meta AM HT,,its an awesome bike,,still have no idea why they use tektro brakes???,, but other than that it rips and its a cheap upgrade on the brakes,,grab that META and have some fun,,I just bought a Nukeproof scout not 5 minutes ago(cant wait),,the Scout is with your budget,,I have more fun on a modern geo aggressive HT than I did on my 26" FS bikes
    Last edited by White7; 1 Week Ago at 04:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leontheprof View Post
    ... So what's wrong about Mongoose? Is the brand overall? Is that particular bikes? Or the components they have? ...
    Didn't see any responses to this yet... Here's my opinion, and what I think I know about their history. Mongoose used to make a "real" mountain bike. Back in the NX days. I had a '98 NX 8.5 (bought new, wore it out). That NX cost more back then, than any bike they make today. And that's BEFORE adjusting for inflation! Back then, they were a respectable bike maker. Then they "split" the brand, so to speak. When they sold to Brunswick, far less quality Mongoose branded bikes showed up in Walmarts. At the same time, they were trying to remain in the higher end market (they were labeled Mongoose Pro, as I recall). I don't think they actually manufactured the cheap stuff, only sold branding rights. In either case, I think that dive into Walmart (and other retailers) gave the Pro line a stigma. I don't think the better half of Mongoose ever really recovered as well as it could have. Do they make a good bike today? I can't say myself. I hear OK things about a couple of their models, but that's it. They, unfortunately, are better known here in the U.S. for their branded low end bikes in big box retailers.

Anyway, just my opinion and my perception of some of their history.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Thank you all for your replies, nice reading Mongoose's history, for some reason i don't have a bad taste about this brand. By the way, i asked them twice about some bike details, and they did replied which is good.
    Anyway, i 've convinced myself that i need to get rid of my old bike ;o ; , now i just need to make a choice about the new one. In the beginning i was mostly towards Mongoose 29', just because it is FS, but the steep HA, the short travel and the fact that, by the time i'll buy it i'm gonna need some serious upgrades (fork, 15mm axle) to be able to punch it, makes me rethink that option.
    On the other side, may Commencal be hardtail but it seems more "plug and play", has little better components so no need to immediately upgrade after purchase and it supports plus, 27.5 and 29" so i have more options. I could later find a decent FS frame and swap it, that will me with a spare nice aggressive hardtail frame.
    Its not my final decision, just some thoughts i want to share, so that i can make the right choice. Am i thinking right?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    No you aren't thinking right. You don't seem to want educated opinions, you just want someone to reinforce your desires to buy one of the bikes you're looking at.

If you just want an opinion of which of the three you should buy I say commencal. It's a bike you can ride day in day out with out durability issues. Nothing against mongoose, they make some good bikes, but not at your budget. You really should be shoping used if you must have something different now, or save up. I'm not clear on why you feel any of these are upgrades over a Pitch. Don't take this wrong but you clearly know little about bikes and aren't willing to listen to educated riders. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Anyway, after some thought, and of course your advice, i decided to keep the pitch and upgrade it as long as i can. Thanks for your help so far. I'll come later for further questions...