armour- Mtbr.com

Thread: armour

VDF

Oct 2006

armour

What do you guys wear when you go for a ride, elbow pads, shin & knee? Cause when i ride for over 10kms my knee & shin pads rub the hell out of the back of my legs. And my elbow pads get way to hot

ride hard take risks
    Carry your pads till your ready to decend.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

TNC
    noMAD man
    If your knee/shin guards rub the heck out of you, then you have the wrong type. Some wear the toughest DH style versions, and while they're obviously very protective, most of them are not too great when you have to pedal a long distance. For AM type riding I wear the simple two-strap velcro attached hard plastic model. The breath better than most of the heavy-duty DH versions and allow you to use them all the time in comfort. Often in a very hard get-off that gets you going down on your knees, they take a first and often second hit really well. Yeah, they'll start sliding down sometimes and you get a raspberry at the top of your knee, but that's a small price to pay for saving your knees/shins from serious injury. And remember, you're talking about something you can actually wear all the time...not just when you think it's going to be bad.

I only wear my elbow armor when I wear my body armor...which is a high quality MX style. The elbow guards actually attach to the shoulder cups of the body armor, so they don't have to be of a full-wrap design or cinched down hard to keep them up. The MX style armor allows more air circulation and still a good deal of protection. It's cool enough to wear in 90 degree weather when the terrain warrants it, even for 20 mile or longer rides. I use this setup in Moab for many of the rides there.

For armor that you can wear for long rides, selection of the type and fit is most important. People are different too. Some are able to wear more armor for long rides and some just can't stand it.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I only wear my elbow armor when I wear my body armor...which is a high quality MX style. The elbow guards actually attach to the shoulder cups of the body armor, so they don't have to be of a full-wrap design or cinched down hard to keep them up. The MX style armor allows more air circulation and still a good deal of protection. It's cool enough to wear in 90 degree weather when the terrain warrants it, even for 20 mile or longer rides. I use this setup in Moab for many of the rides there.
    TNC, if you don't mind me asking, what brand/model MX stuff are you using? I'm in the market for some armor myself, and deciding what upper body armor will work for AM riding is proving to be difficult. Thanks for any input.

Patrick

mtbr member
    Take a look at the SixSixOne Kyle Straights for basic knee protection. They're very comfy. For the elbows, I like my Fox Launches because I can where them all day.

Woohooo! Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by VDF
    What do you guys wear when you go for a ride, elbow pads, shin & knee? Cause when i ride for over 10kms my knee & shin pads rub the hell out of the back of my legs. And my elbow pads get way to hot
    90% of the time, the rubbing is due to the fact that the skin on your legs is not used to something there. If your armo(u)r fits you correctly, your legs will get used to it after a few rides and the rubbing will stop. The other 10% of the time (in dry Colorado at least) is due to moisture--I have chaffing issues sometimes when riding in the rain/snow.

I started riding with armor in 1998 and use it on every ride. At this point, it's more a mental thing than anything else--I just feel naked when riding without it and my confidence suffers. I would suggest just trying to stick with it because you will quickly get used to wearing it.

29er Geek
    661's 4x4 knee/shin guards are pretty slick...they're not hard shell type, and have nice plastic "ribs" within to help ward off the nasty hits. They breathe dang well too.

I have really big calves and these fit fairly well...the fox set I tried didn't even come close. Mine are size large....the extra large fit around the calf better, but was just too long (I have a 30" inseam).

Good luck.

RJ
    unityhandbuilt

TNC
    noMAD man

Answer Apex

Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    TNC, if you don't mind me asking, what brand/model MX stuff are you using? I'm in the market for some armor myself, and deciding what upper body armor will work for AM riding is proving to be difficult. Thanks for any input.

Patrick
    I'm using an actual MX style from my local moto shop. We get into some heated and spirited arguments about the MX vs. DH body armor once in a while on the DH/FR forum. I think a lot of the bike-only guys don't know that there are some very different MX style armor designs. They are not created equal. Some of the better MX armor has impact absorbing materials and design just like the DH stuff, but some won't believe it. And truly some MX stuff is just some plastic panels fixed together. The only place I actually get to inspect several examples of real DH body armor is in the Moab shops. Over the years I've gotten to know some people in the shops there. This year I actually took down several sets of DH armor to compare to my MX set. I looked at Dainese, 661, and a couple of others...from mild to wild. Upon close comparison I found the best DH armor to be no more protective than the MX setup that I have...for the most part.

There are two main differences with one being a major difference. The spine protector on the better DH sets is definitely superior to the MX style. Remember, however, that we're talking about riding a trail with the MX armor, so unless you're a camel, you're going to have a Camelback. The Camelback does provide some major back protection, as I'm sure many trail riders can readily testify to from some of their crashes.

The other benefit with some DH armor sets is more abrasion protection because of more fabric padding...good for serious DH and FR...bad for trail riding. I wear MX style jerserys made of wicking fiber all the time. They give decent abrasion protection under the armor, wick sweat away, and provide sun protection.

The bottom line is that wearing full-tilt DH body armor is usually not an option on long trail rides. This is where the MX armor shines. If you get the right kind with energy absorbing points of contact, you get very good protection in as breathable a package as possible. I find it funny that many bike-only folk don't think that moto guys want the same protection as bicycle guys.

When I'm wearing my armor on many of the Moab trails, it's quite interesting to see and even hear some of the reactions. It's like..."you're riding a bicycle, why are you wearing armor?"...yes, many think that even in this day and age of RBR and ROAM DVDs. Of course many of these same people are making more polite comments at the trail's end after seeing most of our group blast by them through rock ledges, dropoffs, and step-ups. Then it's like..."oh, now I see why you're wearing armor."

While none in our group claim to be at any level of gnar and skill as represented on many of those crazy DVDs, we definitely want the protection of some body armor as we try to get stupid and have some fun.

long standing member
    Thanks for the response. I agree with you about the use of armor when needed (and using it when you feel it's needed, not based on what the jackass at the trail-head thinks).

So is this what you've got?

And what does "roost protection" mean? I thought roost was the dirt that is churned up by the moto's tires? Is this gear designed to protect against that? Is it also designed to take a crash? (I'd assume so). I'm asking out of ignorance, I have zero knowledge of motocross.

With these elbow pads?

I'll have to stop down to my local mx/atv dealer and to see if they stock any of this stuff. Thanks again for the heads-up.

Patrick

Propr
    When I'm wearing my armor on many of the Moab trails, it's quite interesting to see and even hear some of the reactions. It's like..."you're riding a bicycle, why are you wearing armor?"...yes, many think that even in this day and age of RBR and ROAM DVDs. Of course many of these same people are making more polite comments at the trail's end after seeing most of our group blast by them through rock ledges, dropoffs, and step-ups. Then it's like..."oh, now I see why you're wearing armor."

While none in our group claim to be at any level of gnar and skill as represented on many of those crazy DVDs, we definitely want the protection of some body armor as we try to get stupid and have some fun.
    Nice!!!!!

The Fox knee/shin combo's that I have always seem to slip down and I'm constantly adjusting them. I hate it. I just want to install and leave it alone. The last couple of times out I've just been wearing my old-skool Rector heavy foam slip on shin gaurds (kinda like soccer ones).

The lizard skin softcell setup looks nice. Anyone try them out yet??

fear this
    I use a set of Fox Shore elbow/arm pads (very light, very breathable) and Thor double strap knee/shin pads. I'm comfortable wearing this gear for several hours while climbing, descending, whatever.
    Norco Torrent FS
    Devinci Ollie
    Commencal Meta HT AM chromoly

mtbr member
    May 2006
    When trail riding, i'm normally padded up with race face (rally iirc)knee/shin guards and my Met para-chute lid. The pads stay on full time, and most of the time I forget i'm wearing them. Easily the comfiest, if not the most breathable pads yet. Don't ride with out them these days, my shins/calves bear too much evidence of pedal and chain ring attack attacks as it is lol.

TNC
    noMAD man
    PC, that's pretty much it. The "working" part of the impact absorption can't even be seen in that pic, so I'll post mine. Notice the shoulder cups have a nice resilient foam material as do the front and rear chest, back, and rib panels. Attaching the elbow guards to the bicep cups really makes wearing the elbow guards a lot more comfortable, as they don't have to be tightened up very much to stay up and keep from riding down in rough terrain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    PC, that's pretty much it. The "working" part of the impact absorption can't even be seen in that pic, so I'll post mine. Notice the shoulder cups have a nice resilient foam material as do the front and rear chest, back, and rib panels. Attaching the elbow guards to the bicep cups really makes wearing the elbow guards a lot more comfortable, as they don't have to be tightened up very much to stay up and keep from riding down in rough terrain.
    Is that the inside of your van? Wow, talk about wall-to-wall carpeting.

TNC
    noMAD man

Don't you recognize it?

Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Is that the inside of your van? Wow, talk about wall-to-wall carpeting.
    That's the "Dog Mobile" from the movie "Dumb & Dumber"...it's carpeted inside and out.

Actually that's a tiny travel trailer called a Casita. Here it is sitting out at our bike riding place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Oh yeah, I do remember that, sweet

Members who have read this thread: 0