Anyone RIde a Devinci Dixon RC?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Anyone RIde a Devinci Dixon RC?

Hello everyone.

I'm in the market for a new bike and the Devinci Dixon RC caught my attention. I currently ride an older BMC trailfox. I like the BMC, but but as I've gotten a bit more aggressive in my riding I'm looking for something a little more relaxed and plush. I dont ride anything super gnarly, but as my skills grow I do find myself trying new more challenging lines and continue to push myself.

From the (very) few reports I've read, it seems like the Dixon might fit the criteria. I've read a little about the suspension design. I believe its supposed to be similar to ABP? I've ridden a Trek Fuel EX8 and like the way that bike performed. Anyone know if the Dixon is similar?

The RC seems to be a pretty decent value as well. The downside is I wouldnt have the opportunity to properly demo it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    My Dixon is scheduled to be delivered next Thurs. I went with a frame and custom buildset instead of a complete bike from Devinci. Big changes that I made is that I swapped out for a Rockshox Monarch Plus shock and a Float 36 RC2 fork (reducing travel to 150 or 160mm). I'm going on a camping/riding trip next weekend so I should get plenty of time in then to give some proper feedback.
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

mtbr member
    I think you would like the Dixon. Tried my buddy's new ride few weeks back I thought with the suspension set for a heavier rider it would feel like a long legged xc bike to me. Well in a way it did. The thing was fast and nimble, felt really good and so was the traction from the rear. Ride terrain was an entire root filled trail. On normal 4 inch xc bike I would be kicked all over... hate to admit it but this thing tracks better than my 6 inch (coil) AM bike on this same trail which I could ride with eyes closed by now. Really!

The front fork at 130mm was a little low (awaiting a proper fork to come)-- that might have contributed to a little faster handling with all the twisty sections but I really cant see how when its raised to the proper front height @ ~150mm it would not perform just as well on the straights and climbs with the right bar/stems setup. And definitely a boost with the downs as well.

All in I would say the suspension system in there is really well designed--closest I could equate to are the ones on Trek. The Remedy 7 was another I like and this has the same kind of ride feel to it.

BTW I'm 5'9" and the small was a good fit...

mtbr member
    I can't believe they're selling Devincis at Performance Bike! Regardless of what you think of Performance, they have a bunch of stores all over, so when these start arriving you might actually be able to try one/pick one up locally. That's pretty cool that they're getting such a high end brand with DW's new Split Pivot. Canadian bikes are often hard to find in the states, and it's always nice to try before you buy. I'd love to go play around on one.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Im about 6ft even, 6 1 on a good day. THinkin about a large. Anyone have input on frame sizes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm 6'2" and ride a medium with a 70mm stem and it feels perfect. Easy to get off the ground and sweet on the downhills. I think a large would feel more like a xc bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I sat on the medium today. The cockpit felt pretty darn good, but overall it felt 'small.' Not sure if that makes any sense lol.

I sat on the large and the cockpit definitely felt 'longer,' but with a shorter stem I think it might work. I wish they had a tweener size.

*edit* Just re-checked the numbers on the devinci website. The large is actually a 19.5 which is bigger than my current BMC. Medium might be the way to go.
    Last edited by sarcazmo; 05-27-2011 at 08:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I own a medium RC. I'm 5'10" and I love it! Set it up at sub 28lb without the mudguards, can probably go lighter with a lighter wheelset/tires combo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone RIde a Devinci Dixon RC?-img_2084.jpg  

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by sarcazmo View Post
    I sat on the medium today. The cockpit felt pretty darn good, but overall it felt 'small.' Not sure if that makes any sense lol.

I sat on the large and the cockpit definitely felt 'longer,' but with a shorter stem I think it might work. I wish they had a tweener size.

*edit* Just re-checked the numbers on the devinci website. The large is actually a 19.5 which is bigger than my current BMC. Medium might be the way to go.
    long tt and short stem is much better than the other way 'round IMO.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for all the info so far.

I might have the opportunity to ride a medium.

I also emailed devinci to see if there are any demos available in or around my state.

mtbr member
    Odd. The Devincis have been pulled off the Performance site. Previously it said they'd be available 6/3. They were definitely there before, but now you can no longer find them and the links don't work. And here I thought Performance was actually getting a high end brand. It would have been nice to walk into the store and take a look at them. Interesting...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone RIde a Devinci Dixon RC?-untitled.png  

LMB

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I know they're at certain stores atm. Odd that they would take them off the website.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarcazmo View Post
    I know they're at certain stores atm. Odd that they would take them off the website.
    They're back up there today. Loopy.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just thought I'd chime in on this conversation. I'm a roadie guy myself and have recently gotten into mountain biking so I find higher end bikes and their technology fascinating . I live in Laguna Niguel, CA and there's a Performance Bike store 5 min from where I live.

I went in today for normal setup for my roadie and walked over to their mountain bike section and yup, there laid the beauties. Four to be exact... 2011 RCs (white n black) , a 2011 SL and some other model (forgot name) that was in the 2k range.

These bikes are so gorgeous... the black paint job is so much better than the other flashy stuff out there. The folks were real nice and asked if I wanted to take them for a ride (even though they obviously knew it was out of my budget range since I'm a young 22 year old lol)... but yeah, It's refreshing to see Performance carry a high end brand. I've grown tired of seeing so many GTs and Scattantes..

btw: Tinier that's one sexy bike ! (it's my dream mt bike tied with the kona abra cadabra)... and pspwesty please let us know how it was once you're back from your trip

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    They're definitely nice bikes.

I went to a store and fooled around with one a bit in the parking lot. Obviously a parking lot test is less than ideal but it felt really good. Quite similar to the trek designs. I like it, seems like you can get some pretty sweet deals on them as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Hey everyone. I'm thinking about picking one of these frames up. I have an 06 7point I am thinking about parting on to a medium. Is compete cycle the best place to buy just the frame? Any suggestions?

Members who have read this thread: 0