Any new updates on the Met Parachute/Casco Viper?- Mtbr.com
    Working on my Drops

Smile Any new updates on the Met Parachute/Casco Viper?

Hi guys,

i've been reading up on all the threads regarding the Met Parachute and the Casco Viper helmets. I am torn regardin which one to get. For the people that has been using them for a litte while now, can you give some updates? Thank you much.

Oh, So Interesting!
    I just got my Viper.

I'll post some pics and initial impressions later tonight.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Casco Viper, and the news is it's on sale on Chainreactioncycles.
    For review? I did one or you can just check sig
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    i'm interested i one of these - anyone gotta nay more info? maybe a bit of a review?

FM
    mtbr member
    Well, I have the MET so here's a quick review on it. I've had it over a year now.

The helmet itself, w/o guard, is one of the best I've owned. The pads are on an adjustable band inside the helmet, which is attached to the rock-lock type thing. So when you tighten the rock-lock deal it tightens the whole helmet! This makes it fit a lot better than bell or giro helmets I have owned in the past. It breaths really well too, with ot without guard. Strapes are also top notch, better than bell/giro imho.

The faceguard is removable and is actually two halves that screw together. If you carry the tools, you could stash it in your camelback and throw it on just for downhills or stunt areas, if you are willing to take the time to do that. I did take on good fall on it with the faceguard, I landed front heavy on a gap jump during an XC ride and did a nose-wheelie to endo. The guard kept my face from gettings scratched up, I actually remember when my head hit the ground I was thinking, "good thing I have the face guard!". The helmet looks fine and has held up great.

Would I buy one again? maybe. Thing is, I tend to go for the full-face for rides that I think might invlove a crash on the head. For XC rides, I just don't feel the need for that much protection. This is more about my local trails and riding style than the product though- we have a pretty clear separation between XC and FR trails here.

There have been just a few "in between" rides where it was great to have the option- long steep technical XC descents, or FR trails on really hot days... Also Whistler XC type stuff.

Basically, a great product. But the "full-face XC helmet" concept is not for everybody.

I bought mine off eBay from "flex-ABC" I think.

Rockin' the MET up near whistler....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    thanks for that FM - sounds like the kind i'm after..

any one like to give a review for the viper?...

Oh, So Interesting!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    cheers Dave

Working on my Drops
    Thanks guys,

For the Casco viper, do you guys feel like your breath coming back when you breath out? The mouth guard seems awefully close to your mouth.

Working on my Drops
    Thanks FM,

The Met looks great and so airy. I just keep reading about the mouth guard chattering and cutting people's faces. That's the only thing that scares me away from the MET.

Oh, So Interesting!
    UKTrailmonster posted some comments, he has the Casco, his wife the Met.... you could look around for that thread.

I went Casco because it seems like a more robust design, and the faceguard is clip-in instead of screw-on, which makes a big difference to me.

My face is big and yes, the faceguard is close to my mouth. It is a minor annoyance, not a big deal as I will remove it for long uphills anyway. There is a vent hole right in front of my mouth too, which is key.

This is one of the compromises with a helmet like this... it needs to be close to the face because it isnt heavily padded like a true ff helmet. If it was too far away, in an impact the helmet would have too long to get up to speed before it whacked you in the face... it is lightly padded, but I'm absolutely sure it's still going to suck if you faceplant. It could reduce a broken jaw and missing teeth into a really bad bruise, maybe. My Bellistic ff is heavily padded, much better if you actually need it, so I'd make sure you get a ff if some of your riding calls for it.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBAlex
    Thanks FM,

The Met looks great and so airy. I just keep reading about the mouth guard chattering and cutting people's faces. That's the only thing that scares me away from the MET.
    Where did you read that stuff? I can't see how the MET could do either of those things unless:
    • They crashed with the straps and rock-lock thing totally loose, and/or had a helmet that was way oo big, or
    • they stripped out the fittings the face guard screws into (these are nice brass fittings with alumiunum screws)

Mine's been totally solid for about a year now- the face guard does not rattle around or move on rough terrain, and hasn't hit my face when I've face planted.

mtbr member
    Anyone know were i can get a Casco viper in the USA? I know Chainreaction.com has them, but was hoping swome one here has them too.
    Click click, BLOODY CLICK WAFFLES!

Perpetual Hack
    Neither are officially available in North America.

MET because of the legal BS on this side of the pond. No idea on Casco thou...

regards,

michael

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm another Casco Viper owner and I love it. I've got a big head and a big face and find that the shin guard is nice and snug, quite reassuring, and being so easy to take off the slight rebreathing issue doesn't concern me. Helmet build quality is first rate, and it is a really nice helmet to wear with or without the chin guard.

I've read all the story's about the Mets fracturing into peoples faces and it seems to me that if you hit the ground hard enough to smash the chin guard and it fractures then you got away with just a few cuts instead of the caved in face you would have received without it.

People just seem to have the idea that this is a free ride or downhill standard full face, and should offer the same protection as a full MX helmet which is totally wrong. My understanding of their availability outside Europe is based on the expense associated with the stands compliance testing for such small markets (well in the case of Casco in Australia anyway) and the liable issues with the US market. I say go ahead and buy one of these helmets from Chainreaction.com you won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    I would have bought the Casco or Met, but nether come in my size. I have a freakishly large head of 64cm. So far only Azonic has a full face my size.
    Click click, BLOODY CLICK WAFFLES!

Members who have read this thread: 0