AM helmet for narrow head- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

AM helmet for narrow head

I'm looking for new AM helmet to replace my old beat up Giro, but nothing in local shops fits the shape of my narrow head. I tried Fox, Bell, Specialized and Giro helmets, most of them just sit on top of my head and wobble to the sides. Giro Xen has the best fit of them all, but far from perfect...
    Any suggestions from fellow Aliens?

Maaaaan
    I don't have the same kind if fit problem you do, but I have in the past, used helmets from places like Walmart, Target etc.
    Before people start laughing at me, you should know this.
    1. Those helmets are all made by companies like Bell.
    2. They are all DOT approved. Snell approved helmets are good for racing street and dirt bikes, but are actually too hard in more moderate crashes at slower speeds.
    3. They are cheap.
    4. They often are slightly oversized with a selection of thin and thick padding.

My reasoning is this. You might be able to use the thin pads front and or rear, and the thicker pads on the sides.

Eric.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have an alien head by your standards - maybe an alien's alien head. To make a long story short, I had cranial surgery when I was an infant and am left with skull which is longer and thinner than what most would consider normal. I wouldn't go so far as to call myself an inverted "Stewie" or anything, but I did require a modified football helmet in high school and I still have trouble finding hats and helmets that fit.

I ended up just buying a larger size, which results in the flopping side to side you talked about. My Specialized helmet has the hard-hat type clicker to adjust snugness and it ends up being comfortable enough. If I'm going on a long ride, I fit a bandanna under the helmet (headband style, not Harley style...) to relieve the pressure points.

I agree with the extra/thicker padding for the sides, but I wouldn't go thinner than you have to in the front/rear of the helmet. As I'm sure you know, the front and back of a long skinny head is where you get pressure points. Less padding is probably going to be less comfortable.

Kyle
    '10 Rockhopper Comp Disc 29er - gonna ride it til I break it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    thanks for replies!
    well, most of the helmets actually sit on my head without wobbling when riding, but only thanks to the clever retention systems... or pads mentioned... thats not the best solution in the case of crash ofcourse, so I'm trying to find the best fitting helmet and further improve it with padding...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Bump from a fellow narrow nogginer...................

banned
    661 Recon

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Uvex helmets have a fairly large range of adjustments. I really like their buckle as well.

mtbr member
    May 2009

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Once you try an Urge Endur-0-matic you'll be sold.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Plus Urge includes various pads to cutomize the fit. Awesome helmet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ok, finally ended up with new Giro Feature helmet! The best fit on the market I could find, solid build and fair price. Plus it looks good

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    It`s true, i bought one 2 weeks ago, on the 1st ride i forgot i was wearing an helmet after some minutes, very comfy and light.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hello my fellow alien brotheren,

I also have a small narrow kinda pointy head and have always had trouble with hard hat and bike helmets fitting. They either just dont adjust small enough or they wobble side to side. I found a Bell in the $60 range that fit nice but a little to much for our budget at the moment. I can't remember the model but the bells seem to fit the best.

I'm looking for one in the forty dollar range and have checked most of the lbs around but I think I might have to resort to walmart or looking at a youth helmet. I actually tried one youth and it was to big.

mtbr member
    I just recently got a POC Trabec. Fits like a glove, so much so that I forget I am even wearing it. Expensive helmet, but a) it was on sale b) whats more important than the safety of your brains?

Members who have read this thread: 0