Allmountain shoe + pedal combo problem.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Allmountain shoe + pedal combo problem.

Been riding Shimano AM31 shoes and Shimano PD-M530 pedals (deore model trail pedal) for last two seasons, soles of the right shoe had to be glued together already in last race so it was time to get new shoes. Been using 5'10 shoes for flats and really like those, so got some Maltese Falcons with good discount to replace old shimanos.

Just went for a first ride, and not happy at all how those pedals and shoe work together. Cleat is too high on the shoe, and all the weight is on the cleat, no other part of the shoe even touch the pedal, photos below show more. Tried to look solution from internet, but there is just rave reviews how those pedals and shoes work well together. What am I doing wrong here? Obivously there is no any hight adjustment plates on under the cleats. Any ideas how to fix this problem? Is only solution to show some dremel to the cleat and shoe? I would not want to do that.

Gap between shoe and pedal
    Allmountain shoe + pedal combo problem.-wp_20140104_004.jpg

Allmountain shoe + pedal combo problem.-wp_20140104_007.jpg

Difference with old and new shoe

Allmountain shoe + pedal combo problem.-wp_20140104_008.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have the same pedals and bought them for the reason you mentioned. The manufacturer states how the increase in surface area give you more control. Guess what....i can't feel the difference in surface area because it doesnt touch the shoe.

I am in the same boat as you and wonder what the advantages are of these pedals.

I do ride a more cross country stiff shoe so maybe if I was riding a more flexible shoe it would work better.

unrooted
    I have the xt version of those pedals, and I also don't notice any additional support while clipped in, but finding and staying on my pedals after coming unclipped is a lot easier.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Came up with one solution last night. I took those patches that were removed for installing the cleat, cut them in half and glued to sole of the bottom on both side of the cleat. They are perfect in thickness, now there is plenty of support but clipping in and out still works smoothly! Went for 3 hour ride today, and all good, interesting to see how long wil this solution last.

Allmountain shoe + pedal combo problem.-wp_20140105_001.jpg

mtbr member
    I have the XTR version of these, and can confirm that the "wings" don't provide any additional support (or even make contact with) Teva Pilot or Sidi Dragon shoes. Shoe-pedal contact is identical between these and non-race wingless XTR pedals.

I still really like the wings on the Trail pedals though. I find that they make it much easier to smear a foot on a pedal when unclipped, and also easier to find & clip into the pedal as they keep the body from rotating under the shoe.

I tried CB Mallets, which do have some wing-shoe contact. HATED these. Both clip in and out was really hard and caused a couple falls when I couldn't unclip. Like the XTR pedals much better, though like all clipless pedals they work best w stiffer shoes...

mtbr member
    yah, flats ftw!

i have the Saints, use them with any shoe, they rock

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Shimano am45 shoe with crank bros dh pedal an love it and you can adjust pins for more or less contact

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Prestige, what model 5'10 shoe is that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by atkrocket View Post
    Prestige, what model 5'10 shoe is that?
    Maltese Falcon -> Maltese Falcon - Raven's Eye Grey