mtbr member

All Mountain/Trail Bike Fit Question

I was able to do a short demo of the Pivot Mach 5.5 and I have a sizing question. I'm in between a Med and Large. 5'10" with a longish torso and shortish legs.

The Med frame felt great standing but a little tight when seated. The Large frame felt better for seated climbing but is definitely a little longer than I'm used to when standing.

Both frames had 55mm stems and I can fit a 125mm dropper post in either.

I think I could be pretty happy with either one - and I know that most fit questions are subjective and really comes down to preference. So, having said that, would you go smaller and maybe size up the stem or go bigger and size down the stem?

Thanks!
    Sycip Unleaded 650B
    Sycip Ti Gravel
    Pivot Mach 5.5

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    In the end it's all a preference thing, and none of us can decide for you. Some people prefer a smaller bike that they feel they are 'on' while others prefer a larger setup where they feel 'in' the bike. I was somewhat on the edge but felt better on the larger size with a 35mm stem (stock was 50mm stem).

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, for sure, it's personal preference. Just wanted to get a feel for what others in my situation chose. Going with the Large and sizing down the stem a bit was my initial reaction. Thanks for the input!
    Sycip Unleaded 650B
    Sycip Ti Gravel
    Pivot Mach 5.5

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's a tough one. I'm a huge fan of short seat tubes, love to drop the seat extra low.

The large does have a very long top tube, the medium is about right for me. Although I'm a few years behind the times.

I would be tempted to go medium w/ a 150mm dropper & 770mm bars.
    I have a 125mm dropper and would love to have it drop more when things get VERY steep.

Would make for a bike that's super agile in the tight & twisty's might not be as stable all out on the straights but depends on the trails you ride & how you ride em I guess.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I find its easier to keep the front down on a bike that feels a little short seated. I'd pick one over weather you ride twisty trails or really high speed trials.

mtbr member
    What bike are you coming from? Are you used to a really long top tube? Maybe what you think is short, really isn't.

mtbr member
    I'm coming off a Gen 1 Ibis Mojo in a Medium. That bike always felt cramped to me and that was with a 120mm stem. Of course, that being more old-school geo, the Medium Mach 5.5 has a longer ETT than the large Mojo. So for me, the Medium Mach 5.5 gives me a full 36.7mm more ETT.

Recently, I had a custom hardtail built which fits great (obviously) and the ETT and Reach of the HT falls right in between the numbers for the Medium and Large Mach 5.5 so that's no help either.

I feel like I can go either way and be really happy. I guess that's a good problem to have!
    Sycip Unleaded 650B
    Sycip Ti Gravel
    Pivot Mach 5.5

mtbr member
    I'm short in the torso, but long in the arms and legs (5'7", 33" sleeve and 32" inseam). I've always felt there was a little more room to move around on a bike that was slightly too small for me. Kinda paradoxical, but there it is.

mtbr member
    When in doubt, I personally go with the smaller bike... Iím able to ride it more than correct it- which is what feels like to me if a bike is too big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A father is only as happy as his saddest child...