Sep 2018
    What frame is that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodg View Post
    What frame is that?
    Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    First proper ride on the new Soul after it's shakedown last week. What a bike! By far the smoothest riding hardtail I've ridden, when standing it just sucks up small bumps incredibly well, especially given I'm running fairly skinny 2.35 Maxxis Forekasters.

The Revelation fork feels a bit harsh, definitely need to play around with that a bit. The Chromag bars also feel much less forgiving than my other pair. I bought a set of Cutlass's from Jenson on sale for my Whyte T130 last January and loved them, such a forgiving ride, but these new ones I got from CRC look identical but are a higher 25mm rise rather than 20mm and nowhere near as forgiving. Thinking I'll swap them over to try and get a bit more comfort for the front end of this, as over small bumps the front end of the bike was just killing my hands. Given I'm running the same grips, stem (admittedly in a shorter length), front wheel and tyre it must be down to the fork or bar, so will have a mess around and see if it is mainly down to the forks.

Aside from that though, the bike feels ace! I've only spent a decent amount of time on X01 Eagle, but the GX Eagle kit feels very good. Granted the shifter isn't as nice ergonomically as you can't adjust it like you can on X01, but otherwise shifting was really good. I do wish crank manufacturers would fit some kind of tape to their cranks though or come up with a more durable finish, the GX cranks are scuffed up already after just 1 ride, I only did 11 miles!

Everything else on the bike is a known quantity, as it's pretty much how I set up my T130, so could really focus on the new kit (frame & fork). The frame is awesome, geometry is almost perfect, a slightly steeper ST would be nice as it did feel like I needed to be more on the nose of the saddle on one really steep climb, but it corners like its on rails and as I say, by far the most comfortable HT frame I've ever ridden. If anyone is looking for a light-ish (mine is under 28lbs with pedals and could go lighter) trail HT that can be ridden and thrashed all day, initial impressions are that the Soul would be an excellent choice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawman1991 View Post
    First proper ride on the new Soul after it's shakedown last week. What a bike! By far the smoothest riding hardtail I've ridden, when standing it just sucks up small bumps incredibly well, especially given I'm running fairly skinny 2.35 Maxxis Forekasters.

The Revelation fork feels a bit harsh, definitely need to play around with that a bit. The Chromag bars also feel much less forgiving than my other pair. I bought a set of Cutlass's from Jenson on sale for my Whyte T130 last January and loved them, such a forgiving ride, but these new ones I got from CRC look identical but are a higher 25mm rise rather than 20mm and nowhere near as forgiving. Thinking I'll swap them over to try and get a bit more comfort for the front end of this, as over small bumps the front end of the bike was just killing my hands. Given I'm running the same grips, stem (admittedly in a shorter length), front wheel and tyre it must be down to the fork or bar, so will have a mess around and see if it is mainly down to the forks.

Aside from that though, the bike feels ace! I've only spent a decent amount of time on X01 Eagle, but the GX Eagle kit feels very good. Granted the shifter isn't as nice ergonomically as you can't adjust it like you can on X01, but otherwise shifting was really good. I do wish crank manufacturers would fit some kind of tape to their cranks though or come up with a more durable finish, the GX cranks are scuffed up already after just 1 ride, I only did 11 miles!

Everything else on the bike is a known quantity, as it's pretty much how I set up my T130, so could really focus on the new kit (frame & fork). The frame is awesome, geometry is almost perfect, a slightly steeper ST would be nice as it did feel like I needed to be more on the nose of the saddle on one really steep climb, but it corners like its on rails and as I say, by far the most comfortable HT frame I've ever ridden. If anyone is looking for a light-ish (mine is under 28lbs with pedals and could go lighter) trail HT that can be ridden and thrashed all day, initial impressions are that the Soul would be an excellent choice!

Badass. I love my Soul too. Iíve got a Hope build with 130mm Pike and Nobby Nic 2.6 on Stanís Flow rims. The 2.6 tires are where itís at, I tell you. Next time Iíll probably do dual Rekon though and save some more rolling weight. Just under 27.5 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by FeedTheWolf View Post
    Badass. I love my Soul too. Iíve got a Hope build with 130mm Pike and Nobby Nic 2.6 on Stanís Flow rims. The 2.6 tires are where itís at, I tell you. Next time Iíll probably do dual Rekon though and save some more rolling weight. Just under 27.5 pounds.

Sweet bike , I like the purple theme

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Did anyone meantion the Breezer Lightning 27.5+ Adventure. 2.8" meaty tire, good fork and available in the new 1x12 GX/NX drive train. Japanese steel heat treated after welding makes these very strong and lively. I love the lightning bikes and look forward to the new one when it come. I have a ton of miles on my 2012, and it's still a show stopper.

passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by TorinoBP88 View Post
    Did anyone meantion the Breezer Lightning 27.5+ Adventure. 2.8" meaty tire, good fork and available in the new 1x12 GX/NX drive train. Japanese steel heat treated after welding makes these very strong and lively. I love the lightning bikes and look forward to the new one when it come. I have a ton of miles on my 2012, and it's still a show stopper.
    pics or it didnt happen
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Nordest Bardino. It rips. up and downhill

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by FeedTheWolf View Post

im drooling

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    As I have been upgrading my FS Giant Trance, I suddenly ended up with a growing pile of components that were just begging to be put on a bike. Well, who am I to say no...

Finally completed this 27.5+ budget(-ish) build on Sunday and going to try to take it out for a shakedown this afternoon.

Frame: NS Bikes '18 Eccentric Alu Evo 29
    Fork: Suntour Aion 150mm
    Stem: Nukeproof Neutron 35mm
    Bar: Spank Oozy Trail 760mm
    Grips: Giant Trance take-offs
    Headset: Brand-X Integrated
    Wheelset: Mavic E-XA 27.5 x 40mm IW
    Tires: Schwalbe Nobby Nics 2.8
    Brakes: Shimano M365
    Rotors: Shimano Deore RT56 180mm Front/Rear
    Cassette: Shimano Deore 11-42 10-speed
    Derailleur/Shifter: Shimano Deore 10-speed
    Chain: KMC 10-speed
    BB: SRAM DUB
    Cranks: SRAM NX
    Chainring: Praxis 30T
    Pedals: Chester-clones
    Seatpost: Brand-X 150mm Dropper
    Seat: Ergon SMA-3

The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-img_1343_sm.jpg

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by notabob View Post
    As I have been upgrading my FS Giant Trance, I suddenly ended up with a growing pile of components that were just begging to be put on a bike. Well, who am I to say no...

Finally completed this 27.5+ budget(-ish) build on Sunday and going to try to take it out for a shakedown this afternoon.
    That looks great!
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1343_sm.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	399.2 KB 
ID:	1227481
    My buddy just built up a NS Bike Eccentric and the geometry is spot on (if you like long low and slack) and the frame has a super affordable price point.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1343_sm.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	399.2 KB 
ID:	1227481
    Looks like a Nukeproof Scout ;-P

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by caldog View Post
    My buddy just built up a NS Bike Eccentric and the geometry is spot on (if you like long low and slack) and the frame has a super affordable price point.
    For $250 - can't beat it! I was considering building up a Santa Cruz Chameleon frame, but couldn't find them anywhere. Then discovered the Eccentric - very similar geometry at 1/3 the price.

Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Looks like a Nukeproof Scout ;-P
    Some similarities, for sure... Eccentric does have shorter chainstays, slightly steeper seat tube angle, and a tiny bit longer wheelbase, but otherwise geometry and form are quite similar between the two.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Took the new steed for its shakedown ride... It was wet and muddy (the photo was pretty early in the ride, before the mud had a chance to build up), but the bike did pretty well. Great traction from the big tires, handled great on dry and wet. Did feel a strange-to-me "bobbing" from the rear, especially at higher speeds, but this is my first time on a hardtail with such big tires at low pressue, so I'm assuming it's the tire flex due to pedaling. Still - curious behavior that I'll need to look into a bit more...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-img_1346_sm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Did feel a strange-to-me "bobbing" from the rear, especially at higher speeds, but this is my first time on a hardtail with such big tires at low pressue, so I'm assuming it's the tire flex due to pedaling. Still - curious behavior that I'll need to look into a bit more...
    Nice bike! What pressure are you running? Shouldnít be a ton of bounce in 2.8s...but itís certainly relative if comparing to 2.2/2.3!

Hereís a cousin NS, pretty set for winter pending a mudguard or two if I can figure out how to fit Ďem between the stuffed 2.6 and fork that really doesnít want it to fit. Tried quickly and itís a heavy rub, seems like it will work between the seat stays though. Any direct form arch mounted fenders out there?

loud hubs save lives
    Big Honzo with its bigger tires on

SISSIF
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster View Post
    Big Honzo with its bigger tires on

Beauty!
    What tires are those?
    I just ordered a Big Honzo frame to build up after checking that my 29er wheels had plenty of clearance running 2.6 tires. I think it's going to roll and ride great with that set up.
    Big Wheels and Fat Skis keep me young.

loud hubs save lives

The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCanary View Post
    Beauty!
    What tires are those?
    I just ordered a Big Honzo frame to build up after checking that my 29er wheels had plenty of clearance running 2.6 tires. I think it's going to roll and ride great with that set up.
    Those are specialized slaughter 27.5 2.8s on arc 40 rims. I wanted rekons but i was being cheap and got this pair on eBay for half the price of a single rekon. They feel slower than i expected.

Iíve been riding it as a 29er with 2.4s since i got it. Works great as a 29er if you donít want a crazy low BB. It felt like a rocket with my 29er setup compared to the + setup, but i added quite a bit of rotating weight

SISSIF
    Excellent. Looks to be a very versatile platform. Might even need to try some plus studs if we have a snowy winter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    My Nordest Bardino Ti
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-rqed3ln.jpg  

The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-i6cjsd1.jpg  

The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-rejaxrz.jpg  

Last edited by Victor1977; 2 Days Ago at 10:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by slipperyb View Post
    Nice bike! What pressure are you running? Shouldnít be a ton of bounce in 2.8s...but itís certainly relative if comparing to 2.2/2.3!
    I'm running ~14psi rear / 13psi front on the 2.8s. The 2.4 tires on my FS bike are usually in the low to mid 20s, but that bike also has the rear shock to dampen the bob... Another potential candidate for the bob may be the dropper - I'll need to pay closer attention the next time I ride it.

Hereís a cousin NS, pretty set for winter pending a mudguard or two if I can figure out how to fit Ďem between the stuffed 2.6 and fork that really doesnít want it to fit. Tried quickly and itís a heavy rub, seems like it will work between the seat stays though. Any direct form arch mounted fenders out there?
    Nice looking bike! I like the orange... Which frame is this?

As for the rub - is that fork designed for plus tires? Most boost forks will take at least a 2.8, some even bigger tires, with plenty of room for a fender. Non-boost forks, however, can be quite limiting. You'd have to check w/RockShox for what the max tire width your fork will accommodate.

Look at the Mucky Nutz fork fenders. They're relatively cheap, work pretty well, and can fit onto just about any crown with minimal impact to clearance. I have one on my Fox fork on the FS bike, and it works wonders.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor1977 View Post
    My Nordest Bardino Ti
    Really Nice looking bike.
    Your Nordest Bardino Ti is on my shortlist. How do you like it ? What size frame ? 160 fork? I do love Ti hardtails Not sure how to get one in California but Iím in the process of looking. Looks like 29er you try it 27.5?
    Four wheels move my body Two wheels move my soul

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by movingmountain View Post
    Really Nice looking bike.
    Your Nordest Bardino Ti is on my shortlist. How do you like it ? What size frame ? 160 fork? I do love Ti hardtails Not sure how to get one in California but Iím in the process of looking. Looks like 29er you try it 27.5?
    I just finished building it and only did a small ride here in Amsterdam yesterday. It feels good and actually rolls fast for a LTHT. Probably because of the 29 wheels. The fork is a 150 pike. Frame is size M (smallest size Nordest has). I haven't tried 27.5, I will do with 29 x 2.35 for a while especially here in the Netherlands where there is a lot of rain and mud. In spring/summer if I take it with me outside of the country I could go for 2.6 tires to see how that works out.

complete speclist:
    Frame: Nordest Bardino Titanium (M)
    Headset: Chris King
    Stem: Thomson 40mm silver
    Bar: Thomson trail 750mm carbon bar
    Grips: Ritchey foam grips
    Fork: Rockshox Pike 29 Boost 150mm
    BB: Chris King
    Brakes: Shimano SLX M7000
    Rotors: Shimano XT RT81 180mm
    Shifter: Shimano XTR M9000 ispec-ii
    Crank: Shimano XTR M9020
    Derailleur: Shimano XTR M9000
    Cassette: Sunrace CSMX8 11sp
    Chain: KMC X11EL 11sp
    Wheels: DT Swiss Boost E1700 spline-2 25mm
    Tires: Mavic Quest pro
    Dropper: Brand-X Ascend
    Dropper remote: OneUp Components ispec-ii remote
    seatpost clamp: Hope
    Saddle: Selle Italia X-LR Saddle
    Pedals: Xpedo XMX24MC

mtbr member
    Thanks. Nice build
    Four wheels move my body Two wheels move my soul

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Rode the NS Eccentric again yesterday afternoon. I'm absolutely loving these fatter tires. The traction is spectacular - they stick like glue to just about everything and feel plusher going over obstacles than I expected.

Bike feels very stable and easy to handle. Very maneuverable. Two rides in - turned out much better than I expected from my first build.

Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 15556162636465

Members who have read this thread: 590