all mountain bike problem- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

New question here. all mountain bike problem

I currently have a dilemma
    I am trying to decide between three bikes, the trek scratch air 9, trek remedy 9, or a pivot firebird. my budget is 5500 dollars, so that is no object, my question is, which bike would you get and why?
    i realize that the firebird will out-pedal the scratch and possibly the remedy, however i have heard that the scratch is a very capable descender and somewhat easy to pedal. i currently work for a bike shop that sells trek bikes, and i am hoping to get a discount, but i am looking for the best of the three bikes. Only trek or pivot, no specialized enduros for me.

If i get the scratch air, i will sell the talas fork and get the new 2011 float 180, as the vanilla shock is too heavy in my opinion, and the ideal build weight would be 36 pounds or less.

My riding style is extremely aggessive xc and all mountain, and i expect to move into downhill and big freeride in a couple of months. the biggest drop i plan to make is around 8-15 feet, and i am unsure if the remedy can take that much abuse.

My spec chart would be xt or better for shimano or sram x9 or better
    thanks for any feedback- i worked all of last summer to be able to afford a new bike like this and i only want the best (stupid me, i should just wait until next years bike comes out and then get one of these three bikes then, oh well)
    thanks for the input
    Fatwheels

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    Well if you get a trek discount kinda of a no brainer get the scratch plus have plenty of $ left over for a sweet trip somewhere.

Blue Pig
    Get a Diamondback Scapegoat with that amount of money.

http://www.diamondback.com/bikes/mtn.../scapegoat-11/
    Ragley Blue Pig

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Aha! Prophet bill has discovered the purpose of this years summer job

meow meow
    a scratch in the high setting would make a sweet agressive am ripper. and if you wanted to take it to the park or something just put it in the low setting and throw some meatier tires on there and go. if you ride more down than up or if big hits are an everyday thing thats the way id go.

T.W.O.
    I know it's not the prettiest one but I'd go with Firebird too. I went to similar thing a few months ago but I ended up with Mojo HD because it suit my riding style and set up. It pedal lighter than its weight the one I test ride(my buddy's) is 31lbs it climb just like my 28lbs Maverick ML8. Have you test ride all yet?

mtbr member
    8 to 15' drops??? Um, that's freeride bike territory if you're going to do it with any regularity. Your only real option would be the Scratch. You say you're gonna hit stuff that big in the near future, just curious what your biggest drop to date is?

mtbr member
    If you can get a shop-price bike = Trek, no brainer. Paying retail = IMO go Firebird, you can make that frame in to anything from burly XC / AM to light DH.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Biggest drop to flat is about 7 feet on a Gt force 2.0 biggest gap jump is around 8-10 feet. The drop to flat hurt my shocks(bottomed hard) and I am looking for a more capable bike in that area which I guess rules out the remedy
    Fatwheels

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    2011 GT Ruckus 7?
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    And don't be scared to walk. Walking is one of the mystical 3 gears of Single Speed.

Sit
    Stand
    Walk.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    i currently have a gt and while i like the i-drive system, my current bike is too close to the ruckus in travel and type of bike, in my opinion
    two more bikes have come to my attention, knolly delerium and the knolly v-tach
    i do not have any experience with diamondback, and no local shops sell them, maybe some day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fatwheels
    i currently have a gt and while i like the i-drive system, my current bike is too close to the ruckus in travel and type of bike

Fair enough. Although, the Ruckus uses the same pivot setup as the Fury and it's more of a freeride bike than the Force and as such, is meant to take a bit more abuse than a true AM bike. I personally love my Sanction 1.0, but if you think the Ruckus is too similar to your Force, then I won't even suggest the Sanction.
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    And don't be scared to walk. Walking is one of the mystical 3 gears of Single Speed.

Sit
    Stand
    Walk.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you really need a freeride bike that can be pedaled uphill.

Knolly Delirium
    Trek Scratch

+ some others to consider
    Banshee Scythe
    Norco Truax
    Santa Cruz Bullit
    Specialized SX Trail II

Santa Cruz VP free would fit the bill if you can find one in good shape

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    what type of bike should i get, a more freeride all mountain bike or a more downhill bike that can be pushed uphill?
    One other thing
    i am leaning more to the scratch coil or the session, because after talking to my boss, i can use my once a year purchase (i work at a bike shop) and get any bike they carry for about half off of the msrp, and half off or a scratch or session is only 2500-2800 dollars, which is about half of my budget
    has anyone ridden these bikes, if so what was the largest drop that you took them off of, and how torturous were they going up hill? a rating of them from one to ten would also help out a lot.
    thanks for any input
    fatwheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    As already said - " if you get a trek discount kinda of a no brainer get the scratch..."

I've got a bit of trail time on a scratch 9 (coil) and in my opinion it's exactly what you are looking for. It is very capable of "going big" and with air suspension is a fine trail bike, and could be used as a "one-bike." I was flat out blown away by how well it pedaled on flat ground and uphill, for what is essentially a mini-DH bike.

Honestly, it was my favorite bike I demo'd in 2010. (I'm no Trek shill either, heck, my current ride is a 2010 Giant Reign X...a fine bike as well.)
    Get a Scratch, it's awesome.

Picture Unrelated
    what type of bike should i get, a more freeride all mountain bike or a more downhill bike that can be pushed uphill?
    You don't want to be pushing bikes uphill, I would skip the DH bike. I would suggest getting the coil Scratch, but I'm the guy who is looking to put a coil on his AM bike this year so take that for what you will. They rent Scratches at Diablo so I think you'll be fine in that department, have you got to ride any of the bike you are considering?

Also, I don't know runs your shop but it's considered bad practice to go around shouting about how cheap you can buy bikes. Everyone know that you get a discount, you don't need to call out the prices. Imagine if you were at a car dealer and the salesman kept telling you how cheap he bought the car you're looking at while you were stuck paying retail. EP pricing is supposed to be kept to yourself even if it isn't entirely a secret.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Even as a delirium owner, if you are getting a shop deal on a trek, get the scratch, and spend $600 of the extra to go to a better ride camp.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I have finally decided, i went on a test ride with a remedy and a scratch, and a friends giant faith, and i liked the scratch the best. I am going for either the scratch air 9 with a 180mm float, or a scratch coil 9
    Sorry about posting any information about my shop/deal, upon reflection, i would not some [email protected] telling me that they could get a better deal on equipment than me, and i apologize.
    I looked at a knolly delerium t, but i have had a bad experience with marzocchi, i had a 2008 marzocchi fork that sucked, and all of the knollys typically have marzocchi forks on them, and i don't trust marzocchi just yet. also, nobody sells knolly's within 1000 miles of where i live, so that also plays into consideration
    I am hoping to be able to go to moab sometime this summer, and i think that i should have some fun going there.
    thanks for all of the info regarding the bikes and other stuff
    fatwheels

Picture Unrelated
    I have finally decided, i went on a test ride with a remedy and a scratch, and a friends giant faith, and i liked the scratch the best. I am going for either the scratch air 9 with a 180mm float, or a scratch coil 9
    Sorry about posting any information about my shop/deal, upon reflection, i would not some [email protected] telling me that they could get a better deal on equipment than me, and i apologize.
    I looked at a knolly delerium t, but i have had a bad experience with marzocchi, i had a 2008 marzocchi fork that sucked, and all of the knollys typically have marzocchi forks on them, and i don't trust marzocchi just yet. also, nobody sells knolly's within 1000 miles of where i live, so that also plays into consideration
    I am hoping to be able to go to moab sometime this summer, and i think that i should have some fun going there.
    thanks for all of the info regarding the bikes and other stuff
    fatwheels
    I think you'll be really happy with either of those bikes. If you need Moab advice (including: don't go to Moab in the summer) feel free to PM me. I'm no Moab local, but I only live a few hours away and have been there many times and am happy to help to the extent I can.

Edit: we will be expecting pictures, so hurry up and order.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    it will take a while to get, so these will have to do for now
    /Users/dormanboys/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2011/Feb 21, 2011/P1080069.JPG/Users/dormanboys/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2011/Feb 21, 2011/P1080067.JPG/Users/dormanboys/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2011/Feb 21, 2011/P1080064.JPG/Users/dormanboys/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2011/Feb 21, 2011/P1080071.JPG

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    apparently copy and paste on a mac does not work
    we will see if websites work
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7OL-EPudYU (a friend of mine)

http://fatwheelsmtb.webs.com/apps/ph...bumid=11302372 (my website), these are some of the jumps in the area, but i will be hitting much bigger then this

Picture Unrelated
    That first one in the photo section looks like so much fun! And I always approve of TV on the Radio, so you have my interest. Looking forward to future posts.

Members who have read this thread: 0