5010 vs Stumpjumper vs Rustler- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

5010 vs Stumpjumper vs Rustler

OK , here goes. So about 2 years ago my trusty Giant Trance got stolen (may she rest in peace). It had been a good bike and as soon as I was done being appropriately mad I saw the silver lining that was *gasp* TIME FOR AN UPGRADE! After much shop visiting , forum lurking , demo rides and just trying to make up my damn mind I finally settled on a Transition Scout GX. I've put in a nice amount of miles on it and its been a pretty solid performer and was a pretty big step up from the old Trance. However , 2 things got me thinking.

#1 : Someone I ride with just got a new Stumpjumper (don't remember exactly which variant) and I got the chance to swing a leg over it for a few miles of single track. I came away fairly impressed with how well it handled but especially how well it climbed , even considering the drivetrain differences (Scout has a 50t vs 46 on the stumpy).

#2 : I've finally decided I'm ready to take the plunge / drink the cool aid and go carbon. I'm in a job situation thats rewarding financally but is highly challenging and taxing emotionally , to which I have turned to exercise and being outdoors as therapy. So the extra cost of carbon is something I'm starting to view as an investment and not a cost.

All of that being said , I've narrowed my new bike browsing down to 3 bikes. I'm looking at Specialized Stumpjumper ST Expert 27.5 , Santa Cruz 5010 (carbon S build) , and the Salsa Rustler GX. If you've got insight or expirence in any or a combination of those 3 bikes , lets hear it. What say you MTBR?! And much thanks ahead of time!
    Saying that you "hate" or are an "unapologetic critic" of a bike company doesn't make you insightful or interesting.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    They are all awesome and you can't go wrong, really. If you can demo, that's the best way to decide, but I know that isn't always possible. So here's some more info.

Santa Cruz warranty dept is amazing so that's a factor.

I've ridden the stumpy and the 5010 and they both pedal well. Stumpy is a bit better going down and 5010 a bit better going up.

Other than that, I'd probably decide based on price and components.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Roll Tide
    Jan 2019
    I love my Stumpy ST alloy comp so I couldn't imagine how awesome the expert is.
    5010 vs Stumpjumper vs Rustler-2019-06-13-18.28.09.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've got a 2019 Expert Stumpy ST29. I have played around on a SC Tallboy and a Jet9 RDO but haven't ridden the other bikes you mentioned. Came off a built up 2013 Camber. I was expecting the Stumpy to descend better and it does-with a lot more confidence. Any of the bike you mentioned will probably do that though. The technical climbing is what surprised me. Right off the bat, I was climbing better. I do know a guy that switched from a 5010 to a Stumpy for it's climbing ability.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I've ridden the V2 5010 and the newest Stumpjumper. Out of those two, the 5010 was my favorite. In fact, I think the V2 5010 is my favorite full suspension bike I've ever ridden, but I also really enjoyed the Pivot Switchblade. The Stumpjumper I'd lump into a large category in the middle compared to all of the bikes I've ridden. I could probably have a blast on either one just about anywhere. In fact, I'd ride either one on the rowdiest terrain I have the balls to ride, and while the 5010 (which had 27.5x2.5 tires) was much snappier to me, both are quality bikes.

I have ridden newer 29ers and my once-hatred for them was probably overblown, even though I'm a smaller rider, but I get the vibe that when riding them, I just tend to prefer the shorter tires, perhaps because fewer compromises are necessary for me to fit on them.