5.10 Impact vs Freerider- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

5.10 Impact vs Freerider

I have the older Impact low and they are worn out. My feet hurt on long DH's and long xc rides because they have become floppy unlike when they were new. I'm attracted to the freerider because it's lighter and I'm sure cooler in the summer, but I'm worried about foot fatigue. I've heard some say stick with the impact because the freerider isn't stiff enough for long rides and long DH's, and some complain about foot pain compared to the impacts. I've heard some say the freerider is better because the impact is too chunky. I'll be trail riding in them 99% of the time with a few ski lift days, little to no shuttling, 10 to 20 mile rides with rocky DH is the norm.

mtbr member
    i have the impact and if i were to get another five ten shoe it would be the new multisport skate one

mtbr member
    May 2009
    In a recent vid on either VitalMTB or Sicklines about 5.10's, the representative shows off the Baron & makes it sound like it's an inbetween of the Impact & Freerider but doesn't really explain how other than the toe protection. I want to try a pair out later this summer but I'm on hilly XC trails so have a lot of pedalling so stiffness concerns me (I've been wearing Vans). I'm considering the Baron...

T.W.O
    The Barons look pretty nice. The Impact's sole looks just as chunky as my Merrils that I am currently wearing. When I buy some I am either going for the Freerider or Baron, depending on if there is free shipping and what not.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    what about the spitfire mates?

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    The Impacts/freeriders have a different formula of Stealth rubber than the Baron.

Impact/Freerider: S1 formula (my favorite by far)
    Baron: PH Formula (phantom?)

I have a pair of 5.10's with the PH formula rubber for general riding around, they are noticeably less grippy on the same pedals than an older pair of Impacts.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s
    The Impacts/freeriders have a different formula of Stealth rubber than the Baron.

Impact/Freerider: S1 formula (my favorite by far)
    Baron: PH Formula (phantom?)

I have a pair of 5.10's with the PH formula rubber for general riding around, they are noticeably less grippy on the same pedals than an older pair of Impacts.

To make things more confusing, not all freeriders have the S1 rubber, only the black and gray and white tiger I think? I was excited about the baron until I learned it has PH rubber. S1 is the only way to go for DH and trial riding IMO. Any one own both the impact and the freerider's with s1 rubber?

T.W.O
    Bit of a hijack thread but how do they fit? Pretty true to size?
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

Blue Pig
    Ever looked into the "No one likes these shoes because they are plain so let's sell them dirt cheap" skateboard shoes? I got Etnies for $45 and suckers stick to the pedals like dried bird crap on your car window.
    Ragley Blue Pig

T.W.O
    Mmmmm bird crap
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks
    Ever looked into the "No one likes these shoes because they are plain so let's sell them dirt cheap" skateboard shoes? I got Etnies for $45 and suckers stick to the pedals like dried bird crap on your car window.
    While this may be true, you dont get the sole stiffness 5.10s have, and not even close to the grip (I used to ride on skate shoes as well..)

Blue Pig
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigiugueto
    While this may be true, you dont get the sole stiffness 5.10s have, and not even close to the grip (I used to ride on skate shoes as well..)
    I don't know... I have worn Freeriders and the feeling is the same in some skateboard shoes. The bottom is the same more or less.
    Ragley Blue Pig

mtbr member
    May 2009
    When the pic of the Baron's first went up on their site, the sole was different- a new sole that wasn't on any of the other shoes. Now it looks the same (but diff rubber compound, I guess?) but I've seen pics of the Barons on a few sites that has the new sole that doesn't look 'soft' (Never worn 5.10's but the rubber looks soft, not saying it is).

For stiffness, I'd think the shoe would have to have a sturdy mid-sole? Guessing the Impacts do...? I'm guessing the sole is not soft otherwise they'd be torn up easily by the pins.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The Barons were initially billed as a different shoe all together from the rest of their line-up. They were supposed to be a step in between the impacts and the freerider. That changed. The Baron simply became a red cosmetic freerider. Same sole, same shoe.
    I found the freerider sole too thin, flexy, and unsupportive for long pedaly rides. I have been running the Shimano Am41 with great success. They have some kind of foam bed/insert built into the shoe that prevents foot fatigue but it also allows for great pedal feel. They replaced my impacts for all around riding.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi
    The Barons were initially billed as a different shoe all together from the rest of their line-up. They were supposed to be a step in between the impacts and the freerider. That changed. The Baron simply became a red cosmetic freerider. Same sole, same shoe.
    I found the freerider sole too thin, flexy, and unsupportive for long pedaly rides. I have been running the Shimano Am41 with great success. They have some kind of foam bed/insert built into the shoe that prevents foot fatigue but it also allows for great pedal feel. They replaced my impacts for all around riding.

I'll have to check out the shimano's. Bummer that 5.10 decided to turn the baron into another ugly color option for the freerider. Something in between the impact and freerider would be perfect for a lot of people. Teva will release their sticky rubber shoe soon, but it looks floppy like the freerider. Maybe more floppy?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I rode the impact low's for 2 seasons before switching to the freeriders. I find the freeriders to grip better, be more comfortable, and offer more control because there is no arch on the sole, so more of the shoe contacts the pedal.

On the impact, the sole is arched right where I always felt I wanted to place the pedal, and this led to foot cramps.

mtbr member
    I've used the Freerider with the Stealth rubber for over a year on anything from good XC trails of over 30 miles, the Ashland Super D, downhill and freeride shuttles and everyday trail rides. It has been an excellent shoe and will be picking up another pair as soon as these are worn out. These are lighter than the Impact and have been more comfortable to go from the trail to town after a ride.

mtbr member
    Just got the new 2011 freerider, great shoe

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-iMqmnL47r.../s1600/510.JPG

more info on my blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    5.10's are definately NOT skate shoes!! I used to wear skate shoes as well and I too thought they were fine until I threw on some 5.10's. The 5.10's stick so well that it sucks sometimes once you place your foot on a DH section because readjustment is this situation is near impossible without stopping completely!

Go for the Impacts....they rule!

I'm with stupid
    I have both the free rider and the low impacts. I find myself riding the free rider more because they are a little less stiff. I get a better feeling of the bike a bit more flex adds just one more fine tuned input for the rider. My impacts feel like im riding on a board with some sticky ***** on the bottom. Also impact are beefy, and i me orthopedic looking beefy. It all depends on what you like as a rider, more feel of the pedals threw the shoe (freerider) or super stiff but heavy and chunky (impacts)

On a side note i do like the added protection and durability of the impacts over the freeriders.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Colddiver98
    I've used the Freerider with the Stealth rubber for over a year on anything from good XC trails of over 30 miles, the Ashland Super D, downhill and freeride shuttles and everyday trail rides. It has been an excellent shoe and will be picking up another pair as soon as these are worn out. These are lighter than the Impact and have been more comfortable to go from the trail to town after a ride.
    You sound like you ride like me so please tell me whether or not you notice more impacts through the shoes with the freeriders on long xc rides or extended DH. I've done the ashland super, super fun! But there's almost no rocks. I'm in CO and it's pretty much all rocks. This is why I'm worried that the freeriders will cause foot pain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Alls I gots to say is 5.10 move over....the new Teva Links shoe is the new king of flat pedal shoes.
    Finally someone has ticked all the boxes. Lightweight, super comfortable, not bulky, perfectly stiff sole, super grippy, great heel cup support, waterproof. These shoes are perfect for everything from long pedaly rides to DH. The sole design is fantastic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfox90 View Post
    My sz 14 impacts fit exactly the same as size 14 Nike basketball shoes.

I can only use the impacts they don't make any of the other versions in 14s

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi View Post
    Alls I gots to say is 5.10 move over....the new Teva Links shoe is the new king of flat pedal shoes.
    Finally someone has ticked all the boxes. Lightweight, super comfortable, not bulky, perfectly stiff sole, super grippy, great heel cup support, waterproof. These shoes are perfect for everything from long pedaly rides to DH. The sole design is fantastic.
    What colour and size did you get; what do they cost and where did you get them from? How are they wearing?

Tim

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I can say that if the Freerider is anything like the Spitfire, I'd think it is too thin for long DH days. I like my Spitfires, but will rock different shoes for all-day adventures.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    What colour and size did you get; what do they cost and where did you get them from? How are they wearing?

Tim
    I got the black and purple ones, size 13. I bought them directly off of TEVA's website. You had to type in Links under search in order to get them to pull up, and then they said they were out of stock until the 18th of July, but mine arrived July 1st. The weird thing is that I tried to find you the web page, but it no longer comes up. BTW, a size 9 is on ebay right now for cheap.
    I've been on a bunch of rides with them, and they are hands down the best pair of flat pedal shoes that I've owned. The sole seems super durable, which was a problem with my Shimano AM41 shoes. The pattern of the sole also grasps the pedal pins really well, yet still allows for small adjustments. The only change I would like to see happen is some sort of lace retention strap, to tuck in the laces.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I can say that if the Freerider is anything like the Spitfire, I'd think it is too thin for long DH days.
    +1 to this, I wore Freeriders for a day of lift-access DH this year and my feet HURT. Never had a problem with Vans or other skate shoes. The 5.10s worked great for regular trail riding, but after a few DH runs standing on them my feet were killing me. The sole is just too thin in the arch area. I'll try some new insoles next time I ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi View Post
    The only change I would like to see happen is some sort of lace retention strap, to tuck in the laces.
    The straps on shoes never really work well for me. Just pull the loops back through the laced up section.

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by pfox90 View Post
    I wear a 9.5 usually, sometimes a 10 depending on the manufacturer. Size 10 for the Impacts, so I'd say they run just a tad small.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

Members who have read this thread: 2