31.8 vs 35 bars?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

31.8 vs 35 bars?

I'm getting ready to do a complete front end upgrade. As far as bars go, I've read tons of info on 31.8mm vs 35mm, but what are your opinions on each, good and bad, in the real world.

mtbr member
    I'm a pretty heavy dude. I feel the 31.8 on my bike is plenty stiff, but has enough flex to dampen washboard and rough conditions so my wrists and shoulders don't get beat up quickly.

I figure a much more expensive fork will do a better job so I could run a stiffer bar, but I'd also enjoy the extra plushness of staying with 31.8

I'd say downhillers with great forks and serious shredders can benefit, but the rest of us, meh. I think 31.8 is a good cross between flex and strength. YMMV, IMO, ETC.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    I have 35 Atlas stem and SIXC bars. They feel stiff but not harsh, I don't really notice them, which is good. I think you can go either way and get a great setup. However my setup looks about as cool as it can get, and that's 90% right there😉. There are more options in 31.8.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    31.8 is still fine for bruiser, ham-fisted dudes over 230lbs.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    31.8, because none of my lights or other accessories will mount to a 35mm bar.

mtbr member
    Stick with 31.8 and spend your money on a decently priced carbon bar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    31.8, because none of my lights or other accessories will mount to a 35mm bar.
    The only thing I mount on the bar is a light that straps on with a big o ring, and if fits fine. Any kind of fixed clamp though...
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    The only thing I mount on the bar is a light that straps on with a big o ring, and if fits fine. Any kind of fixed clamp though...
    My Cygolite 800 fits fine on the 35mm bar and I found a good clamp on amazon for my gopro knock off camera that fits fine on 35 bars.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    They claim they are able to make 35mm bars lighter. That seems to be true when I compared 31.8 and 35 bars of the same lengths made by the same manufacturers.

mtbr member
    I agree on the weights of the bars. I have found the same thing with my research. The 35s are also claimed to be a bit stronger, but they are more expensive, and there seems to be a better selection of stems for 31.8. Just wanting to get it right the first time since it seems like it always takes a few sets of bar/stem combos to find what I really like!

LCW
    mtbr member
    another new "standard" we didn't need...

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter235 View Post
    I agree on the weights of the bars. I have found the same thing with my research. The 35s are also claimed to be a bit stronger, but they are more expensive, and there seems to be a better selection of stems for 31.8. Just wanting to get it right the first time since it seems like it always takes a few sets of bar/stem combos to find what I really like!
    After looking around and doing comparisons I bought the Raceface Atlas bar and paired it with the Raceface Turbine stem for my 160mm AM bike. It doesn't hurt one bit that it's supposed to be stronger than 31.8 bars. I thought about going with the Atlas stem which is more stout and also they recommend for the Atlas bar but the Turbine was significantly lighter from what I remember. If it was for a full on DH bike I probably would have gotten the Atlas stem.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    another new "standard" we didn't need...
    Oh I don't know. I tried to go for a ride this morning on my 26er without Boost hubs and I couldn't get out of the TH parking lot. Just could roll over anything without the extra 1.5 inches of diameter and stiffer rear wheel.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Has anyone ever broken a 31.8mm, "all mountain" bar. By "all maountain bar" I mean at least 750mm wide, carbon or alloy. The only bar I've ever broken was one of the first XC carbon bars available (Ritchey, I believe), I've never been able to break one of the later offerings, although I've onl used aluminum since.

Do you really need stronger bars?

Interesting thing about weight, though. I believe that would be the only consideration.

Robertson
    Only time I've seen people break bars is carbon bars that they way over-tighten their brake/shifter levers to, then after a while of hard riding the stress makes the bar break right at that spot. Happened to someone at a race this weekend actually

外国人
    Jun 2007
    holy thread revival batman, the 35mm handlebars is just another "standard" so that guys like us will continue to buy new parts. running a 31.8mm raceface atlas and it is good enough for me. i still have my old *sunnline* (sp) 31.8mm handlebars!
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

mtbr member
    Konami code

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Contra code
    Fixed

Barely in control
    The only option left is to go to 35mm bars all the way to the tips so we can just wrap them with bar tape and not fuss with specially made grips. Until then I'll stick with the inferior 31.8.

mtbr member
    I've used both, either is fine. But being described as a gorilla, I prefer to swing from the bigger bars

MCMXCV
    I'm a strong 220lb rider on a 31.8 Syntace Megaforce 2 stem and 31.8 800mm Renthal v2 aluminum bars and won't be switching to 35mm any time soon........

...... nice try bike industry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    ...... nice try bike industry.
    They tried that with road bikes...I don't think it really took off.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    I posted this response before in a different thread.

This must be a regional thing. I have not had a bike with a 31.8 bar for years. Not one bike in my garage has a 31.8 bar, including my daughter’s two bikes. I don’t know anyone who rides a 31.8.

mtbr member
    We have lighter AND stronger bars, and people complain about it like it's a bad thing.

If I needed a new bar and stem, I'd go 35. I'm glad things change.

EAT MORE GRIME
    yeah well, 35 is getting long in the tooth

the future is coming

"Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Fixed
    Worked on more Konami games than Contra.