Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    A lot of us like the change from 26 to 27.5 wheels. If anything, it took a really, really long time to finally change it. It was a good move and im glad it happened. 26er is dead, and good riddance!
    Did you mean 29 to 650B? There's almost no difference between 26 and 650B. 25mm diameter, so 12.5mm essentially. In fact attempts to measure the difference suggests the variation is down to statistical error. In fact with some wacky tire combos you could end up with the same total diameter on both rims.
    I rode my bike which is the last 26 they made, with the 2015 replacement which was 650B alternating for a day in a bike park. Everything was identical except the brakes. I didn't notice any difference. 29 on the other hand is proven quicker for most disciplines, and now that they seem to be able to make wheels strong enough for DH they could probably d to away with 650 too. Still, my bike has life in yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    The "resistance" is dropping $5k or more for a new bike. I don't doubt that they are amazing.
    This is so true for me. In 1999 I was happy to pay top dollar for a really light FS bike. Now my circumstance limits available $ and I think it sucks to spend $2k and get heavy as lead cassettes and wheels. Even at $5k the components are lower mid-level. Yes they work fantastic and last way better than what my top dollar fork/shock did 20yrs ago; that is a great thing, but the cost has skyrocketed. It's a good thing we don't NEED latest&greatest to love our trail time.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard View Post
    I rode my bike which is the last 26 they made, with the 2015 replacement which was 650B alternating for a day in a bike park. .
    Maybe it was the trail type in that park, but 4yrs ago I switched and bought a 27.5. 1st thing I noticed was the roll-over amazed me. I was use to going over steps that would try and stop the bike. By staying back an riding aggressive you'd avoid an endo, but the bike would shudder at the impact. I know/knew the bigger 29 offered more of that, but there is more than roll over to consider. I actually sometimes think big wheels make it too easy. I also get frustrated when rocks and roots get removed/covered. I mean come on! The big wheels we have now already make easier.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    I was really pissed when the bike industry went from 27.5 to 650B. Or was it the other way around?
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    You in no way have to buy a 5k bike. My orbea was $1900 on sale, but I could have kept riding my 26er for another decade if I didnt want to spend the money.

No one is being forced into new anything.
    I was just using $5k because that's where the preponderance of really decent bikes generally begins. I know you can get cheaper.

The new crop of 29er's look really nice, but I don't change bikes every couple of years and will continue to ride my 27.5 for the foreseeable future.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Shift the front der with your left thumb, the rear with your right. What am I missing? Besides a bunch of overlapping ratios, cross-chaining, and janky noises as the derailleur tries to shift to the big ring. I know how to use it, and did for years, just prefer not too.
    You're missing quite a bit. You can use either ring with all gears no problem. It's more like a 1x11 with two chainring options. A few overlapping ratios is irrelevant. You get a front shift worth about 3 rear shifts so you don't have to be cranking on the right shifter all the time. Shifts are almost instant. there is no jank.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    Maybe it was the trail type in that park, but 4yrs ago I switched and bought a 27.5..
    What was your old and what is your new bike?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbutfunky View Post
    What are you talking about? None of that questions makes any sense. Why would 29ers go “extinct” if they move to 148 boost? All that would go extinct would be a hub, the wheels will still stay 29” or 27.5+ regardless of hub spacing.

You can use that hub to lace some old 650b rims to and keep the 27.5” running a little longer.
    Reading comprehension. Reg non boost 142 29ers going extinct because now 148/157 superboost is the new(er) fad was my point. Good idea to delete yourself then if you're getting that upset not liking others opinions/comments.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Looks like Giant will end up eating a lot of crow.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Reading comprehension. Reg non boost 142 29ers going extinct because now 148/157 superboost is the new(er) fad was my point. Good idea to delete yourself then if you're getting that upset not liking others opinions/comments.
    Sure doesn’t sound like he is getting upset, at all, to me. And not sure what you’re talking about with calling out reading comprehension as this thread is about wheel size, not hub standards. Maybe reread the title of the thread because pointing out hub standards is like pointing out BB standards, it’s irrelivent since 29ers aren’t going anywhere regardless if hub or B.B. or whatever other standards change.

Also, telling him “good idea to delete yourself” sounds a little aggressive, almost like you’re getting fired up, maybe even... upset? It seems he is just pointing out that what your saying doesn’t make sense.

For example, if I have a 29er with non-boost hubs and the frame breaks and I get warrantied a new 29er frame with boost spacing because they don’t make the non-boost spacing anymore, then all I would have to do is get a boost hub and some new spokes and lace it up to my rear rim. Super easy and all my other parts including all my extra tires (front and rear), entire front wheel and fork will transfer over. And I would still be riding what is now become standard wheel size for mountain bikes, a 29er, but with little bit stiffer rear end. So, still riding a 29er, just a slightly more updated one.

If you have a 27.5” and the frame breaks and you get warrantied a new frame and it is a 29er with boost spacing because they don’t make a 27.5” frame anymore, then your now going way beyond a new hub and some spokes. Your now talking about getting an entire new rear wheel (hub, spokes, rim, rim tape) replacing all your different sets of rear tires and your front ones also, because you’ll need an entirely new front wheel as well as front tires and, of course, an entirely new fork. And when you’re done buying all that, you’ll now be riding a bike that is much different than your old bike and no longer a 27.5”, but a 29er. However, as pointed out, the editors of pinkbike have indicated it would be a much better ride, so you’ll have that going for you

Hope that didn’t get you anymore upset.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I was just at the bike shops and half the bikes around were 27.5 or 27.5+

mtbr member
    May 2014
    ^so, then 75% were 29er/27.5+ and 25% non-plus 27.5”? Sounds about right. Probably take them a while to get the 25% of non-plus 27.5” stock sold down. Could catch some good sales on those.

ninjichor.com
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    Looks like Giant will end up eating a lot of crow.
    Have they made a good handling 29er yet?

I know some of their 29ers are selling/popular, but I'll leave the judgement to those that do extensive comparison testing with the likes of the many 29er trail, am, and enduro bikes being introduced.

From what little I've seen, their Reign is the only one getting recognized as a *top* contender in its category (e.g. editors' choice award), so I guess they can still say 27.5 is their forte.

Barely in control
    Giant will just ignore the past and consumers will let it slide, just like they let the following things slide: stealing DW's ip and calling it maestro, lying in adverts about road bike frame weights, lying in adverts about aero road frame performance, and those are just the things off the top of my head.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    No way. 27.5 is as large you will go for smaller riders not going for podiums or ride xc professionally. That is a huge market.

We might see 29 be replaced by 30 or 31 though as it will be faster for 5.11 up riders riding xc professionally. The rest of the world needs to follow them to get same fame and speed. Reviewers will all agree.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I've ridden several 29ers and it always feels like the ride and wheels are too tall.

The first was a 2014 trek 29er with 100mm of travel. The bike was setup properly for my weight. Compared to 27.5, it felt sluggish and oversized. It wasn't a fun ride.

The second was the pivot shuttle with 29" wheels. Same feeling. The wheels felt too big, slowing acceleration compared with 27.5 and wth sluggish handling.

27.5 feels more "playful" and more maneuverable while having much better rollover compared to 26.

29ers can also compromise standover as well, which I for one, still think is a good thing.

I really like 27.5 and 27.5+. I hope to demo the trek 29+ Stache soon. Maybe that will change my mind. I really like the plush feel of + sized tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a 27.5 FS now. truth is I love it. have ridden 29rs, and they are faster and have a smoother effect. but, I still have my 26 HT and that bike is just wrong. F-ing wrong. So wrong that I still ride it on smoother trails or trails with jumps and urban type fun.

at the end of the day.... to each his own

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12