27.2 Dropper Post Suggestion Needed- Mtbr.com
    I'm Done

27.2 Dropper Post Suggestion Needed

My saddle rail height is only 6" past the post collar, and I've been unable to find a drop post that extends 6" or less from the post collar when it is fully inserted in the seat tube.

Doing scale comparisons on the net, the Gravity Dropper appears to need about 6-3/4" of minimum extension from the post collar. x-fusion extends at least 7.5" and kindshock a painfully close 6.5"

Am I out of options for a 27.2? I've arrived at my current seat height through a lot of riding, and I would not want to extend it even 1/2" just to accommodate a dropper post.

mtbr member
    Contact GD to see if they can customize one for you..

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I might not be thinking clearly this morning yet but I recall someone talking about being able to ahim one of the posts. I'd be contacting x-fusion and GD to see what they say.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sorry, that is supposed to read "shim"...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    "You would need to have 7 1/4 of exposed post in your up position to run a 4 inch drop post. 6 1/4 to run a 3 inch drop and 5 1/4 to run a 2 inch drop"
    from gravitydropper.com

In other words, get a 2 inch GD Turbo.
    Last edited by svalgis; 07-08-2012 at 10:26 AM.

mtbr member
    I have a KS 950 in 27.2 and like you say it would be 6.5" to the rail. Have you contacted them to see if you can internally limit it? Maybe you can just sacrifice 0.5" of post travel.

If the 2" drop GD isn't enough, here's a radical option: is it possible to cut the 1/2" off your seat tube? If it's extended enough above the top tube, and the frame is out of warranty, and you aren't worried about resale value it's an option. You'd probably need to extend the compression slot and drill a new stop hole if you did.

I'm Done
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidmantis View Post
    I have a KS 950 in 27.2 and like you say it would be 6.5" to the rail. Have you contacted them to see if you can internally limit it? Maybe you can just sacrifice 0.5" of post travel.

If the 2" drop GD isn't enough, here's a radical option: is it possible to cut the 1/2" off your seat tube? If it's extended enough above the top tube, and the frame is out of warranty, and you aren't worried about resale value it's an option. You'd probably need to extend the compression slot and drill a new stop hole if you did.
    Thanks for the suggestions, I haven't contacted any of the companies about limiting but I had thought about it. Also, the seat-tube cannot be shortened.

Quote Originally Posted by svalgis View Post
    "You would need to have 7 1/4 of exposed post in your up position to run a 4 inch drop post. 6 1/4 to run a 3 inch drop and 5 1/4 to run a 2 inch drop"
    from gravitydropper.com

In other words, get a 2 inch GD Turbo.
    I had totally missed that, thank you. I'm off to test how much of a difference 2" makes. Any trail experience with this is welcome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I used to manually drop my post two inches for descents, before I got my GD - I used a bit of tape on the post to limit it and get the same position every time. Two inch was perfect for that because I could still pedal decently for short periods (not a concern when you have a dropper though obviously) while it still certainly made a significant difference when tearing it up on the descents.

So yeah, I'd say it's definitely worth it and I would certainly go for it if I was in your situation - if you are absolutely certain that you can't live with the the 6 1/4" post that the 3" version would give you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I just installed an XFusion HiLo post (100mm drop) on my CX bike. It is about 6-3/4" from the bottom of the seat tube collar to the top of the seat rail when fully extended. I started with about 6" from top of seat tube to seat rail and trimmed off about 3/4" of the top tube to fit the dropper post in there.

mtbr member
    My GD is exactly 6in to saddle rails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.2 Dropper Post Suggestion Needed-imageuploadedbytapatalk1341786246.546076.jpg  

I'm Done
    Quote Originally Posted by ebeer View Post
    My GD is exactly 6in to saddle rails.
    Gravity Dropper is sticking by 6-1/4, maybe there's some variation? They have no interest or advice for modding their posts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    raise your saddle by 1/4 inch and go ride it to see if you could get by with that much additional height.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Rase seat post is what you're looking for. I have one on my Prophet with a 27.2 seat post.

While the thing has huge travel you can easily adjust it's max extended height with a set screw.

Total mechanical post that I've had 0 issues with. Yes it has a little slop but never noticed while riding. I use the cover and keep the shaft lightly lubed with Tri-Flow.

RASE | Rapid Adjust Seatpost…The Ultimate Adjustable Bike Seat Post

2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b SOLD

I'm Done
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Rase seat post is what you're looking for. I have one on my Prophet with a 27.2 seat post.
    That would seem ideal, but the 4" insertion length doesn't reach down to my top tube / seat tube junction. I would need at least 6" of insertion for it to.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Durga View Post
    That would seem ideal, but the 4" insertion length doesn't reach down to my top tube / seat tube junction. I would need at least 6" of insertion for it to.
    What bike do you have? Straight seat tube or interrupted? I'm not quite understanding the insertion issue.
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er

I'm Done
    Salsa Dos Niner. Definitely not all-mountain, but I figured this would be one of the best places to ask.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    what is the deepest insertion possible?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That's what she said...

I'm Done
    Quote Originally Posted by bspill1 View Post
    what is the deepest insertion possible?
    maybe 400mm

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Durga View Post
    So are you concerned there wont be enough support for the RASE post since it wont reach that juntion point or further?

Looking at pics of that bike frame on-line to me the RASE would be perfect. Especially since you can easily adjust how much the post can extend.
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er

Members who have read this thread: 0