26'' am hard tail build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

26'' am hard tail build

Looking to build a 26'' HT. I have been wanting to build this bike for a while, and before I buy the Transition Trans AM frame I was wondering if anyone had any other frames in a 26'' Ht that are worth looking at.

Thanks

mtbr member
    ragley blue pig, evil soveriegn (discontinued), santa cruz chameleon (aluminum), Cotic BFE, Chromag Stylus, NS Surge, OnOne 456

mtbr member
    The first bike that comes to mind when I think AM HT is the OnONe 456

mtbr member

Chameleon

I have to go with the Chameleon simply because it is the only all mountain hardtail I ever built up. It goes back to the first generation RS Pike when I had that with 140 mm travel, Magura Louise FR brakes, Nevegal DH tires on Rhyno Lite rims, Hadley front hub with 20mm axle and XT for everything else. I had a 50 mm stem that I'm still using on my Trance. The drivetrain was a 2 x 9 with an eThirteen bash guard.

It was a pretty solid build that I eventually sold to make room for new stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If I were jumping into the waters of 26" HT today, I'd be weary of spending more than the 456evo is going for. Sure, there are better frames but in the event that you don't like a 26 HT you would have to practically give the frame away. Not many folks buying 26ers nowadays much less a 26 HT.

BTW, this past winter I was in the same boat as you are and I ended up getting the Transam 29. Great bike as a companion to a 26 FS trail/AM ride.

mtbr member
    Im a big fan of the AM Hardtail, if that's what you like go for it!
    Onone 456 is a sweet frame. Do a search on Pink bike there are others like us there
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    The ragley and the one-ones both looks pretty sweet. I'm considering going for the 456 Carbon.

I was also looking at the Transition Trans am but it looks like the 26" version is discontinued now. Where did you find one?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have a friend that used to have the 456 carbon. It beat the living hell out of him. That's a VERY stiff frame. I'd go steel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    If I were jumping into the waters of 26" HT today, I'd be weary of spending more than the 456evo is going for. Sure, there are better frames but in the event that you don't like a 26 HT you would have to practically give the frame away. Not many folks buying 26ers nowadays much less a 26 HT.
    This is an excellent point.

But if you aren't concerned with the investment side of things you should definitely look at chromag. AM hardtails are their bread and butter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks everyone for you replies, and i guess i spoke too soon Transition doesnt make the 26'' Trans AM anymore. Any ideas on how that 27.5'' HT works. That also might be an option for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Another question for you guys out there. Does any one own a Cotic manly looking at the Soul 27.5'', but just want to know how heavy and durable their bikes are.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AllabouttheTREK View Post
    Thanks everyone for you replies, and i guess i spoke too soon Transition doesnt make the 26'' Trans AM anymore. Any ideas on how that 27.5'' HT works. That also might be an option for me.
    It should be great. On paper it's pretty close to identical to the kona exsplosif, which I owned and was very happy with. I bent the frame in a crash and replaced it with a chromag samurai 65 which I'm also really happy with.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am partial to OnOne 456 (steel frame). I have it and love it. Unfortunately, the industry killed 26" and I would look at the OnOne 45650. Still, these guys know their sheet when it come to AM hardtails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllabouttheTREK View Post
    It's awesome! This thread is worth a read.

http://forums.mtbr.com/transition-bi...am-893025.html
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I own a Chromag Samurai, bought it used and refurbished the frame and it's probably the most fun I've ever had on a bike. It splits trail time with my Banshee Spitfire, but I have to say that the Samurai is my favorite of the two.

Before I found the killer deal on the Samurai frame, I was eyeing a Trans Am frame as well. Trans Am seems fun, but if I were to choose a different frame it would likely be the Stanton Slackline - 853 if you have the money, 631 if you don't.

Here's shot of my Chromag (it now has a KS LEV dropper instead of the Gravity Dropper).26'' am hard tail build-p4pb10086102.jpg
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai