2020 Sight vs Sentinel V2 - Which is the best "All rounder"?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    22

    2020 Sight vs Sentinel V2 - Which is the best "All rounder"?

    Hey everyone, I've decided that 160mm+ enduro sleds are just too much for my riding area and with Covid shutting down most bike parks I'm going to downsize and these two bikes are my front runners.

    On paper they are very similar. Has anyone had a chance to ride both of them for a comparison?

    What i'm looking for is a bike that can still jump around well on the trail and not totally mute everything.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    5
    Tough call. Can't go wrong with either.

    Your deciding factor is probably going to be heavily influenced by supply ... get the one that's available in your size.

    I'm a bit biased, but there's a reason Sights have flown off the shelf and stock is hard to come by.

    Good luck!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    13,738
    The Spur may be enough for your area if MI.
    Or even if its not.



  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ocnLogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,216
    Quote Originally Posted by habaden View Post
    Hey everyone, I've decided that 160mm+ enduro sleds are just too much for my riding area and with Covid shutting down most bike parks I'm going to downsize and these two bikes are my front runners.

    On paper they are very similar. Has anyone had a chance to ride both of them for a comparison?

    What i'm looking for is a bike that can still jump around well on the trail and not totally mute everything.

    Thanks!
    A 160mm + bike is too much for your area, but the 150mm Sight and Sentinel are just right?

    Not my call, but I'd consider them fairly similar in most respects to most 160mm bikes. Both by suspension travel (only 10mm less front/rear), and other metrics like HTA/reach/wheelbase.

    Sticking to the exact question, I think it would depend on your budget, your height, and what you can find in stock.

    I'm 6'1", and of those two, I'd go Sight.

    Simply because they adjust STA and CS length for each size. And (this is just my opinion) once you're up over ~475-500mm of reach on a size L/XL, you need to start having a different size chainstay to keep things balanced. Also, I'm a cheapskate. The Sight comes in AL framed versions, keeping the costs in check a bit.

    It might be a moot point right now though. As Norco doesn't have any Sights in stock atm, at least not the last time I checked a few weeks ago.

    But, another idea is are you comfortable taking a look at something else? I'd at least take look at a Optic, or that Spur, and see what you think of them.

    They're shorter travel, but still pretty aggressive/progressive geo, and should be a blast to ride on trails that aren't "worthy" of a 160mm+ travel 29'er.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    A 160mm + bike is too much for your area, but the 150mm Sight and Sentinel are just right?

    Not my call, but I'd consider them fairly similar in most respects to most 160mm bikes. Both by suspension travel (only 10mm less front/rear), and other metrics like HTA/reach/wheelbase.

    Sticking to the exact question, I think it would depend on your budget, your height, and what you can find in stock.

    I'm 6'1", and of those two, I'd go Sight.

    Simply because they adjust STA and CS length for each size. And (this is just my opinion) once you're up over ~475-500mm of reach on a size L/XL, you need to start having a different size chainstay to keep things balanced. Also, I'm a cheapskate. The Sight comes in AL framed versions, keeping the costs in check a bit.

    It might be a moot point right now though. As Norco doesn't have any Sights in stock atm, at least not the last time I checked a few weeks ago.

    But, another idea is are you comfortable taking a look at something else? I'd at least take look at a Optic, or that Spur, and see what you think of them.

    They're shorter travel, but still pretty aggressive/progressive geo, and should be a blast to ride on trails that aren't "worthy" of a 160mm+ travel 29'er.
    Ideally a 140mm would be what I want. I’ve looked at shorter travel bikes like the spur but I eventually would like to take it to the bike park when Canada opens up its borders.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ocnLogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,216
    Quote Originally Posted by habaden View Post
    Ideally a 140mm would be what I want. I’ve looked at shorter travel bikes like the spur but I eventually would like to take it to the bike park when Canada opens up its borders.
    Got it.

    Have you considered a GG “the smash”, or really any GG bike?

    They have a modular frame system, which basically means all of their models feature the same main triangle, but they use different seat stays and chain stays to create different travel bikes from it.

    Which means you can buy their “Gnarvana”, and have a 160mm park bike, and with a shock, and seat stay kit swap, you can have a 120mm down country bike.

    “The Smash” is a 145mm bike iirc, and it may be what you’re looking for.

    Otherwise, it might be worth waiting to see what Privateers new 140mm bike will be like.

    Good luck on the search .

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    3,810
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    Got it.

    Have you considered a GG “the smash”, or really any GG bike?

    They have a modular frame system, which basically means all of their models feature the same main triangle, but they use different seat stays and chain stays to create different travel bikes from it.

    Which means you can buy their “Gnarvana”, and have a 160mm park bike, and with a shock, and seat stay kit swap, you can have a 120mm down country bike.

    “The Smash” is a 145mm bike iirc, and it may be what you’re looking for.

    Otherwise, it might be worth waiting to see what Privateers new 140mm bike will be like.

    Good luck on the search .
    Oh yeah, great suggestion on the Smash. I'd bet that bike would really fit what the OP wants extremely well. I'm sure it would do fine at the Canadian bike parks too. And if not, then the Gnarvana kit for the frame.

    Being made in the USA, it might be easier to get one too.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Oh yeah, great suggestion on the Smash. I'd bet that bike would really fit what the OP wants extremely well. I'm sure it would do fine at the Canadian bike parks too. And if not, then the Gnarvana kit for the frame.

    Being made in the USA, it might be easier to get one too.
    Yeah the smash looks good, wish I was closer to them to test ride one! Not a lot of reviews on the carbon model.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    3,810
    Quote Originally Posted by habaden View Post
    Yeah the smash looks good, wish I was closer to them to test ride one! Not a lot of reviews on the carbon model.
    Guerrilla Gravity have a network of brand ambassadors who will likely let you try their bikes on your local trails. I'd try contacting GG to look into this as there's likely someone close to you.

    https://ridegg.com/pages/find-demo

    Sort of odd that there are reviews of the Trail Pistol and Gnarvana, but not the newer Smash. You can find reviews of the old aluminum model though.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,725
    I've ridden a Smash, own a Sight, and haven't been on a Sentinel.

    The Sight replaced a Patrol/Smuggler quiver, and functions well as a burly trail bike. As I understand it, the Sentinel is similar if a bit more playful. Sounds like that might be what you're after. I found the Smash to be much more of a plow bike than the Sight - not as responsive to rider input, but more stable in a straight line. Travel and head angle aren't everything when determining where a bike fits on the continuum of strengths and weaknesses.

Similar Threads

  1. Sentinel V2 or Megatower frame
    By KieranMcK in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-13-2020, 02:05 PM
  2. Need help! 2018 Transition Sentinel vs. 2017 Norco Sight
    By formulatoy12 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-05-2019, 09:47 AM
  3. Best all rounder trail bike?? First time buying a dually
    By -d-a-v-e- in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-11-2018, 11:41 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-05-2016, 08:49 AM
  5. Best all rounder front tyre
    By sundace in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-07-2014, 01:50 PM

Members who have read this thread: 80

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.