Poll: 27.5 or 29er

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    72

    New question here. 2019 YT Jeffsy AL Base.....27.5 or 29er? Help!!

    Hi there, I'm really hoping one of you seasoned veterans can help me make what is probably a simple choice...

    I'm looking at buying a new bike, my first "real" bike I guess...My budget is $2000-$2300....I've done a TON of reading/comparing/reading/comparing etc.. and I've decided I really like the look, features, and build spec of the new 2019 YT Jeffsy AL Base, and it just tickles the top of my budget.

    My question is, do I go 27.5 or 29? I think I understand the merits of both, but I'm just not sure which suits me or my local singletracks best.

    A little about me:

    -Novice for sure, basically no valuable mountain biking skills..but I'm working on it.

    -I'm 6' tall and 47 years young.

    -I won't be doing any bike parks, or crazy downhill jump runs...just basic "blue" trails with rock gardens and other techy stuff (as my skills progress).

    What do you guys/girls think? Will I notice any real difference between the two sizes (considering I'm such a noob)? Is either size going to be easier to build my skills on?

    Thanks in advance for any tip/pointers ets.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Heist30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    25
    I have similar credentials...50+, had an old Trek 26er but did not get hooked until 3 yrs ago when I got a ‘15 Zaskar 9r. So when I started looking at FS bikes I wanted 29 and the Trek Fuel was getting a lot of press so I tested the 29 and 27+ liking them both but were out of my price range. I then found ‘18 Jeffsy 29 AL with new boost fork and 30mm rims ticking all the boxes for much less. So I got the 29 and run 27+ in the winter and whenever to mix it up. So for me, the 29 provides more performance than I’ll ever use and versatility to suit any terrain!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist30 View Post
    I have similar credentials...50+, had an old Trek 26er but did not get hooked until 3 yrs ago when I got a ‘15 Zaskar 9r. So when I started looking at FS bikes I wanted 29 and the Trek Fuel was getting a lot of press so I tested the 29 and 27+ liking them both but were out of my price range. I then found ‘18 Jeffsy 29 AL with new boost fork and 30mm rims ticking all the boxes for much less. So I got the 29 and run 27+ in the winter and whenever to mix it up. So for me, the 29 provides more performance than I’ll ever use and versatility to suit any terrain!
    Sounds like we took a similar path...

    I had an old Specialized Rockhopper 26er, then I grabbed a Trek Marlin 5 29er last summer (did a ton of upgrades)....now I'm on the hunt for a FS bike.

    I like the thought of the 29er with a 27+ spare wheel set...I hadn't thought of that!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Heist30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    25
    Yea, with the Zaskar I fell into the upgrade trap as well, then the chainstay broke. Therefore I had to find a new bike and promised myself components had to meet my current requirements which has worked...the only upgrade to Jeffsy in a year has been a 40mm riser bar. No Regrets!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: escrowdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    86
    You'll LOVE the Jeffsy! I'm 51, just over 6' tall, 210 lbs, running a size Large. I hadn't bought a new bike in probably 10 years. I'm a dirt bike guy, woods/adventure riding, KTM two strokes and honestly felt pedaling sucked. The bikes I had, my last one was an Iron Horse Yakuza, dirt bike guy sees big suspension and buys wrong bike essentially, heavy, bobbing, aweful, couldn't climb shit. I only rode bikes to hit some of our local singletrack with a few other hack dirt bike buddys. Anyway, my buddy is blowing me up the last year with pics of all these newer trails he's been hitting. Dirt bike trails have all but been completely ruined by 4 wheelers, so the dirt bikes sit. I decided to buy another mtn bike. I went and sat on a few bike, Trek Stache, Fuel, etc. Coming from 26" bikes the 29 felt really weird. I never demo'd one, just messed around on stock bikes. All the bikes I sat on had what I would call over the bars, forward, XC geometry and bar height, none of them felt comfortable. I knew I wanted something more slack so I felt comfortable descending. Long story short, I watched a lot of vids about hardtail vs fs, 27 vs 29, and figured a 27.5 would be an easier transition vs going straight to a 29. So that was my thought process. My buddy now rides a 29 Gorilla Gravity Smash and another rides a Stache 7. I would say those guys definitely roll better when the trail gets flat. Other than that I really like the agility of the 27. I have had my bike since Sept '18. First mods I did...Renthal 40mm riser bars, grips, seat. The bars were a HUGE difference maker, and cut down to 740mm. The stock config I felt like I was going over the bars constantly. Mine shipped with an e13 dropper 150mm and it was too tall, just no way to make it work, it should have shipped with a 125. I ended up buying a bikeyoke 125mm dropper. So hopefully the new dropper the Jeffsy comes with will work for you. Anyway, the bike climbs anything I've thrown at it, the only limiting factor is ME. I'm now toying with suspension upgrades, tires, etc. I would LOVE to demo a 29 now that I've been back riding and know what I like and don't like.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by escrowdog View Post
    You'll LOVE the Jeffsy! I'm 51, just over 6' tall, 210 lbs, running a size Large. I hadn't bought a new bike in probably 10 years. I'm a dirt bike guy, woods/adventure riding, KTM two strokes and honestly felt pedaling sucked. The bikes I had, my last one was an Iron Horse Yakuza, dirt bike guy sees big suspension and buys wrong bike essentially, heavy, bobbing, aweful, couldn't climb shit. I only rode bikes to hit some of our local singletrack with a few other hack dirt bike buddys. Anyway, my buddy is blowing me up the last year with pics of all these newer trails he's been hitting. Dirt bike trails have all but been completely ruined by 4 wheelers, so the dirt bikes sit. I decided to buy another mtn bike. I went and sat on a few bike, Trek Stache, Fuel, etc. Coming from 26" bikes the 29 felt really weird. I never demo'd one, just messed around on stock bikes. All the bikes I sat on had what I would call over the bars, forward, XC geometry and bar height, none of them felt comfortable. I knew I wanted something more slack so I felt comfortable descending. Long story short, I watched a lot of vids about hardtail vs fs, 27 vs 29, and figured a 27.5 would be an easier transition vs going straight to a 29. So that was my thought process. My buddy now rides a 29 Gorilla Gravity Smash and another rides a Stache 7. I would say those guys definitely roll better when the trail gets flat. Other than that I really like the agility of the 27. I have had my bike since Sept '18. First mods I did...Renthal 40mm riser bars, grips, seat. The bars were a HUGE difference maker, and cut down to 740mm. The stock config I felt like I was going over the bars constantly. Mine shipped with an e13 dropper 150mm and it was too tall, just no way to make it work, it should have shipped with a 125. I ended up buying a bikeyoke 125mm dropper. So hopefully the new dropper the Jeffsy comes with will work for you. Anyway, the bike climbs anything I've thrown at it, the only limiting factor is ME. I'm now toying with suspension upgrades, tires, etc. I would LOVE to demo a 29 now that I've been back riding and know what I like and don't like.
    Thanks for all the insight!

    My current bike is the Trek Marlin 5, it's rolling on 29's so I'm pretty comfortable on those, my biggest hurdle will definitely be my existing mountain biking skills (or lack thereof).

    I'm glad to hear that it climbs good, that seems to be an issue with some of the other bikes I've been researching.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: escrowdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by BassistBiker View Post
    Thanks for all the insight!

    My current bike is the Trek Marlin 5, it's rolling on 29's so I'm pretty comfortable on those, my biggest hurdle will definitely be my existing mountain biking skills (or lack thereof).

    I'm glad to hear that it climbs good, that seems to be an issue with some of the other bikes I've been researching.
    Okay cool, I was thinking you were coming from a 26. I'd say get the 29 and as mentioned you can always add some 27.5+ rims and tires for a different feel. Again, I really have nothing else to base it on since I always had crappy bikes. But I was pretty blown away at some of the stuff I've got up and over, sometimes with much less effort than what I thought. There is no feeling of the suspension sucking your power. And as tight as some of the singletrack is we ride I'm honestly not sure I would be going much faster on my dirt bike. It's so much more rigid in the forks and wheels than anything else I've had. No deflection I can detect when bashing rocks. The 2019 blue/white color is NICE!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    206
    I’d go for 29” wheels if I were you. I had a 29er for a handful of years. I really liked the way it smoothed the trail and it felt like the wheels got up and over obstacles easier, especially while climbing. However, I replaced it with a 27.5” wheel bike, and I like the way those wheels handle as well. I doubt I’d be able to tell the difference between the two wheel sizes on the same frame without riding them back-to-back.

    Edit: I have been lusting after 29ers lately. This is likely due to the buzz and lots of exciting new models coming out. Specifically, I’ve been dreaming of the Kona Process 153 29er. My local shop has a few, and they look so sweet!
    Last edited by rockhammer; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:09 AM. Reason: Additional info

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    392
    I have a (2017) Jeffsy 29 and can't think of why I'd go with 27.5, it's great.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,384
    29 version.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,789
    Okay, I voted 27.5 because I like it a lot.

    However, the current 29ers seem to ride so well, that's what I'd actually recommend.

    Do I get a beer for my recommendation?
    Last edited by Curveball; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:38 AM.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    28
    I'd go for the 29r

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ruppguts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    564
    No reason not to go 29.
    Binary • Transition Bikes • Demon Dirt •

Similar Threads

  1. New 2019 Jeffsy 29"
    By ironpeddler in forum YT
    Replies: 162
    Last Post: 5 Days Ago, 06:33 PM
  2. Help! 2019 Jeffsy AL vs. Commencal META AM
    By jjgunka in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2019, 06:10 PM
  3. 2019 YT Jeffsy Wish List
    By Gman086 in forum YT
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-11-2019, 11:08 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-28-2018, 07:47 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-23-2018, 10:11 AM

Members who have read this thread: 101

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.