2019 Canyon Spectral AL 6.0 vs 2019 YT Capra 29 AL Comp - New bike decisions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

New question here. 2019 Canyon Spectral AL 6.0 vs 2019 YT Capra 29 AL Comp - New bike decisions

Help! I am stuck between two bikes: the 2019 Canyon Spectral AL 6.0 ($2,899) or the 2019 YT Capra 29 AL Comp ($3,199).

Here’s a quick comparison of key specs (Spectral vs Capra):

• Wheel size: 27.5” vs 29” (there is a 27.5” Capra too, but if I am getting the Capra it will be 29”)
    • Travel (front/rear): 160/150mm vs 160/160mm
    • Fork: Fox 36 Rhythm fork (GRIP) vs Fox 36 Performance Elite (GRIP2)
    • Shock: Fox Performance Float DPX2 EVOL vs Fox Performance Float X2
    • Brakes: SRAM Guide R vs SRAM Code RS
    • Groupset: SRAM GX Eagle vs Shimano XT and e*Thirteen
    • Head Angle: 66 vs 65.5
    • Seat Angle: 74.5 vs 76
    • BB Drop: 22 vs 28
    • Weight: 14.3kg vs 14.5kg

My rides are relatively short. Typically 10 to 12 miles, under 90 minutes, and usually around 1,200 ft of elevation gain (some technical, some fire roads), with technical descents. I am only one season into mountain biking but I love the thrill of going down technical descents.

For point of reference my current (first) bike is a 120/120mm bike with a Recon fork and Monarch rear shock, but I definitely feel I am pushing this bike to its limits in rock gardens and such.

Questions:
    1. How much better would the Spectral climb than the Capra?
    2. Spectral has a bottle cage mount, Capra doesn’t. Would it be a stupid idea for any reason to use one of those strap on bottle cages on the top tube of the Capra to hold a water bottle?
    3. I like to go moderately fast, but not stupid fast. What bike would be more fun to ride in general? Would I have to really fast to have fun on the Capra?
    4. Any other thoughts or opinions on these two bikes?

THANK YOU!
    Last edited by mastershredder; 02-16-2019 at 10:49 AM.

mtbr member
    If it were me, I would be comparing the Spectral to YT's Jeffsy, not Capra. When comparing the Capra to Canyon's lineup, I think it's usually the Canyon Strive.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Tough comparison and too many differences but those Guide R's have to go and I think the GX is much better than the Shimano/13 setup. That seat angle of 74.5 is too slack also.

Nope, I didn't help you much at all did I.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Tough comparison and too many differences but those Guide R's have to go and I think the GX is much better than the Shimano/13 setup. That seat angle of 74.5 is too slack also.

Nope, I didn't help you much at all did I.

Ha! Yeah they are fundamentally two different bikes and I understand their characteristics on paper. Since I have not ridden either type of bike before (my current is a 120mm trail bike), it's hard to translate that into what I prefer on the trail as my riding improves. Time to demo!

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    If it were me, I would be comparing the Spectral to YT's Jeffsy, not Capra. When comparing the Capra to Canyon's lineup, I think it's usually the Canyon Strive.
    Yeah I forgot to call out that I was aware the Jeffsy would be the direct comparison to the Spectral (and the Strive to the Capra), but since the Spectral's travel is 160/150mm it is close enough to the Capra's 160/160mm for me to compare. The Jeffsy is 140/140mm. The Spectral's HA is in between the Capra and the Jeffsy's. Also the Jeffsy has a base AL model which is by far the cheapest but I want better components than that, so the next level up is CF and is $3500. My max budget is $3000 but I was willing to stretch to $3200 for the Capra if I really thought I'd like it better than the Spectral, but the $3500 for the Jeffsy is more than I budgeted to spend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mastershredder View Post
    Yeah I forgot to call out that I was aware the Jeffsy would be the direct comparison to the Spectral (and the Strive to the Capra), but since the Spectral's travel is 160/150mm it is close enough to the Capra's 160/160mm for me to compare. The Jeffsy is 140/140mm. The Spectral's HA is in between the Capra and the Jeffsy's. Also the Jeffsy has a base AL model which is by far the cheapest but I want better components than that, so the next level up is CF and is $3500. My max budget is $3000 but I was willing to stretch to $3200 for the Capra if I really thought I'd like it better than the Spectral, but the $3500 for the Jeffsy is more than I budgeted to spend.
    While considering bikes for my last purchase, the Jeffsey and Spectral were on my short list (among others). I also had a chance to spend a few unplanned minutes on a Capra. Purely from a pedaling perspective, the Capra was day and night different than the Jeffsey. I would not put the Capra in the 'good climber' category when comparing it to either the Jeffsey and Spectral. Keep in mind, this is just a comparison of pedaling from a take off, and short steep climbs, nothing else. The Capra is a great bike. But if quick takeoffs or steep techy climbs are important, it's worth thinking about.

BTW, I went with a Whyte over the Jeffsey and Spectral. If you haven't already, you may take a look. Great geometry. Their 130 trail is a great all around ride, and feels more like a 150 than a 130/140. Also consumer direct, so a little more bang for your buck$. For the U.S., they have 130/140mm trail, 150mm trail, and 170mm enduro for 2019. Only problem is, they're popular and sell fast. It looks like availability for 2019 pre-orders (arriving in March) for the 150 is nearly depleted already.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    While considering bikes for my last purchase, the Jeffsey and Spectral were on my short list (among others). I also had a chance to spend a few unplanned minutes on a Capra. Purely from a pedaling perspective, the Capra was day and night different than the Jeffsey. I would not put the Capra in the 'good climber' category when comparing it to either the Jeffsey and Spectral. Keep in mind, this is just a comparison of pedaling from a take off, and short steep climbs, nothing else. The Capra is a great bike. But if quick takeoffs or steep techy climbs are important, it's worth thinking about.

BTW, I went with a Whyte over the Jeffsey and Spectral. If you haven't already, you may take a look. Great geometry. Their 130 trail is a great all around ride, and feels more like a 150 than a 130/140. Also consumer direct, so a little more bang for your buck$. For the U.S., they have 130/140mm trail, 150mm trail, and 170mm enduro for 2019. Only problem is, they're popular and sell fast. It looks like availability for 2019 pre-orders (arriving in March) for the 150 is nearly depleted already.
    Thanks for the input on the Capra, yeah it's probably too much bike for what I am looking for. I will definitely check on Whyte!

mtbr member
    I forgot to mention, Whyte is distributed in the U.S. through an actual LBS in northern California. Slitrock Tap and Wheel located in Fairfax, a couple doors down from the Marin Museum of Bicycling. If you're in that area, they may have some demos to try out.

https://splitrocktapandwheel.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I forgot to mention, Whyte is distributed in the U.S. through an actual LBS in northern California. Slitrock Tap and Wheel located in Fairfax, a couple doors down from the Marin Museum of Bicycling. If you're in that area, they may have some demos to try out.

https://splitrocktapandwheel.com/
    I am in SoCal, but good to know!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    No input on the Canyon. I did own a carbon Capra 29. It’s a beast when pointed downhill. It’s also a beast to pedal.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.