2018 Rock Shox Revelation 29 Conversion to Pike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2018 Rock Shox Revelation 29 Conversion to Pike

Does anyone know if it is possible to convert a 2018 Revelation to a Pike by changing the internal parts? The lower legs are the same and I was hoping that adding the Pike damper is possible?
    Keeping it Real Since 1971!!

mbtr member
    If you're gonna get a new damper, don't waste your time with a charger. Spend the extra bit to get an avalanche or equivalent.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Might want to see if you have the debonair air cartridge in there, if not it's an excellent upgrade & cheap at around $30-$40.

Honestly I like my 2015 pike RC just fine, as long as I keep it freshly serviced it's good to go now that I have the debonair air cart.

If you haven't done a lowers service & seal grease in a while, experts say you'll get more improvement from a lowers service over upgraded damper in terms of feel. Of course a damper upgrade & a service would be ideal.

If you put your serial # in the link below it should show you an upgrades list. For both cart & air spring. You just want to pay attention to your wheel size & travel.

https://trailhead.rockshox.com/en/search/
    83 Ritchey Everest
    88 Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD
    2015 Kona Process 153

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    Might want to see if you have the debonair air cartridge in there, if not it's an excellent upgrade & cheap at around $30-$40.

Honestly I like my 2015 pike RC just fine, as long as I keep it freshly serviced it's good to go now that I have the debonair air cart.

If you haven't done a lowers service & seal grease in a while, experts say you'll get more improvement from a lowers service over upgraded damper in terms of feel. Of course a damper upgrade & a service would be ideal.

If you put your serial # in the link below it should show you an upgrades list. For both cart & air spring. You just want to pay attention to your wheel size & travel.

https://trailhead.rockshox.com/en/search/
    At one point i would have agreed with you. Now i realize that air spring tweaking can't fix a fundamentally mediocre damper. Your RC has a brutally stiff HSC so the LSC can work as a lockout in the parking lot. My rct3 was the same. It's shit on the trail. Mush and too stiff simultaneously. Sram changes their marketing so fast it's impossible to keep up. They stay ahead of criticism that way.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    So what's the best damper available now?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    At one point i would have agreed with you. Now i realize that air spring tweaking can't fix a fundamentally mediocre damper. Your RC has a brutally stiff HSC so the LSC can work as a lockout in the parking lot. My rct3 was the same. It's shit on the trail. Mush and too stiff simultaneously. Sram changes their marketing so fast it's impossible to keep up. They stay ahead of criticism that way.
    Trust me, no issues with my damper, '15 RC, not rct3. I'll run it open to 3 clicks in. I know I've heard others having issues, but I know my suspension. I've been riding front suspension for 25 years. I've ridden fox 36's with fit, grip & AC3 kits on my riding partners bikes. They feel nice, I'm faster still on the gnarly stuff.

Before the debonair air cart I could have the fork supple but bottomed out all the time, or with more air, it would kill small bump sensitivity. Did add 2 volume spacers & that was OK, but lacked midstroke support and I used all the travel very often.

I installed the debonair air cart, had to remove 1 token as I couldn't achieve full travel. And it's great, Supple, great mid stroke & takes a decent high speed stepdown like a champ. I was very surprised by the results, VERY. Don't get me wrong, it's still behind my old '14 marz RC3 evo2 ti, but most forks are IMHO. Can't beat to coil and oil bath for suppleness & support if you're in the right range for the stock spring.

Now I'm not saying the damper is great, it's simple but works. Lets put it this way, I wouldn't go out of my way to change it. I can keep up with all my Expert enduro racer buddies here in the PNW.

If the OP doesn't have a debonair air cart, it's stilly to overlook a $35 air cartridge when it's great upgrade on it's own & even more so when paired with a decent damper. Since you obviously dislike the RC3t, a custom damper would be next on the list like an Avalanche but that's $450...and if you do that before an air cart you're screwing yourself, since the debonair air shaft changes the forks characteristics drastically & you'll need 15 psi more because of the larger negative chamber.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If I were to ever go to a custom damper I'd shoot for Avalanche. Although I don't have any experience with his cartridges I have purchased a few rear shocks from him in the past. He's a talker for sure, and he'll tell you what he thinks regardless of how that will make you feel. But the advise you get is good and from what I've read his dampers are pretty awesome.

The 2019 debonair air shaft is also getting great reviews.... As I've mentioned a few times, this will be the last I promise.

That being said, what damper do you have in there now, what are you trying to achieve? And when was the last time the fork was serviced?

I like Rockshox, but have always been a Marzocchi guy. Rockshox forks require lower leg services often at very least once a season. And they always feel better after, which means they get progressively worse in between.

mtbr member
    I had the 2.1 RCT3 dual position damper installed. Will ride it later today to test and see if I notice in ride quality.