mtbr member
    Nov 2007

2018 Nomad vs Bronson vs SB6 vs Capra

Mostly riding on Long Island, NY (flat!) Iíve had a 2016 Santa Cruz 5010CC for the past couple of years. Coming from a BMX and DH background, the 5010 has been awesome. Super fun bike.

Iíve ridden my 5010 at the Kingdom trails as well as some stuff in Utah and Colorado. Most of which was decently smooth trail which the bike does great on. Venturing off of Long Island and hitting chunkier/rowdier Upstate NY, NJ and CT trails the 5010 has finally gotten a little overwhelmed. It just doesnít feel like Ďenoughí on the rowdier/heavier sections. It almost feels like I would destroy this bike if I continued to ride the rowdier stuff on it.

I also have a KB Tambo guided trip scheduled for the end of April near Machu Pichu Peru where a 150mm+ bike is recommended.

With this trip coming, hitting rowdier trails nearby, possibly a handful of days at bike parks, Iím looking at adding a bigger all mountain/enduro bike to go along with my 5010.

Keeping my 5010 and keeping price out of the equation these are some of the bikes Iím looking at. Thoughts???

SC Nomad V4
    Proís:
    Burly!
    Apparently better at everything than the last Nomad
    SC Lifetime warranty.
    Conís:
    This may be TOO BIG
    Could be amazing at the bike park, but too much for rowdier trails

Yeti SB6
    Proís:
    This seems to be a good middle ground between the Nomad and Bronson. My thoughts are that itís Bronson travel but a bit more stable like the Nomad
    Conís:
    Yeti warranty, 5 years?
    Completely different platform than Iím used to, if that even matters?

SC Bronson
    Proís:
    SC Lifetime Warranty
    Should ride like a bigger version of my 5010?
    Conís:
    May not be a enough for bike parks or very rowdy trails
    It may be hard to pick when to ride this or my 5010

YT Capra
    Proís:
    God damn does this bike look good!
    Should be burly enough for the bigger stuff, but still fine on not so crazy trails?
    Conís:
    YT customer support/warranty
    Suspension platform may not be anywhere near as good as SC or Yeti?
    I most likely will not be able to get one before my trip to Peru, which is a big deterrent for me on this one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Bike parks? Peru? Nomad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pedromayall View Post
    Bike parks? Peru? Nomad.
    ha, normally I would agree, but those are only a small percentage of where I would ride this second bike. Peru is 1 week long trip and bike park is possibly a handful of days a year.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Of the four, Iíve owned the Nomad and Bronson.

Both great bikes. In your stated situation, Iíd buy the N4. Itís a brawler, but shockingly capable as an everyday bike.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Of the four, Iíve owned the Nomad and Bronson.

Both great bikes. In your stated situation, Iíd buy the N4. Itís a brawler, but shockingly capable as an everyday bike.

Thanks, why do you say the N4 over the latest Bronson?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hightower LT is more versatile than the N4, should also be on your radar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    Hightower LT is more versatile than the N4, should also be on your radar.
    Iím really not interested in 29erís at all

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Check out MTB YumYum on YouTube. He does bike comparisons of most of the top trail and Enduro bikes. He has done a comparison of the new Nomad against the older Nomad, the new Bronson which is the same as the old Bronson but with Fox suspension instead of Rockshox. Against the SB6.
    The Nomad is a killer bike and with the new geometry and suspension pedals quite well for such a big bike. Like YumYum says in his review for the Nomad, if you only have one bike the Nomad might just be too much bike unless your always at the bike park. But if you can or want to have a shorter travel bike along with the a big Enduro bike, the Nomad is one of the best choices in the category.
    I too was just recently looking at buying a long travel Enduro bike to go along with my XC/Trail bike and just yesterday put in an order for a new Nomad.
    It was between the Nomad, Capra, Tracer, Guerilla Gravity Megatrail, or Jeffsy. The Tracer looks like a great bike and can be had at a lot of good price points. The Capra looks awesome and the price is superb but who knows when you could get your hands on one. The Jeffsy could work for you but might still be undergunned at the bike parks.
    Now the Guerilla Gravity Megatrail might be something you could look at as well. It is really two bikes, three bikes, in one with the adjustable geometry and different shock. With a shorter stroke shock in the Shred Dog variation you get 135/145 rear travel. And with the longer stroke shock that the Megatrail comes with you get 155/165 of rear travel. Plus you can fit 29er wheels on it as well.
    Ultimately I went with the Nomad because of the reputation, resale and most important to me, lifetime warranty.