mtbr member
    Feb 2018

2017 Diamondback Mission Pro vs 2018 Trek Remedy 8

Hello Everyone,
    I am really interested in buying a new bike! I have been pushing my current bike (2015 Trek X-Caliber 6) well beyond its limits. I've been pushing my hard tail/spring fork and its been a blast. Since i ride in the Phoenix, AZ area i have been breaking components and having issues during rides. I don't fault the bike whatsoever since i am utilizing it in ways it was not designed for. I take every opportunity to go airborne and don't shy away from any technical drop/descent. I originally purchased the X-Caliber since i was not sure if i would like mountain biking. After the first ride and a big learning curve, i am hooked!

I dont have unlimited funds and i am looking for a good mountain bike that i can utilize for a long time. I have been looking at Trail bikes and All mountain bikes mainly, after a lot of research i was set on a Trek Remedy 8. I hear it climbs well and descends even better. I have been looking far and wide and the best i can do price wise including taxes is $3567.

This a few days ago, i noticed that the 2017 Diamondback Mission Pro is on sale for $3249 Delivered. I have been researching it like a mad man but i cant find much. I love how it has top end components but i am weary of the 5 year frame 1 year swing-rm warranty that Diamondback offers. Opposed to Treks's Lifetime Frame and 5 Year swing-arm warranty.

I ride everything that i am able too ranging from xc single tracks to the gnarliest trails that i dare attempt. I ride mainly in the Phoenix area and Sedona.

Are these bikes comparable?? any issues with Diamondback branded bikes? what would you recommend?

I appreciate your expertise in the subject.Thank you!

Short-Change-Hero
    Diamondback still has a pretty marked reputation simply because you can purchase some of their bikes at big box stores or Walmart. Look up Seth's Bike Hacks on YouTube as he is somewhat of a Diamondback brand ambassador and is sponsored by them but gives good reviews of their stuff.

With that said, the Mission series has been around for a few years and really hasn't had much of a geo update or anything so it really wont ride as nice as a newer, more updated bike. The DB Release has been getting good reviews (https://www.diamondback.com/mountain...ease-4c-carbon) and at the prices you are talking you could get one of their lower level Carbon releases.

Best thing you can do for yourself is get out and demo a few bikes locally and then make a decision from there. With many Trek/Specialized shops if you walk in with CASH you can give yourself some negotiating room if you talk to the shop manager (only the manager). But that will vary by shop. These days, you wont really be able to go wrong with anything you pick up, it really is gonna depend on you and what you like.

mtbr member
    My cousin bought a 2017 Mission Pro last fall. It's a sick bike; completely modern, well-outfitted, and well-made. We only had a few chances to put it through its paces before winter began, but suffice it to say we are not slow riders and we seek out the gnarliest trails we can find and bomb them. He is a nationally ranked mx enduro racer on the side. Knows how to ride a bicycle too. This bike hasn't disappointed.

I think it would be an awesome choice for South Mountain and other Phoenix riding.

mtbr member
    I really liked the Trek Remedy 8 I rode. I probably would have bought it if I wasn't a bit too tall for the 21.5" frame. The geo was agressive but not too much for slower singletrack. It pedaled well and still felt active in pedal mode. I wasn't a huge fan of the Bontrager tires but that's pretty minor.

mtbr member
    With Trek, you have your LBS as part of the equation, which can be a good resource should issues arise.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thank you all for the helpful input. After looking at all the replies I decided to look a look at a few of Seths Bike hack videos. Diamondbacks do seem to be very well built and come in at a great price. I started looking at the 2017 Diamondback Release 3 that Seth has put through its paces. If you use the Take10 coupon on diamondbacks website you can bring it down to 2250 delivered which only makes my search for a new bike more difficult.

Am I crazy for still wanting the Trek Remedy 8? The comment Lone Rager makes me think that Id rather be safe than sorry, should something go wrong. My local Trek dealer is great and only 10 minutes away.

I appreciate the time all of you took to help me. I guess I will speak with the Wife and see what she thinks. Spending anything over 1K on a bike feels foreign and I had to ask for a second opinion from the wealth of knowledge you all have to offer. I will get back to you guys with pictures of the bike I decide to purchase, once I receive it of course. No one in the Phoenix area has either so I will have to order. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Look at the YT Jeffsy or Capra. They have modern geo and competitive build kits starting at $2k.

Short-Change-Hero
    No definitely not crazy with looking at stuff like that. Bikes will always have issues and whatnot and being able to have a shop take care of them under warranty is always nice. However, that does not mean that a local shop wont work with you on the DB purchase or someone like VeloFix that is a licensed mobile shop.

Really it all comes down to the fact that it is your money and you should spend how you feel comfortable. I highly doubt that you will "dislike" either bike and DB has really been producing some nice bikes as of late.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Buy a bike yet? Hope I am not too late to put in my two cents... I agree with GregNash that you will most likely not dislike either of the new bikes. But I know that I am HAPPY with mine.

I ride in NW of Washington state. I needed one bike to do it all. I was in the exact same position exactly one year ago trying to decide on whether to buy a DB Mission 2, Release 3 or Trek Remedy 8 (2017). I had not ridden the Mission or Remedy. But I had ridden a Release 3 the previous summer. So I knew that it would be fun and (mostly) capable. But it lacked a little in the rear suspension travel. And I just could not get over the untidy cable routing of the Release and other DB bikes. But the price point is great for all the nice components that they offer. I did a lot more homework and narrowed down the pros and cons of each bike. Also looked at what the frame geometry had to offer for my riding style. Ultimately I purchased the 2017 REMEDY 8 on SALE at my local (one hour away) Trek Bike store. I got to test ride it first and then I really knew it was the right one for me!!! All the bikes would have been "good". But the all-around package that the Remedy offers is unbeatable IMO. The bike geometry is Awesome and the components are great. The one bike that does it all! It climbs great, fast and confident on the downhill, rails the berms, and its super playful and easy to get into the air. It has a great component spec, adequate amount of suspension travel to handle the riding that I do (mostly). One problem I had recently that was handled very quickly was that I had the lower shock mount bolt snap. Not sure exactly what other factors went into the bolt snapping. But the drop I hit was really BIG. Maybe the bolt had loosened some or the shock pressure was too low. But the next day, I took it to the shop where I bought it. All the work and parts were warrantied and I had my bike back in less than a week. That felt really good to not stress about how to get it fixed.

The specs on the 2018 Remedy 8 are so good that I might just have to sell my 2017 and go get the new Remedy 8! I would get more travel, more gears, better brakes and less weight!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    No, I have not bought a bike yet. I have ruled out the Mission Pro and now im between the DB Release 3 and the Trek Remedy 8. I have to say that i am leaning more and more to the Trek.

I appreciate the insight since you have ridden both models and lucky enough, you were in my shoes last year. I see extraordinary value in the DB models but things such as external cables cause me some discomfort as well. I know external cable routing is not a major issue but it doesn't look "good" per say. But then again, i will be paying significantly more for the "look". I am more concerned with buying the Bike that will grow with me for a long time and a bike that will take the beatings i plan on giving it.

At this point I am fairly confident that i will purchase the Remedy. I hope i don't regret the purchase! And i hope to have as much fun as i can on it for a long time. I must mention that DB bikes have some great offerings at GREAT prices but the 5yr frame 1 yr rear swing-arm scares me off. If they would match the warranty Trek has i could see myself purchasing the DB. Then again, how good are warranties? I've read horror stories about most major manufacturers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    You are gonna love it, not regret it!!! Neither money or bikes grow on trees. So I understand the careful thought process. I never thought that I would pay $3000+ for a bike. My previous bike was 2015 Ghost Kato FS that had a $1699 price point. I loved it at first and it opened up my eyes to many new lines and new abilities. Then I added a Fox 34 fork, a KS dropper post, clutch derailleur, and converted to a race face NW 30T for 1X10 gearing. Then I outrode the frame and wheel set suggested capabilities soon after. I knew that I needed a more capable and responsive set up. So I decided how much money I was willing to spend and I did my homework just as you are doing now. The first time I took my new Remedy 8 down the lines that used to make me nervous, I knew it was worth every penny I spent!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I took the plunge and decided to purchase the 2018 Trek Remedy 8. I just took delivery of it after several days of waiting, and it is awesome! I was able to slap some RaceFace Chester pedals and took it for a quick spin around the block. This thing is so nice compared to my hardtail, i know its not a fair comparison but man this thing is much nicer than i expected. I definitely need to get used to the slacked out geometry and i have to get some saddle time to learn how to handle the bike appropriately. I look forward to hitting the trails this weekend to see how it fares. Thank you all for helping me with my bike purchasing en devour, I am definitely satisfied with my initial impressions.
    Last edited by Rgarcia145; 03-06-2018 at 03:31 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Awesome!!! Enjoy it! Do you have a torque wrench? If not, pick one up... Keep an eye on the frame linkage torque. Especially keep an eye on the torque of the lower shock mount bolt. Mine loosened up before I was able to take it in for my "new bike tune-up". Maybe it did not have Loctite on it when initially assembled? Or I simply ignored it for way too long? Either way I neglected to check it for several months. Then it fully unthreaded on me during a ride. Now I verify the proper torque after every few rides. You are going to need it for the Mino link anyway if you ever flip it.

mtbr member
    Congrats on a great bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thank you!

After an excruciating 3 day wait, i was able to go out and test out the Remedy Saturday morning. I went for a short 5 Mile run down my local trail (FINS) located in Goodyear, AZ. i have been there many times and i was always hesitant to hit some of the jumps with speed. Not with the Remedy! I was able to hit the trails hard and despite making mistakes, the bike was able to keep me alive. I am definitely happy and impressed how well the bike climbs. I'm sure i would have been happy with the Diamondback as well but like JPmtb75 said, I dont regret spending the money one bit.

I have quite the assortment of tools (Auto Mechanic) so i will make sure to keep an eye out for loose bolts. I did notice that i must adjust my suspension to my liking so a suspension pump is on order. I have to adjust my rebound, i felt like the suspension took a bit long to recover from jumps. This is my first suspension bike so i have a large learning curve to overcome until i can properly tune my suspension.

I cant wait to take it out again! until then, my hardtail is now on daily bike workout duty during the week. I'm sure i will still take it out from time to time to challenge my self.

Here is a picture of the new bike at the top of my favorite run at FINS.
    2017 Diamondback Mission Pro vs 2018 Trek Remedy 8-2018-remedy-8.jpg
    Last edited by Rgarcia145; 03-06-2018 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Spelling/ Grammar

mtbr member
    That looks like the right bike for that terrain.

Congratulations!
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986