2010 StumpJumper headset replacement - why is it so tight?!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. 2010 StumpJumper headset replacement - why is it so tight?!

Hey guys, hoping someone can help me out with an issue that has been plaguing me for days. I replaced my headset but when I go to tighten it up things go a little wonky.

If you refer to the pic you can see all my spacers and the new headset cap and bolt. The "sleeve" that is on there is required for the stem to make a snug fit around so I have to leave it but the issue is if I tighten it enough that there's no play in the headset when I hold the front brake and push then the steering is too tight and doesn't turn freely.

Of course if its too lose there's play but also all the spacers and the headset bolt spin. How do I fix this? I've watched video upon video on this but nothing seems to apply to me.

Some things to note:
    • I've re-used the existing spacers as they are all aluminum (or steel) vs the plastic garbage that came with the Ritchey headset

• I had to replace the starnut with the one from the replacement headset - the one in the steerer was broken

• I've had to re-use the top cone as the Ritchey one did not have sufficient space (it was too flat) to accommodate the slight protrusion of the headset bearing above the frame and the thin metal shim that goes on top of the compression ring

• I've also misplaced the original Specialized top cap and bolt so I'm not 100% sure that this Richey one is the same diameter but it seems to fit well enough

2010 StumpJumper headset replacement - why is it so tight?!-20200519_224010_resized.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 StumpJumper headset replacement - why is it so tight?!-20200519_201753.jpg