2008 cannondale team rush- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2020

2008 cannondale team rush

Hey guys.

Im new to mountain biking and just got a cannondale team rush the bike came with deore lx shifters and seemed to be missing the downshift paddle on both shifters, can I buy the components for these shifters seperately?

I believe it to be a 9 speed cassette 11-34t who makes a solid cassette for these? I noticed theirs a ton of model options for these.

thanks guys

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by nick12345 View Post
    Hey guys.

Im new to mountain biking and just got a cannondale team rush the bike came with deore lx shifters and seemed to be missing the downshift paddle on both shifters, can I buy the components for these shifters seperately?

I believe it to be a 9 speed cassette 11-34t who makes a solid cassette for these? I noticed theirs a ton of model options for these.

thanks guys
    I would not recommend picking up a used bike with no bike knowledge, for the exact reasons you are having. If you know a bit about mountain bikes, components and working on the various parts, then a used bike can be a decent buy. If you have no knowledge of these things, it's like buying a BMW M5 with 70K miles on the clock. At the very least, you should be having a bike shop get into working order, as them if you can watch and learn, buy some stuff to support the shop, etc.

First of all, if you can't identify the exact parts (the model name), you need to take pictures that can identify them. There have been dozens and dozens of LX shifters over the years...some that actually lack paddles due to being dual-control models. I don't know of anyone selling 12 year old LX shifter paddles nor how they could be "missing", it doesn't really make sense, but pictures would clarify.

What do you mean a "solid" cassette? The only solid cassettes, and they aren't 100% solid, but about 95% due to the pinned top end gear, are the ones CNCed from solid blocks of steel, like the 11 and 12 speed SRAM X-dome cassettes. These are usually 200 bucks (if you find a deal) and up. Other cassettes, all of those with less speeds, are variations on loose cassette gears, sometimes grouping a few of the gears onto a common carrier or running pins through the entire gear set. Changing the number of gears would require the new cassette, new chain, derailleur, shifters and front ring, at a minimum. Otherwise, the only 9 speed cassettes you'll find are "not solid", but the more expensive the cassette (more higher end) the better the quality and the more low end (easier) gears are grouped onto a common carrier. Unfortunately the high end (harder) gears are always loose on these kinds of cassettes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I got it figured out already anyway just wanted to see if anybody else could give me any options or advice on what they have experienced. Maybe someone could input screw the lx shifters take a look at so and so brand and model.I certainly dont need life advice given to me after a paragraph written without knowing me . Im sorry I came off very ignorant to you Jayem. I wasnt asking about what your advice was on the idea of me buying a mtb. I apologize for being vague and you fully misunderstood what I was asking which was my fault that my communication was lacking. Im not looking to regear I was just wondering what a decent type of rear cassette was with stock gearing. Again I confused you with my communication sorry about that.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Any old cassette will do. Id be looking at shimano LX for continuity, dependability, and price.

If the shifters are goners, consider XT. It feels better and youll notice (unlike the cassette) so its worth the price of admission. Good luck!