2007 Specialized Enduro SL, what do I really have- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

2007 Specialized Enduro SL, what do I really have

full disclosure, totally green on fs bikes. picked this up last year to get back into riding. kids prefer mtn biking over dirtbike riding. now the kids seemed to be more engaged and i've been browsing for a new ride. before dropping a bunch a dough, what do i really have? obviously tech has advanced in the last 13 years.

the po converted to 1x11, it still has the e150 fork and afr shock. the po had the suspension serviced before i bought it. i bought it for $600. not knowing any difference, it seems to climb and descend pretty well.

budget would probably be about $2000 so it would a used bike, which is hard to find at that price. figure i could probably sell this for the $600 i paid.

i guess the question is, does $1400 bucks get me something totally superior? should i be satisfied with the frame and update fork and shock?

thanks for any insight.

mtbr member
    Put a different fork on it (beware you might need a new hub, I can't remember if that fork had a proprietary one or not), wide bars and new tires and ride it into the ground.

That said if you're happy with the Enduro line maybe look at a newer version?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard View Post
    Put a different fork on it (beware you might need a new hub, I can't remember if that fork had a proprietary one or not), wide bars and new tires and ride it into the ground.

That said if you're happy with the Enduro line maybe look at a newer version?
    thanks. i'll keep an eye out for a fork (and stem). definitely proprietary hub with 25mm axle, would need a wheel or at least a hub. i did replace the bars and have new tires, both made a positive difference.

mtbr member
    Congrats on the new to you Enduro, was a good bike in its day!

That 25mm front hub never caught on, Industry 9 was the only company I found that made 25mm adapters.

The shock has 2 mounting positions as you may already have noticed, the lower one drops the BB and slackens the HA slightly.

The e150 fork wasn't around long, it has an attitude adjustment (black knob) which lowers the front from 150mm to 110mm, good for climbing.
    Turn the knob clockwise and push the fork beyond 40mm will activate the short travel setting.

Maybe you already knew this but thought I would pass it along anyway.
    Nice to hear that there are still a few out there, Mine hasn't been ridden in some time as I've moved over to fat bikes as age seems to dictate, the Enduro sent me OTB one too many times! lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2007 Specialized Enduro SL, what do I really have-s-enduro.jpg  

'18 Ithaqua, '16 Bucksaw, '14 Mukluk, '07 Enduro

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the insight. I am familiar with the suspension functionality. As I get back into it, my eyes begin to wander. There are a lot of sweet bikes out there. I wouldn't expect it to ride like modern tech, but it seems to ride pretty nicely.

EDR
    if the fork and shock are functioning properly consider yourself lucky and ride it into the ground. That e-150 fork was a nightmare. I remember a thread over 1,000 posts about that fork. My buddy has a 2007 still sitting in his garage. it was a great bike for him he just can't ride anymore with back surgery. His fork was service twice and finally replaced by specialized when it was about a year or two old, they tended to spew oil all over the stanchions. Several things on those bikes are proprietary and not worth really exploring replacements for. Hub choice/fork dropouts for one, probably shock specs as well.

In the end I recommend riding the crap out of it or do you like you said, sell it and spend more for something newer. Check pinkbike, 2K should get you something pretty nice. How much nicer than the old Enduro? I don't know. Maybe 10 years newer though. I'd imagine you can find a 2016-2017 Enduro for around 2K.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I had one, and was probably lucky in that the suspension never seriously failed when I was riding the bike but I ended up getting several new sets of fork internals under warranty each time the bike got serviced and I seem to remember getting a new shock as well. In the end I swapped the fork and shock out for Fox components which was easy at the time since the shock is a common size and most high end forks 10 years ago still had 1 1/8" steerers. I think it ended up with coil 36's and a DHX which I thought was a lot better for downhill performance than the own brand parts.

I'd agree with the others - if you like the bike keep riding it. They were good bikes and rode well.

Suspension aside, the key differences with something newer, like a new Enduro or Reign will mostly be geometry related - somewhat slacker head angle, longer wheelbase and probably a bit more reach. That IMO means more stability and confidence downhill.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    thanks all, really appreciate the feedback. it does ride well, both front and rear suspension seem to be in really good condition. the action is smooth, no leaks. gotta the the po had all the bugs worked out over the years. i believe he was the original owner. it certainly seems there was real love/hate relationship with the suspension.

i'll definitely ride it this season, especially since the minister of finance say no way on a new bike, although she wants one. we'll see what next year brings.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by mrscullini View Post
    thanks all, really appreciate the feedback. it does ride well, both front and rear suspension seem to be in really good condition. .
    If the suspension and drivetrain is all good ( and I wouldn't expect them to be on a bike that old) then I don't see how you could have done any better for $600. Yeah it's relatively old but that was a $3k+ bike back in the day and I don't see how riding it in 2020 would be any less fun than in 2007.
    Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    thanks. i gotta imagine the suspension was regularly serviced. the po was pretty anal, plus the action is pretty smooth.

he did upgrade the drivetrain to 1x11.

funny thing, just saw the same bike posted on my local cl for $1400, not that it will sell for that. still looks to have the original drivetrain.

EDR
    yeah you did good for sure. That bike is truly capable of riding most anything the average and even advanced rider could throw at it.

My buddy rode his all over Arizona in the chunkiest of terrain and all over Moab and Colorado and everywhere else we went. it's probably honestly a little overkill for tame trails but that doesn't matter. It's not a pig of a bike so even on average XC type trails it's not like you'll be dragging around a wet blanket. it's a cool bike and as much as I hate specialized in general (for reasons that don't matter here) it seems like an awesome deal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    yeah you did good for sure. That bike is truly capable of riding most anything the average and even advanced rider could throw at it.

My buddy rode his all over Arizona in the chunkiest of terrain and all over Moab and Colorado and everywhere else we went. it's probably honestly a little overkill for tame trails but that doesn't matter. It's not a pig of a bike so even on average XC type trails it's not like you'll be dragging around a wet blanket. it's a cool bike and as much as I hate specialized in general (for reasons that don't matter here) it seems like an awesome deal.
    thanks for the feedback. i'll have to stop worrying about the grass being greener on the other side and just ride.