2007 Giant Reigh X1 6.7- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2007 Giant Reigh X1 6.7

I can get a used 2007 Giant Reign X1 6.7 for $1175. Would that be a good deal or not? Also being used, there are a few scuffs, which doesn't bother me since I'm sure that I'll be adding to them. But the one on the fork tube kinda concerns me. I attached a pic, does it look like the seal could leak or does it look ok?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2007 Giant Reigh X1 6.7-giantreign-9.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The scuff looks shallow enough that you could just sand it down. That is a tough bike, but if the person you're buying it from has abused it, you never know what you're going to get. Have the fork and shock been rebuilt? How old is the drivetrain? When were the handlebars and stem replaced? Check very carefully for cracks on the frame. If everything checks out and has been cared for properly, it's a nice bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    ^ Why does it matter when the bars and stem were changed?

That doesn't look that bad, I think you'll be fine. I've got an 08 X2 and it is a beast. Taken a lot of crashes and there's no issue's with it. The bike is capable of climbing, but it's a pig, I would just keep the weight in mind. Every hill I get to I always ask why I do it to my self, than the trail points down and I know why.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    the scratch seems to br minor. just sand it down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloMyNameIsSean View Post
    ^ Why does it matter when the bars and stem were changed?
    It matters because aluminum fatigues. Carbon fiber fatigues. If it hasn't been replaced in 5 years, it can snap, causing damage to not only your bars and/or stem, but your face. The fact that you're giving other people advice about bikes scares me just a little bit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    It matters because aluminum fatigues. Carbon fiber fatigues. If it hasn't been replaced in 5 years, it can snap, causing damage to not only your bars and/or stem, but your face. The fact that you're giving other people advice about bikes scares me just a little bit.
    That might be a good policy - buying a used bike, spend a few more $$ and replace the handlebars, at least, and maybe the stem, although I haven't heard of stems breaking, they're mostly pretty overbuilt.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yeah, I haven't seen too many stems break, but it does happen once in a while. Handlebars break quite often. I just wouldn't risk running a bar and stem that are 5 years old, unless they are seriously overbuilt, and I know they haven't been abused. Things like the seatpost and fork should also be replaced if seriously used for 5 years, but you likely won't die if a seatpost breaks or fork crown cracks. Tires and drivetrain likely need to be replaced as well. People usually don't replace a drivetrain, which can cost hundreds of dollars, just before they sell the bike. The tire in the pic looks to be rather new, however...

mtbr member
    Says that it's had a full tune up and including drivetrain cleaning. Also says that it has been given a complete overhaul.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    What exactly does a "complete overhaul" mean? Is that a fork and shock rebuild, new chain and cables, fresh pivot bearings, and full tune-up? If you can see the bike, check the cassette and chainrings to make sure that they don't have a shark fin look to them, and measure the chain for stretch. It should measure 12-12 1/16" between 12 pins. If it's 12 1/8" or longer, the teeth look like fins, or the bike skips under heavy load, you need a new drivetrain. I'm not saying it wouldn't still be worth it, but it would add around $100-150. Bearings and install run a bit under $100. I wouldn't worry too much about the fork, but you would want to carefully sand down the stanchions. That's not a bad price if everything checks out. I miss my '08 Reign X2.

mtbr member
    What exactly does a "complete overhaul" mean? Is that a fork and shock rebuild, new chain and cables, fresh pivot bearings, and full tune-up? If you can see the bike, check the cassette and chainrings to make sure that they don't have a shark fin look to them, and measure the chain for stretch. It should measure 12-12 1/16" between 12 pins. If it's 12 1/8" or longer, the teeth look like fins, or the bike skips under heavy load, you need a new drivetrain. I'm not saying it wouldn't still be worth it, but it would add around $100-150. Bearings and install run a bit under $100. I wouldn't worry too much about the fork, but you would want to carefully sand down the stanchions. That's not a bad price if everything checks out. I miss my '08 Reign X2.
    Alright, I'll ask about all of that. And what would you use to sand down the fork, 1000 grit?

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    I read an article in a mag that said every component in a mountain bike is past its optimal stress level (and should be replaced) after 2 years. CF frames in 3, and aluminum frames in 5. Averaging 11 hours of riding a week or something. Probably marketing BS, but who knows, its something to think about.

1200 for an X1 that is now 5 years old is not a 'great' deal depending on its use, you may damn well need to replace almost every part on that thing to make it dependable.

Drivetrain cleaning means they didnt replace anything...if they did they would need to clean it.

Offer 950 to replace cassette rings and chain.

SamIAm
    bs. been riding 05 sxt well, since 05 and it still has the same same stem that is fine. everything has been changed over the years tho. including 2 chainstays.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    A stem is not something worth risking, in my opinion. A lot of people run components over 10 years without problems. It depends on the component, person, and environment. Any component on a Reign X has the real possibility of being abused. Like I said, I wouldn't risk it. It's not like a $35 stem is a deal breaker.

mtbr member
    Would it be a better deal to get an '09 with parts that aren't as good than an '07 with better parts?

mtbr member
    Parts on the '09
    Giant Reign X
    Size: M 57 510 6.7 of Maestro Suspension
    Rear Shock: Fox VanRC Coil
    Fork: Marzocchi Bomber 66RC3
    Stem: Truvativ 50mm Husefelt
    Hndlebar: Easton Havoc
    Grips: New Azonic Lock on
    Brakes: Hayse Stroker Ride 203/185mm rotors
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur: Sram X.5
    Front Shifter: Sram X.5
    Rear Shifter: Sram X.7 9speed
    Cassette: Shimano HG 11/32
    Chain: Sram PC 971
    Crank Set: Truvativ Howitzer Ruktion
    Guide: E-13 Dual Ring Security
    Pedals: Welgo Aluminum Cage.
    Wheel Set: Easton Havoc
    Tires: Maxxis Minion DH F 2.5 EXO Casing
    Saddle: Setn SR
    Seat Post: Giant Contact Switch 100mm adjustable

Parts on the '07
    Fox Vanilla 36mm stanchion fork with 160mm of travel, matched with a Fox DHX 3.0 Coil shock with 6.7" of travel
    Uses the newer Maestro Rotating Pivot Suspension technology
    Avid Juicy 5 hydraulic brakes, front and rear, 160mm rear rotor, 185mm front, pads still good
    SRAM X7 rear shifter (9spd)
    SRAM X9 rear derailleur
    Shimano front shifter, LX front derailleur
    Race Face Ride DH crankset (24T/36T) with double chainring compatible chain tensioner
    Wheels are Formula hubs laced to WTB rims, front hub is 20mm through axle
    WTB saddle is starting to get a little chewed up but still ok
    Tires are 26x2.5 Maxxis and are in fair to good condition
    Easton EA50 lowriser bar, Easton Vice stem, and Easton EA50 seatpost br>

mtbr member
    An 09 marzocchi fork isnt exactly confidence instilling.

mtbr member
    J5's have their problems.. if you dont like them, replacing brakes isnt a huge deal. They work well, they just have a tendency to be noisy (really really noisy).

Id probably steer towards the 07, even though its older and has that scuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    An 09 marzocchi fork isnt exactly confidence instilling.
    So the '07 would be the better bike which the parts listed even though it's a little older? I'm reading mixed reviews on the breaks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    J5's have their problems.. if you dont like them, replacing brakes isnt a huge deal. They work well, they just have a tendency to be noisy (really really noisy).

Id probably steer towards the 07, even though its older and has that scuff.
    Alright cool, I was under the impression that the fork on the '09 was good, so I'm glad you said something about that haha.

mtbr member
    Its a good fork.. they ride really nice, and RC3 forks seemed to have fewer problems. If its a coil RC3 you're probably ok.. but definitely do your research, those were bad years for marz.

Members who have read this thread: 1