2003 to 2019 Enduro Mountain Bike Geometry Comparison Changes overlay video- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2020

2003 to 2019 Enduro Mountain Bike Geometry Comparison Changes overlay video

<span style="color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87); font-family: Roboto, Noto, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; white-space: pre-wrap;">

My bike is a early 2003 model, there must have been two models in 2003, I can't find any info on the early 2003 model, everything I find is of the later model, the one with the lower top tube. Kona didn't use the word Enduro until 2008 from what I'm seeing on the internet. In 2003 they used the build category words, Downhill, Out of Bounds and Free Ride. Free Ride became phrased as Free Ride/Enduro in 2008. Stinky is a Out of Bounds in 2003.I think the Coiler/Coilair was one if the first bikes that was most like the Enduro before Enduro was a thing. Stinky was in the
    Out of Bounds lineup when the word Enduro was used in marketing 2008-2010 on.

"Cane Creek" not "Crane". The straight to tapered steering tube needs to be 44mm clear, not the standard 34mm, from what I'm seeing on the internet, the adapter won't work on my bike.
    [/COLOR]
    Last edited by Scott98045; 07-19-2020 at 02:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott98045 View Post
    I think the Coiler/Coilair was one if the first bikes that was most like the Enduro before Enduro was a thing. Stinky wasn't in the lineup when the word Enduro was used in marketing.
    You could probably do something with the Specialized Enduro. It's been in continual production, since, what, 1999?

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/the-ev...duro-2016.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    You mention that you can't find geometry info. This is from classickona.com:

2003 Stinky

Maybe yours is a 2002 frame carried over into 2003.

In any event, the major changes are going to be in wheelbase, head tube angle and reach (horizontal distance from center of crank to top of head tube). That 2003 is going to have a lot less space to the handlebars when you're standing on the pedals. The seat tube is surprisingly steep for a 2003 bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

I have over laid 2002 and 2003, and found my bike's top tube is in between the two

there is about a 6" difference between 2002 and 2003 top tube height, mine's in between the two. I've seen other numerous bikes on the internet with the same paint scheme and top tube height.

someone at Kona thought it was the right way to go, and went further with the idea.

thanks for the message, I've been to that site.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2003 to 2019 Enduro Mountain Bike Geometry Comparison Changes overlay video-kona-geometery-copy1.jpg  

Last edited by Scott98045; 07-19-2020 at 01:17 PM. Reason: added photo overlay

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

so I've been playing around with the alignment of the photos......

And I have found my bike for some reason is sitting in a more slacker stance, it is the 2002 frame, with the 2003 paint scheme. Still haven't figured out how the top tube is lower, and the forks are more slacker. The front and rear shocks are stock, Fox Vanilla 7.9", Dirt Jumper III.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott98045 View Post
    ... Still haven't figured out how the top tube is lower...
    Different size frames maybe? Women's versus men's frame?
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

Trail Ninja
    So basically, you're implying that the reach and seat tube angle have lengthened and steepened due to the BB moving back. Wheelbase increase from slightly slacker HA and the BB moving back, which moved the rear axle back (more space between BB and front).

People making a big deal about 20mm here and there, when that is like the width of a thumb?

You guys would probably roast me if I shared how I quickly eye bikes to see if they are even worth considering. xD
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

even though it looks like a 2002 with a high top tube it's a 2003 Stinky

think they used different size bikes in there photos, small, medium, large, x large, xx large. So my xlarge bike over laid on their small bike, don't look like the same bike frame, for that year. Top tubes lowered 2.5" from 2002 to 2003 in the same sizes, example xlarge 35" to 32.5".
    Last edited by Scott98045; 07-30-2020 at 12:20 PM. Reason: complete edit