[Frame protection]- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Tin Man
    Reputation: L8str's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    69

    [Frame protection]

    While the Spider frame is out for powder coat I want look at other options for frame protection. These are the down tube and chain stay pieces that came with the frame. They look like synthetic leather. Is there something better in the aftermarket?

    [Frame protection]-frame-protection.jpg


    .
    Why do women have boobs? So you got something to look at while you're talking to them. -peter griffin

  2. #2
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,993
    Something that I have been looking at lately is Shelter Tape, which is similar to helicopter tape but more impact resistant apparently. Vikb showed me this stuff.
    Other option is that you can do your own hard protector like that with Kydex, there is a thread over on Pinkbike that shows how a guy just basically heated a sheet of Kydex in his oven then just laid it over the part that needed the protection and let it mold and cool on its own.

    EDIT: found the article, see link
    Last edited by gregnash; 02-27-2019 at 09:06 AM. Reason: found article

  3. #3
    Tin Man
    Reputation: L8str's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    69
    Since Kydex is hard I think the chain will make noise when contacting it so I won't use it on the chain stay. However, I think it will be perfect for the downtube. The piece for the spider will be simpler than the on pictured. I purchased a sheet of .080 on ebay. Thanks for the tip. -ted


    [Frame protection]-zytek-1.jpg
    Why do women have boobs? So you got something to look at while you're talking to them. -peter griffin

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    582
    How does that guard stay attached to the downtube? Do you use two sided tape, or does it stay in place because it is Moldau to the bike frame?
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Something that I have been looking at lately is Shelter Tape, which is similar to helicopter tape but more impact resistant apparently....
    I use Helicopter Tape now. I need to read about Shelter Tape.... Thanks.

  6. #6
    Tin Man
    Reputation: L8str's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    69
    The Kydex guard will "snap" on so not much is needed to secure it. I plan on using thin 2 sided carpet tape (not the foam stuff).
    Why do women have boobs? So you got something to look at while you're talking to them. -peter griffin

  7. #7
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,763
    Quote Originally Posted by j102 View Post
    I use Helicopter Tape now. I need to read about Shelter Tape.... Thanks.
    There are two different varieties. One has Shelter written all over it. The other one does not. You may wish to ensure you are getting the latter, especially if you order online.

    I just bought a bunch with the shitty Shelter logo all over it, that I am returning.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    There are two different varieties. One has Shelter written all over it. The other one does not. You may wish to ensure you are getting the latter, especially if you order online.

    I just bought a bunch with the shitty Shelter logo all over it, that I am returning.
    Yeah, I wouldn’t want the one with the logo all over it. Thanks.

  9. #9
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,993
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    There are two different varieties. One has Shelter written all over it. The other one does not. You may wish to ensure you are getting the latter, especially if you order online.

    I just bought a bunch with the shitty Shelter logo all over it, that I am returning.
    Where did you buy said version with the logo on it?

  10. #10
    Live Free & Ride
    Reputation: NH Mtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,426
    I have used Shelter in the past, but it did have the logos and has started to peel up on the edges after 3 years....so it is good stuff.

    I am now starting to look at 3M clear adhesives, like this one...
    https://www.amazon.com/Scotchgard-Cl...omotive&sr=1-4

    -Check out the 4th review down for application.
    NEMBA
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

  11. #11
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,763
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Where did you buy said version with the logo on it?
    MEC in Canada. The equivalent of REI in the US.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: aliikane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,294
    Quote Originally Posted by L8str View Post
    Since Kydex is hard I think the chain will make noise when contacting it so I won't use it on the chain stay. However, I think it will be perfect for the downtube. The piece for the spider will be simpler than the on pictured. I purchased a sheet of .080 on ebay. Thanks for the tip. -ted


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zytek 1.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	404.8 KB 
ID:	1240092

    That looks super clean. What thickness did you use? How did you press it onto the frame to get the shape? Seems difficult because there is so much area to press.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: aliikane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,294
    I have used Lizards Skins Frame Protection and it works well for the downtube. Also, I have used Gorilla Grip Tape or Helicopter tape on the frame but it leaves so much adhesive residue that is difficult to remove. I am going to try car vinyl clear bra sheets this time around to see how well that works.

  14. #14
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,993
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    That looks super clean. What thickness did you use? How did you press it onto the frame to get the shape? Seems difficult because there is so much area to press.
    If you read the pinkbike link the guy uses .08" thickness kydex. Basically with kydex, once it heats to over 200*F it becomes pliable. The OP in the PB thread heated it in his oven so the sheet became somewhat floppy then placed over the frame letting it fall and mold itself to the bike. Probably used a heat gun to warm it up and do further pressing into areas to get it to make the more complex bends.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: aliikane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,294
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    If you read the pinkbike link the guy uses .08" thickness kydex. Basically with kydex, once it heats to over 200*F it becomes pliable. The OP in the PB thread heated it in his oven so the sheet became somewhat floppy then placed over the frame letting it fall and mold itself to the bike. Probably used a heat gun to warm it up and do further pressing into areas to get it to make the more complex bends.
    Thanks. I didn't see that link because I didn't read the entire thread. Lol.

  16. #16
    Tin Man
    Reputation: L8str's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    69
    Why do women have boobs? So you got something to look at while you're talking to them. -peter griffin

  17. #17
    Tin Man
    Reputation: L8str's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    69
    My Kydex sheets arrived yesterday. I will be using the procedure gregn described to work it.
    Why do women have boobs? So you got something to look at while you're talking to them. -peter griffin

  18. #18
    Undercaffienated
    Reputation: hmorsi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by L8str View Post
    My Kydex sheets arrived yesterday. I will be using the procedure gregn described to work it.
    Please share your end result with us! I am looking into making something similar for my carbon frame.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,253
    I made a kydex protector and it works a treat. I also use All Mountain Style frame skin elsewhere and it's been the best of many I've tried over the years, not cheap though.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    939
    Found this Kydex like material called Boltaron 4332 on Amazon as well with a carbon look. Second link is a good deal for 4 sheets of the Kydex.

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N34OD4E...04_03_t_img_lh

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X9BVY4G...02_03_t_img_lh
    *2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom Build*
    *2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom Build*
    *2017 Knolly Warden Custom Build*

  21. #21
    Tin Man
    Reputation: L8str's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    69
    Got the down tube protector done for the Spider. Kydex is very easy to work with. Band sawed to size, a little filing and sanding and it was ready to heat. A friend told me not to use a good toaster oven because the Kydex would stink it up. Looked at the local thrift stores for an old one but no luck so I used our good one and there was absolutely no odor left behind. I installed it with carpet tape.

    [Frame protection]-kydex-1.jpg

    [Frame protection]-kydex-2.jpg


    .
    Why do women have boobs? So you got something to look at while you're talking to them. -peter griffin

Similar Threads

  1. Continental Race King Protection & X King Protection
    By Richard36 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-04-2017, 03:50 PM
  2. Frame protection and fork protection tape
    By Roadking1962 in forum Pivot Cycles
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-10-2013, 07:53 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-01-2012, 08:28 AM
  4. Protection... Bike Protection that is..
    By go1d1e in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-30-2011, 01:41 AM
  5. Leg protection or Arm protection?
    By misctwo in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-03-2006, 04:23 PM

Members who have read this thread: 157

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.