mtbr member
    Nov 2012

$5k - what and why

Time to replace the ol Process 134DL. It's been a fantastic bike but it's time has come. Riding slanted toward XC but days in Truckee and other places require more than a pure XC bike can offer. It will need to pull double duty as a trail bike and occasional XC race (not competitive) bike, basically it can't be a tank to pedal, my rides average 100 to 150 ft. of elevation per mile so I need pedalability.
    Current favorites in order:
    Everyone has a Santa Cruz, likely for good reason but I don't want one.

SB5
    Ripmo
    429 Trail

What else do I need to look at in the $5k range?

mtbr member
    The three bikes you listed cover a pretty wide spectrum.

Sounds like you want a 29 bike with 100-120 ish travel. And for $5k options are limitless. So comes down to demo-ing. Demo as many bikes as you can. Something along the lines of Yeti SB100 and Intense Sniper. New age, short travel trail bikes.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater View Post
    Everyone has a Santa Cruz, likely for good reason but I don't want one.

SB5
    Ripmo
    429 Trail

What else do I need to look at in the $5k range?
    I'm a Guerrilla Gravity fan boy. Have you considered their Trail Pistol (120) or Smash (140)? Good climbers, good descenders, playful.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Yeet so hard
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    I'm a Guerrilla Gravity fan boy. Have you considered their Trail Pistol (120) or Smash (140)? Good climbers, good descenders, playful.
    =sParty
    I love my smash. That said, you might lean towards a trail pistol. Keep it at 120 for every day riding and then put a longer shock on it (maybe even a coil) and bump it to 130mm rear for the chunkier days. Could also bump the fork travel for those days. $Party (^) knows more about this than me. He did it.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I wish GG would make an XS size or the small was at least 1/2 shorter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'll look at Guerrilla, don't know much of them. The SB100 is about as sexy a bike as I've seen but I think I'd want a bit more for days at Downieville and Tahoe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    I wish GG would make an XS size or the small was at least 1/2 shorter.
    I believe that they do make an XS.

If you contact them, they have custom options available.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    I'd agree with Sparticus that a Guerilla Gravity Trail Pistol would work quite well for what you describe.

https://ridegg.com/trailpistol

http://forums.mtbr.com/guerrilla-gra...l-1017814.html

Custom options for that one. The MRP Ribbon fork is an awesome choice for a build.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post

This I didn't know, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ripmo might just be the Goldilocks - especially if you keep 2 sets of tires or wheels, one for XC and one for trail/enduro.

Another option that intrigued me is the Spot Mayhem. Their Living-link is similar to DW-link but with added leaf spring. Riding buddy has the Spot Rollik 557 and feels to pedals/climbs like a goat.

New Pivots are cool, but I wouldn't want to deal with Superboost.

Rocky Mountain Instinct is another intriguing bike. But here in the US, they seem to have longer wait times the the Ripmo.

mtbr member
    I'll look at Guerrilla, don't know much of them. The SB100 is about as sexy a bike as I've seen but I think I'd want a bit more for days at Downieville and Tahoe.
    So you want something more "trail" oriented but closer to XC racing than enduro racing?

Next level up from SB100 would be the SB4.5. Ibis Ripley, Pivot Trail 429 or similar styles of bikes.

This article might be useful in gauging where all these bikes relate to each other
    29er Trail Bikes — A Guide + Comparisons | Blister Gear Review - Skis, Snowboards, Mountain Bikes, Climbing, Kayaking

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The Spot has me interested as well, where are their build spec's noted? The more I think about it the more I'm leaning to longer travel. I have a Honzo CR which works for most of the local stuff. If the Rollik and some of the other bikes pedalabilty is as touted and not just marketing hype then why not?

Out spokin'
    The more I think about it the more I'm leaning to longer travel.
    Longer travel but not too long? That's right where I am. Without intending to come off as an arm twister, may I recommend this informative & interesting review of the GG Smash.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review...ity-smash.html
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The Spot has me interested as well, where are their build spec's noted? The more I think about it the more I'm leaning to longer travel. I have a Honzo CR which works for most of the local stuff. If the Rollik and some of the other bikes pedalabilty is as touted and not just marketing hype then why not?
    Their website is pretty bad. They spend too much trying to hype up Living Link. It's basically a DW-link with flexy pivot link so they get around the patent.

You need to click "Build Kits" under "Technical Information" to get that info.

Short-Change-Hero
    There is a demo coming up with the Meyer Mtb Festival in South Lake Tahoe this weekend. Lots of rides going to be there but at $55/person (they are apparently shuttling Corral) that is too rich for my blood.

For me, I have a custom GG Smash that I am currently working on with them. Super responsive and helpful group, everything I have seen/read points to awesome bikes, and tonight I am testing out a Medium to see how well it fits me and rides. I would say look at the Trail Pistol and go for a Pistola build (130 rear instead of 120) with a 140 fork and then you should have a proper trail slayer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The Shred Dog actually seems to foot the bill pretty well. Glad to hear they will be in Meyers, not sure I want to fight the 4th of July traffic on 50 to get there but I would love to sling a leg over since I'm 5'11 and leggy so I'm typically right between sizes from most brands. Tend toward a Large these days since I'm much more comfortable on my L Honzo than I am on my Med Process. Actually bent my seat rails last week on the Process and think it was due to it being almost maxed back as well as a rut induced funky ghost ride off the back of the bike. My recent tendency to crash has me leary of a carbon bike but they are so damned lusty looking that they are hard to look away from.
    Now I'm at Rollick, YT Capra, Guerrilla Shred Dog or maybe Smash, Canfield Balance, still like the Ripmo too. Maybe a Process 153? I've always been happy with my Kona's. Damn, so many good options out there.
    This isn't helping.

mtbr member
    The Shred Dog actually seems to foot the bill pretty well. Glad to hear they will be in Meyers, not sure I want to fight the 4th of July traffic on 50 to get there but I would love to sling a leg over since I'm 5'11 and leggy so I'm typically right between sizes from most brands. Tend toward a Large these days since I'm much more comfortable on my L Honzo than I am on my Med Process. Actually bent my seat rails last week on the Process and think it was due to it being almost maxed back as well as a rut induced funky ghost ride off the back of the bike. My recent tendency to crash has me leary of a carbon bike but they are so damned lusty looking that they are hard to look away from.
    Now I'm at Rollick, YT Capra, Guerrilla Shred Dog or maybe Smash, Canfield Balance, still like the Ripmo too. Maybe a Process 153? I've always been happy with my Kona's. Damn, so many good options out there.
    This isn't helping.
    I'm the same height and ride a medium Shred Dogg which fits me perfectly with a setback seatpost. This bike rips like nothing else that I've ever ridden.

mtbr member
    I have built my own bikes for a long time. Always from frame. I only have one bike that does it all.

If my bike was stolen, I would be extremely tempted to buy a Canyon or YT. You get a better value from them any day of the year than you do during the end-of-model-year sales that everyone else does.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post

Confirmed for a megatrail/smash frame. I don't know about the Trail Pistol though.
    French line enthusiast and expat in Denver, ig; lazoup

I Like bikes, I really do

mtbr member
    Intense Primer with a 140 fork. You can change the rear travel from 130 to 115 for your occasional XC race. I have had one for for over a year and ride it in the same places as you. Make sure you check out the Intense website for the outlet bikes. You can save a bunch of money.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierp View Post
    Confirmed for a megatrail/smash frame. I don't know about the Trail Pistol though.
    Pretty sure that the front triangles are all the same for the most part. They change things up by adding a different rear triangle and then changing the location of the shock mount on the front triangle (my guess).

Have seen pics of an XS where they flipped the top tube upside down to allow the rider the proper standover height, but it then gets rid of the mounts for a water bottle (which you can special order ones added to the downtube if you want). Seriously, give them a shout they are SUPER helpful and nice people.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Maybe a Process 153?
    I don't think you want a P153 if you're doing a lot of climbing, unless you want to be a slave to the lockout.

You're trying to cover a really broad range with one bike.... chances are a dual link (DW/VPP/etc) will be a better pedaler all else being equal.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle242gt View Post
    I don't think you want a P153 if you're doing a lot of climbing, unless you want to be a slave to the lockout.

You're trying to cover a really broad range with one bike.... chances are a dual link (DW/VPP/etc) will be a better pedaler all else being equal.
    The new suspension for 2018 on the Process isnt bad.