$500 or $3500 is the question . . . .- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

$500 or $3500 is the question . . . .

I recently got back into cycling and bought a Cannondale Supersix 5 road bike. And, I'm also interested in mountain biking. The last mountain bike I owned was a Cannondale HT almost 20 yrs. ago.

I'm looking into getting a FS mountain bike (AM). I do have my eyes set on Yeti SB66 or 575, but I will need to save up! In the meantime I want to start riding and thinking of getting a used FS bike for $500 or less.

In the $500 or less FS category what are some decent choices. I'm considering the following at the moment:

GT XCR 5000
    Giant Yukon or Warp

What other decent choices are out there at this rock bottom used prices?
    Last edited by Mergetrio; 07-19-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Bassmaster
    Jul 2012
    how about a new HT while you stockpile cash? You may end up catching upgrade or repair fever which could threaten your dream ride

Big Gulps, Alright!
    The Yukon and Warp are both pretty much junk. Especially if they're used - those bikes cost $500-$1000 new, and you just can't build a FS bike for that price.

I'd get a nice used hardtail - you'll do much better for the money.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    What about a Specialized FSR XC Comp for $875? I think it's 2008 or 2009 model?

OR

2007 Trek Fuel 6.0 for $750? (Some bike shop told me that I should get used Trek bikes from 2008 or 2009 and beyond b/c the suspension design vastly improved (?)
    Last edited by Mergetrio; 07-19-2012 at 08:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fat1 View Post
    You may end up catching upgrade or repair fever which could threaten your dream ride
    This is very true and likely!

mtbr member
    Just another echo of what others have said. As someone who values quality bikes, you know that a crappy ride can ruin the fun of the sport. By all means, enjoy what you have and ride the piss out of it, but just be aware that a decent entry-level hardtail is essential to every stable. Not as an every ride bike, but as a backup and buddy bike. Your skills will improve faster on a hardtail too. Scour craigslist for a used hardtail and don't look back.
    "So let's recap here:
    You asked a question.
    You got an answer.
    You proceed to make an ass out of yourself."

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post

I'd get a nice used hardtail - you'll do much better for the money.
    I had a hardtail, but want to get used to a full suspension bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergetrio View Post
    If it's mechanically sound that wouldn't be bad, but try to talk them down to $600. It's a 4 year old bike and bike tech has changed quite a bit. Not saying that the new tech is superior in every way, but it's a good argument for someone trying to haggle.
    "So let's recap here:
    You asked a question.
    You got an answer.
    You proceed to make an ass out of yourself."

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergetrio View Post

OR

2007 Trek Fuel 6.0 for $750? (Some bike shop told me that I should get used Trek bikes from 2008 or 2009 and beyond b/c the suspension design vastly improved (?)
    If the FSR XC is in great shape, that's not a terrible price. I'd try talking them down a bit, especially if it looks like it's got a lot of miles on it. The '08 FSR XC borrowed suspension design from the 04-07 Stumpjumpers. 09 and newer is more like the 08 SJ.

In 2008 Trek switched over to a drastically new suspension design that is far better than 07 and older. Be forewarned, they have had warranty issues with some of the earlier (08 and 09) frames. Personally, I wouldn't buy a Trek without the warranty (applicable to original owners only).

EDIT: IIRC, only the EX7 and higher had the newer suspension tech.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    If the FSR XC is in great shape, that's not a terrible price. I'd try talking them down a bit, especially if it looks like it's got a lot of miles on it. The '08 FSR XC borrowed suspension design from the 04-07 Stumpjumpers. 09 and newer is more like the 08 SJ.

In 2008 Trek switched over to a drastically new suspension design that is far better than 07 and older. Be forewarned, they have had warranty issues with some of the earlier (08 and 09) frames. Personally, I wouldn't buy a Trek without the warranty (applicable to original owners only).

EDIT: IIRC, only the EX7 and higher had the newer suspension tech.
    Thanks for the info. Apparently, the Specialized was stored away for 2 yrs and was hardly ridden. The original price was $1,350. I'm waiting to find out whether the bike is a 2009 model.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Keep looking. You should be able to find a good deal on a quality used bike. I got a used Gary Fisher FS a couple years ago for $250, rode it until it cracked a weld, then spent $3500+ on a new bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Salt Yeti View Post
    Keep looking. You should be able to find a good deal on a quality used bike. I got a used Gary Fisher FS a couple years ago for $250, rode it until it cracked a weld, then spent $3500+ on a new bike.
    There is a quite a bit of Gary Fisher bikes on Craigslist, though I know nothing about him or the models (yes I'm a newbie). Which model is FS?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Not much wrong with getting that fsrxc for thqt price if it is in good condition. Be aware that better suspension designs will ride much better so if you get it, don't let it set your FS expectations. About 50% of what it cost new would be a fair price unless its in pristine condition.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    Not much wrong with getting that fsrxc for thqt price if it is in good condition. Be aware that better suspension designs will ride much better so if you get it, don't let it set your FS expectations. About 50% of what it cost new would be a fair price unless its in pristine condition.
    I found that the Specialized is a 2009 model, but the frame size is medium which is bit big for me - I'm 5' 7".

undercover brother
    I'd go with a decent HT, maybe between $700-1200. Then start saving your money for that niiice FS. It will be nice to have both, and the HT can be upgraded as you progress. No sense in having a sharty FS and a nice FS because you'll never ride that sharty one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    I'd go with a decent HT, maybe between $700-1200. Then start saving your money for that niiice FS. It will be nice to have both, and the HT can be upgraded as you progress. No sense in having a sharty FS and a nice FS because you'll never ride that sharty one.
    That's definitely a thought to consider. But, my thinking is that I get a decent used bike, ride it, then sell it when I'm in a position to get a really nice FS.

FWIW, an avid rider told me that, at least here in NJ, the terrain requires a lot of technical riding because, in part, the terrain is full of rocks that need to be navigated. And, he did advise that FS bike is really the way to go here, especially if I just want to own one MB. Plus, 70% of the time I foresee myself on my road bike due to easy accessibility to paved roads.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That fsrxc might still be ok for you. I'm 5'8 / 5'9 and I'd ride the medium. Their small was really small that year, like 21.8 inch ETT and had a 75mm stem. Med was 23.25 inch ETT with a 90mm stem. It might be worth a test ride with the understanding that you will throw on a 70mm stem and 720mm bars. I'd still check it out if I were you. Lots of manufacturers are going longer ETT now for more room in the cockpit. Lots of mediums running 23.5 to 23.75 ETT now.

Go test ridden that bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    That fsrxc might still be ok for you. I'm 5'8 / 5'9 and I'd ride the medium. Their small was really small that year, like 21.8 inch ETT and had a 75mm stem. Med was 23.25 inch ETT with a 90mm stem. It might be worth a test ride with the understanding that you will throw on a 70mm stem and 720mm bars. I'd still check it out if I were you. Lots of manufacturers are going longer ETT now for more room in the cockpit. Lots of mediums running 23.5 to 23.75 ETT now.

Go test ridden that bike!
    Interestingly, the seller is also 5' 7" like me. And, he admitted that the frame was a bit large for him too - pretty honest. I'm scouring craigslist and making a list - I might just go check it out and see.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Fezzari Lone Peak! $499 and you get a bike with half decent parts plus when you order online they custom fit it for you. You give them measurements and it comes ready for you. It's not going to compare to a higher priced bike but it's good quality and a good bike for that kind of money. That's what I ride. I don't ride that often and didn't want to shell out $1000 or more just for a bike. That's what I would recommend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by IHRider View Post
    Fezzari Lone Peak! $499 and you get a bike with half decent parts plus when you order online they custom fit it for you. You give them measurements and it comes ready for you. It's not going to compare to a higher priced bike but it's good quality and a good bike for that kind of money. That's what I ride. I don't ride that often and didn't want to shell out $1000 or more just for a bike. That's what I would recommend.
    Thanks for the info! I'm actually looking for a FS bike, and their most inexpensive one is Wiki Peak which is slightly over $1k.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Your opinion on KHS 535 XCT. It's a 2008 model.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Like what others said, get a nice Hardtail and save for your FS rig.. If you get into it alot like most of us, you will end up with a quiver of bikes.. And if you get a nice HT to start, it will be a nice bike to have even once you get your FS..
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

Members who have read this thread: 0