Yukon Arctic Ultra- Mtbr.com
    @adelorenzo

Yukon Arctic Ultra

With all the talk of the ultra races going on over in Alaska, I thought I'd post this here for anyone who might be interested, its a 100/300/430 mile race over here in the Yukon. It follows the Yukon Quest trail.

http://www.arcticultra.de/en.php

Regards,
    Anthony

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Nice idea, but...

what's up with the entry fees?

Entry fees for the Yukon Arctic Ultra 2008 are (excl. 6% GST):

Marathon 100 EURO; 100 Miles 750 EURO; 300 Miles 1,150 EURO; 430 Miles 1,800 EURO postmarked by August 31st, 2007

Marathon 150 EURO; 100 Miles 850 EURO; 300 Miles 1,250 EURO; 430 Miles 1,900 EURO postmarked by January 31st

1 EURO today would cost you US$1.48, plus 6% GST tax.

Registering for the 100 mile race would cost you ~US$1,329 and the 300 mile race would cost you ~US$1,954.

All of a sudden the Su100 and Ultrasport seem like a bargain...

Caveman
    holy crap - and it dosent seem like any bikers have done it the past few years...

mtbr member
    Most of the race is near the road and last year they made everyone stop early becuse it was too cold for the race to go on safely according to the organizers. Wimps! Actually it was -60. Brrrrrr. Andy Heading of the UK, from the Thin White Line film, was smoking everyone on foot and had just left one of the final checkpoints when they called the race early. At least I think this is how the story went. I don't think he was too happy.

@adelorenzo
    Holy cow, that is a lot of money to enter! I hadn't noticed that...

The race is mainly organized out of Germany, which probably explains the high number of European entrants. I guess since you're paying thousands to come over here an extra thousand or so for the entry fee seems alright.

The race course isn't actually on-road, as it follows the Yukon Quest trail.

Regards,
    Anthony

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo

The race course isn't actually on-road, as it follows the Yukon Quest trail.
    Yep, not on road, but close to one for a large portion of the 300 miler.
    I've heard that they put on a very well organized race, but they're never going to get the level of racers that the Ultrasport consistently draws with those entry fees. More like a bunch of rich Euros looking for an ďadventureĒ vacation. Not to say they there hasnít been some good athletes in it, but overall your just attracting a different crowd.

Maybe Ultrasport should mix it up one year and do a race up there for something a little different. After reading that account of Mike and Pat out there though, Iím not sure Iíd want to race somewhere where temps stay that cold for extended periods of time.

@adelorenzo
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger
    Yep, not on road, but close to one for a large portion of the 300 miler.
    I've heard that they put on a very well organized race, but they're never going to get the level of racers that the Ultrasport consistently draws with those entry fees. More like a bunch of rich Euros looking for an ďadventureĒ vacation. Not to say they there hasnít been some good athletes in it, but overall your just attracting a different crowd.
    OK, see what you mean. Some of it is, yeah. The first 40 miles from Whitehorse are definitely pretty road accessible, and then a lot of the stuff between Carmacks and Pelly (the 300 mile race) is on the Yukon river that is close to highways. The section between Takhini, Braeburn and Carmacks is pretty remote though. I've ridden part of that trail in the summer, it's a great 100 km ride with no bail-outs except the beginning or the end of the trail.

Definitely a different bunch, for sure. Not as grassroots as some of the other events, more packaged.

Maybe Ultrasport should mix it up one year and do a race up there for something a little different. After reading that account of Mike and Pat out there though, Iím not sure Iíd want to race somewhere where temps stay that cold for extended periods of time.
    It can really vary... We had a really cold snap last year but I can remember times the Quest has run that it was close to zero, the trail was soft and the dogs were overheating. Just like anywhere, I guess.

Regards,
    Anthony

Members who have read this thread: 0