Worth the trouble??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Worth the trouble??

I am moving to Anchorage from Colorado for the summer, and I'm wondering what the trails are like there. A friend of mine has told me there is no trails and no point in bringing my 575 along for this trip, and I'm having a hard time believing that. Espicially after seeing the pictures from Kodiak a few posts down....So my question is are there any good trails around the Anchorage area? how about downhilling?

No, that's not phonetic
    Bring your 575. There is some cool riding. If you can make it down to the Kenai Peninsula south of Anchorage there area some seriously beautiful trails there too. Not that technical, but super pretty.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Bikes are good

575 ?

If that is a downhill bike, there are less cool trails for you. although, Alyeska is running the tram this year with access to a few of the features they've built the last few summers. If you have a x country/full suspension bike, there are plenty of trails in Anchorage. Like Kodiak man said, there are quite a few miles of fun singletrack on the peninsula. Nice downhill sections with some tech. A lot of riding to do to get to it. Bring your bike. Your friend doesn't know anything. Must watch a lot of tv.

No, that's not phonetic
    The Yeti 575 is a trail bike, not a DH bike.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Alaska Turner Mafia

Bring it!

Especially if you'll be here for the whole summer and will have free time to ride. Your 575 is a perfect bike for Alaska, and there's a ton of trails available to ride both locally around Anchorage and within easy drives. (Mark, the 575 is Yeti's equivalent of your Spot).

Once you get here, post on this forum to hook up with other riders so you can learn some of our options. There's a ton of riders here that welcome newcomers, more than willing to show you around. And if you want to venture from town and explore the state, it's a perfect way. Just remember, our state is huge, so try and set aside a lot of time to explore it. You could see a lot in your summer by getting out often.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks EndoRando thats means alot to me as I know no one up there...I will be there the first week or two of May, and I plan on taking some time to see some the state before I settle down and get a job/apartment. I will post on here when I get there for sure!

Bikes are good

Yeah dude

What those guys said. Your bike is perfect for here. Who said there isn't riding worth bringing a bike for? Whaaa? Funny. yeah post when you get up here. We'll show you around.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yetidhrider
    I am moving to Anchorage from Colorado for the summer, and I'm wondering what the trails are like there. A friend of mine has told me there is no trails and no point in bringing my 575 along for this trip, and I'm having a hard time believing that. Espicially after seeing the pictures from Kodiak a few posts down....So my question is are there any good trails around the Anchorage area? how about downhilling?
    So, if your friend isn't a girl then he's a retard. That's an extremely stupid thing to say. I lived in Golden CO for three years and Vail for one year so I know better..... your friend is an ass hat and thinks that a population of 500,000 can support the same amount of trails as 15 million. Think quality..... not quantity. That being said there are more that 200 miles of trail in Anchorage alone. So, you better like riding alone because unlike the trails in CO.... the trials here will be yours.... and yours alone.

Bring your bike, your fenders, and .44 magnum. You ain't in CO any more Dorothy and that brown fury thing crossing the trail ain't Toto.

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I'm moving from Anchorage to Colorado this summer. I'm taking my 575.

Members who have read this thread: 0